Building your own ROM

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, i have no clue why bob reverted this. lol. ive experienced no issues (didnt do a hardcore test). no youtube issues, no static audio. i didnt test VOIP, no sid account. but ive seen no problems with it. maybe bob can shed more light, but the issues in that post were not there for me. I may actually keep this build and when im feeling more ics ill use it.

Reactions: tdm

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi friends. I've been making small coding changes to help out with quattrimus, apparently I've been posting in the wrong thread. Anyway, I've already informed tdm, but some small fixes I managed were adhoc support and pptp vpn support. Ill help out what I can but I'm still fairly new here. I noticed thekraven already forked my wpa_supplicant to his github ^.^

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi friends. I've been making small coding changes to help out with quattrimus, apparently I've been posting in the wrong thread. Anyway, I've already informed tdm, but some small fixes I managed were adhoc support and pptp vpn support. Ill help out what I can but I'm still fairly new here. I noticed thekraven already forked my wpa_supplicant to his github ^.^

were these to fix tethering?

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
were these to fix tethering?

The adhoc fix simply allows cm9 to connect to adhoc networks (they were disabled in the default cm9 tree because stock ics doesnt support them). This was based off the changes suggested here:
szym.net ? Ad-hoc Wifi in Android
(tested and working)

The vpn fix allows pptp vpn connections over either 3g or wifi. This works for me, I was able to connect to my office's windows vpn by entering my vpn info and unchecking the MPPE option but that may just be a vpn security setting on my server's side rather than in the phone. it works but needs more testing. tested both wifi and 3g and IP checked referenced to match my offices IP on both connections. the fix was a simple update/fix of ics headers not matching kernel headers.

A compiled rom of quattrimus with source for both of these fixes can be found here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...rom-alpha-quattrimus-ics-296.html#post1889162

Im working on seeing if these changes in BoardConfigCommon.mk just magically happens to fix wifi hotspot, no idea yet, building as we speak:

Code:
# Wi-Fi & Wi-Fi HotSpot
BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE               := bcm4325
BOARD_SOFTAP_DEVICE_TI          := bcm4325
BOARD_P2P_DEVICE_TI             := bcm4325
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION          := VER_0_6_X
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER     := WEXT
BOARD_HOSTAPD_DRIVER            := WEXT
BOARD_HOSTAPD_PRIVATE_LIB       := lib_driver_cmd_wext
BOARD_WEXT_NO_COMBO_SCAN        := true
WIFI_DRIVER_HAS_LGE_SOFTAP      := true
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH         := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH          := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc-apsta.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH         := "/system/lib/modules/wireless.ko"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG          := "iface_name=wlan0 firmware_path=/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin nvram_path=/etc/wl/nvram.txt config_path=/data/misc/wifi/config"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME         := "wireless"

ALSO reguarding compiling error with this cm commit:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/e37a70c63c1d307a877ec37cb83c388bffdb25ac

I believe by changing
defined(FM_RADIO)
to
defined(HAVE_FM_RADIO)

it should work as intended, just an assumption based on HAVE_FM_RADIO being the way audio_hw_hal.cpp calls the same definition. If my current build finishes compiling that'll be a yes.

sorry I know I'm all over the place right now. My mind is 50 places at once

Reactions: BobZhome

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The adhoc fix simply allows cm9 to connect to adhoc networks (they were disabled in the default cm9 tree because stock ics doesnt support them). This was based off the changes suggested here:
szym.net ? Ad-hoc Wifi in Android
(tested and working)

The vpn fix allows pptp vpn connections over either 3g or wifi. This works for me, I was able to connect to my office's windows vpn by entering my vpn info and unchecking the MPPE option but that may just be a vpn security setting on my server's side rather than in the phone. it works but needs more testing. tested both wifi and 3g and IP checked referenced to match my offices IP on both connections. the fix was a simple update/fix of ics headers not matching kernel headers.

A compiled rom of quattrimus with source for both of these fixes can be found here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...rom-alpha-quattrimus-ics-296.html#post1889162

Im working on seeing if these changes in BoardConfigCommon.mk just magically happens to fix wifi hotspot, no idea yet, building as we speak:

Code:
# Wi-Fi & Wi-Fi HotSpot
BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE               := bcm4325
BOARD_SOFTAP_DEVICE_TI          := bcm4325
BOARD_P2P_DEVICE_TI             := bcm4325
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION          := VER_0_6_X
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER     := WEXT
BOARD_HOSTAPD_DRIVER            := WEXT
BOARD_HOSTAPD_PRIVATE_LIB       := lib_driver_cmd_wext
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH         := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH          := "/system/etc/wl/rtecdc-apsta.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH         := "/system/lib/modules/wireless.ko"
WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG          := "iface_name=wlan0 firmware_path=/etc/wl/rtecdc.bin nvram_path=/etc/wl/nvram.txt config_path=/data/misc/wifi/config"

ALSO reguarding compiling error with this cm commit:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/e37a70c63c1d307a877ec37cb83c388bffdb25ac

I believe by changing
defined(FM_RADIO)
to
defined(HAVE_FM_RADIO)

it should work as intended, just an assumption based on HAVE_FM_RADIO being the way audio_hw_hal.cpp calls the same definition. If my current build finishes compiling that'll be a yes.

sorry I know I'm all over the place right now. My mind is 50 places at once

man you came out of no where haha. that fm change should fix the compiling error but you probably wont have fm radio.

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
man you came out of no where haha. that fm change should fix the compiling error but you probably wont have fm radio.

lol yeah im not worried about having radio as long as the fix compiles and works as intended (rather than removing the commit completely)

I'm used to roaming around and coding for game emulation servers(wont name any for risk of getting in trouble), its been a while since i worked on anything, then i got this phone and one of my clients got a chinese tablet so I thought it was a good time for me to dive into android. :cool:

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
also quick question - where can I set the clock frequency and default memory options for cm9 in the source, so that I dont have to re-set them every time i flash >.> my phone has a crazy reboot issue if I dont check both memory options and set the clock frequency to atleast 480 minimum in quattrimus

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the fixes I'll get those in soon. As for the radio, the only reason it's enabled in the config is that it hadn't caused problems yet. The board is supposed to have a radio but nobody has ever gotten it to work. It's probably not wired up correctly.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
at least 3 times in the last several months I've had a rasty-sounding audio come from the phone speaker, lasts about 5 seconds and sounds like a radio station with the volume/gain so high it distorts too much to tell exactly what it is.
June 11 mirage still does it.
it's triggered by an incoming call, ignored with the slider, which leaves a voicemail. the audio occurs right after "ignore"ing the call.
just data for you experimenters.

Reactions: pbailey212

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
at least 3 times in the last several months I've had a rasty-sounding audio come from the phone speaker, lasts about 5 seconds and sounds like a radio station with the volume/gain so high it distorts too much to tell exactly what it is.
June 11 mirage still does it.
it's triggered by an incoming call, ignored with the slider, which leaves a voicemail. the audio occurs right after "ignore"ing the call.
just data for you experimenters.

seen your sig. yeah! you going to continue deving?

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
anyone know if wpa_supplicant 8 is compatible with optimus v/s/etc series and if so are there any specific kernel changes that would need to be made (in quattrimus gingerkernel)? I have a hunch supplicant 8 might be necessary for wifi hotspot, wont be sure until its tested. probably needs updating anyway. I've noticed the cm9 device repo of the lge p930 has almost the same wifi configuration as ours but uses supplicant 8:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_p930/blob/ics/BoardConfig.mk

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
seen your sig. yeah! you going to continue deving?
in time. it's still hard to focus enough yet.
first project will be to update tasssadar's recovery for the v to allow flashing zips directly to sd instead of the install/copy method in the first one i patched a v kernel into.
then i wanna play with tdm's X interface for android and see if it plays nice with a debian chroot.
more interested than i was, though, now that I'm not all focused on making my existence less unpleasant. I'm feeling good about my home life, and have a few excellent new friends to make up for the people i thought were my friends that I've now kicked to the curb.

on-topic:
BobZhome: is the process the same as before to clone your github cm9 project?
i could use a refresher seeing as I've been outta commission for like a third of the year now.

Last edited:

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
first project will be to update tasssadar's recovery for the v to allow flashing zips directly to sd instead of the install/copy method in the first one i patched a v kernel into.
then i wanna play with tdm's X interface for android and see if it plays nice with a debian chroot.
more interested than i was, though, now that I'm not all focused on making my existence less unpleasant. I'm feeling good about my home life, and have a few excellent new friends friends to make up for the people i thought were my friends that I've now kicked to the curb.

on-topic:
i could use a refresher seeing as I've been outta commission for like a third of the year now.

ok sweet! all you need to do to build from his git now is init and sync. he also already released, if your just looking to try it :D

Reactions: bigsupersquid

tcrider84

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Update: I've gotten quattrimus to compile with wpa_supplicant 8 using:

Code:
# Wi-Fi & Wi-Fi HotSpot
BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE               := bcmdhd
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_PARAM_PATH   := "/sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/firmware_path"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH     := "/vendor/firmware/fw_bcmdhd.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH      := "/vendor/firmware/fw_bcmdhd_apsta.bin"
WIFI_DRIVER_FW_P2P_PATH     := "/vendor/firmware/fw_bcmdhd_p2p.bin"
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION          := VER_0_8_X
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER     := NL80211
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd
BOARD_HOSTAPD_DRIVER        := NL80211
BOARD_HOSTAPD_PRIVATE_LIB   := lib_driver_cmd_bcmdhd

but i think it doesnt have the correct ID for our card even though bcmdevs.h has the following:
Code:
#define	BCM4325_D11DUAL_ID	0x431b
#define	BCM4325_D11G_ID		0x431c
#define	BCM4325_D11A_ID		0x431d

Last edited:
Reactions: tdm

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
more interested than i was, though, now that I'm not all focused on making my existence less unpleasant. I'm feeling good about my home life, and have a few excellent new friends to make up for the people i thought were my friends that I've now kicked to the curb.

on-topic:
Hi bigsupersquid, glad to see you're finally back!
If I may ask, what in the world happened to you? You were gone before I really came to this site and settled. So I didn't get to know you too well.

It was some time ago, but I compiled Bob's CM9. He keeps it VERY up to date and it's always buildable, just ask Sellers.
You probably know this already, but it's the same process. Just repo init his git and that should be it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi bigsupersquid, glad to see you're finally back!
If I may ask, what in the world happened to you? You were gone before I really came to this site and settled. So I didn't get to know you too well...
I had issues with several "friends" whom I'd known from 10-20 years (!) doing their best to trash my 9 year long term relationship (with kids) and it took quite a while (nearly 5 months) to sort myself, and my relationship, out. my brain pretty much shut down as it was too busy dwelling on bull***t to concentrate on anything technical. I'm feeling better though I haven't quite fixed my socializing issues. Or gotten a full handle on my tech aptitudes back yet either. Getting there, though; at least I think about programming and such from time to time again these days. And I have some real friends now who treat me well. It helps.
WAY off-topic, though :p and I don't wanna start a "bigsupersquid's personal problems" thread to fit it ;)
on-topic, somewhat...
I'll dig in the early parts of this thread and find the repo init, etc, instructions from Bob to redo my ancient repo. Thanks for the concern, y'all :cool:

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with several "friends" whom I'd known from 10-20 years (!) doing their best to trash my 9 year long term relationship (with kids) and it took quite a while (nearly 5 months) to sort myself, and my relationship, out. my brain pretty much shut down as it was too busy dwelling on bull***t to concentrate on anything technical. I'm feeling better though I haven't quite fixed my socializing issues. Or gotten a full handle on my tech aptitudes back yet either. Getting there, though; at least I think about programming and such from time to time again these days. And I have some real friends now who treat me well. It helps.
WAY off-topic, though :p and I don't wanna start a "bigsupersquid's personal problems" thread to fit it ;)
on-topic, somewhat...
I'll dig in the early parts of this thread and find the repo init, etc, instructions from Bob to redo my ancient repo. Thanks for the concern, y'all :cool:

repo init -u git://github.com/BobZhome/android.git -b ics

repo sync -jN

. build/envsetup.sh

lunch (select cm_thunderc-userdebug or whatever)

make -jN bacon

what for the magic to happen :D

Last edited:

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No problem, let me know if you need any help (which you shouldnt :p) ive built his git many times. if you get an error about androidterm or something like that run get-prebuilts.

Actually, I wouldn't do that. That will include ROM Manager in your build, which I don't think you want.

Just go into vendor/cm/config/common.mk and delete the whole line that has to do with ROM Manager and Term.apk. Just ctrl-f "libjackpal", that's what I do. And delete that whole line, or comment it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel