Building your own ROM

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
OK this isn't about building a rom necessarily... but... how do I work with .9.pngs. Ive gotten them edited and fixed in draw9patch, but they need to be recompiled I guess...? All I know is just editing and using draw9patch didn't work, so am I supposed to recompile them in eclipse?

...a lot of stupid hard work just so I can freaking theme my phone perfectly:p

Sent via the Postal Service

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
OK this isn't about building a rom necessarily... but... how do I work with .9.pngs. Ive gotten them edited and fixed in draw9patch, but they need to be recompiled I guess...? All I know is just editing and using draw9patch didn't work, so am I supposed to recompile them in eclipse?

...a lot of stupid hard work just so I can freaking theme my phone perfectly:p

The easiest way to deal with .9 pngs is to add them to some app's res folder, then run a build of at least that app, then look in out/target/product/intermediates/APP_NAME/res/WHEREEVER_YOU_PUT_IT

Reactions: anthonycr

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The easiest way to deal with .9 pngs is to add them to some app's res folder, then run a build of at least that app, then look in out/target/product/intermediates/APP_NAME/res/WHEREEVER_YOU_PUT_IT

Phewf....

Android sdk installed... check
Android platforms set up... check
Adb set up.... check
Java jdk set up... check
Eclipse installed... barely but check
ADT plugins... after two hours of trying to figure it out... check

Well looks like I'm ready to start compiling .9.pngs:p
I think I'll try coding an app while I'm at it, if I can remember my Java from last years summer course... I think I'm becoming addicted slowly but surely to hacking: when you log onto my desktop, its littered with android related files and over twenty zips of roms. ;)

jack454

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I've synced and built iho from source and everything seemed to go well but once the ROM boots on my phone everything works but I get no signal at all. Switch back to backside and everything is normal again... I did do the new radio update. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Did you find an answer to this? I'm still having the problem.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So why don't ICS apks decompile properly... I tried decompiling some and you get a lot of errors.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You are decompiling the java class files?

I was using apktool, and when I decompile an GB apk, it decompiles perfectly spitting all the smali files into the folder. When I tried decompiling Trebuchet launcher, it couldn't decompile the smali stuff so basically it didn't compile. I'm running this on windows 7 so I'm not expecting this to be as good as Linux but I was just wondering.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am no expert, and this won't help you, it's just an observation. I would think that decompiling wouldn't ve an issue in Windows, because the difference (that matters here) between it and Linux is a case sensitive file system. I could see problems with compiling related to that, but not decompiling. Of course I could be wrong, and that doesn't seem to the issue you're dealing with any how.

So maybe you just need to try your hand at building, that way you can work with all the files in their natural habitat so to speak.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm .. I'm wondering what is different about ICS. It should be the same java bytecodes. Decompiling an APK must involve something more....

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm .. I'm wondering what is different about ICS. It should be the same java bytecodes. Decompiling an APK must involve something more....

If it means anything decompiling definitely won't work without the newest aapt from the sdk.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've been decompiling and recompiling apks for a few hours and I've run into some problems:

First off here's what I have - android sdk installed, platform for 2.2 installed.

And have all the paths right so I can execute almost anything from terminal.

Now... I was modifying the gingerbread launcher and I have problems.

First I installed the framework-res.apk from one of jerrys roms
apktool if C:\Users\Anthony\Desktop\workspace\framework-res.apk

Then decompile
apktool d C:\………\workspace\Launcher2.apk

Then I editted what I wanted to.
Then recompile
apktool b C\………\Launcher2

Nothing goes wrong with building. It compiles cleanly and there's the apk sitting in the \dist folder. But when I go to put it on my phone running backside, it doesn't work at all. Its as if the Launcher no longer exists... all I did to the code was change a few pngs and changed one xml so I'm assuming I've done something wrong.

I may be doing other things wrong, but is the reason its not working because I only have the 2.2 platform installed but I was de- and re- compiling 2.3 apks??? I would have thought it would give me an error. I'm stumped but now addicted to building apps :p

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You might want to ask in the xda threads about apktool and apkmanager. Hacking a precompiled binary is quite different from building from source, so I'm sure they have more expertise in the matter. ;)

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe someone can help me understand... We have sources so why decompile apks? Why not just build them like you want to start with?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca