Building your own ROM

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder! I've been running an ext partition for a while now, so that won't be an issue. Is your ROM the only CM7 ROM for our phone that requires an ext partition? It's really so useful, I don't know why more ROMs don't use a script like that.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

What the scripts does is keep the data/delvik-cache on the data partition, but moves everything else to the sd-ext. I also mounts the data partition as the sd-ext and the sd-ext as the data, this helps with boot time and keeps the download apps stable. I'm also still pushing changes to my repo, well be done by tomorrow morning.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Earthnfire, I just tried to sync with your repo, and I got this error:
Code:
error: revision refs/heads/master in manifests not found
What do you make of this?

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Earthnfire, I just tried to sync with your repo, and I got this error:
Code:
error: revision refs/heads/master in manifests not found
What do you make of this?

Try it again, I'm running the repo sync right now and everything is syncing just fine.
Code:
$ repo init -u git://github.com/Earthnfire78/android.git -b gingerbread
$ repo sync -j(number of threads per-cpu core)

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Try it again, I'm running the repo sync right now and everything is syncing just fine.
Code:
$ repo init -u git://github.com/Earthnfire78/android.git -b gingerbread
$ repo sync -j(number of threads per-cpu core)

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I specified gingerbread, but I could be wrong. I'll try it again. Thanks!

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm pretty sure that I specified gingerbread, but I could be wrong. I'll try it again. Thanks!

I'm going to run the repo sync all the way through, but that error happens if repo cannot find the tagfix.py file in order to read the default.xml file. Most of the time it is do to repo init -u "URL" not entered right. It is case sensitive.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to run the repo sync all the way through, but that error happens if repo cannot find the tagfix.py file in order to read the default.xml file. Most of the time it is do to repo init -u "URL" not entered right. It is case sensitive.

Yeah, I figured it out. I added a -g flag instead of -b.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to sync, and I think most of it stems from my less than ideal internet access. I live in a rural part of Florida, and the only available service is AT&T's slowest speed of DSL. My connection resets infrequently, but it does so 2 or 3 times a day. I need to learn more about how git works, because I imagine, and I could be wrong, that it's possible to download parts of a repo separately. Does anyone know how to sync a repo piece by piece? I see that in the initial sync, an android.git file is referenced. Does this contain a list of all the parts needed? Or am I way off base here?

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you can do it that way, and the command would be:

Code:
git clone "URL address of what you want to clone"

If you are going in that direction, the I would fork the repositories and clone from you own git that way you can push changes back when ever needed.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. I don't know how to fork or clone. I'm gonna read what I can find, but on the off chance that you know off the top of your head, is there a guide somewhere out there on learning git and repo as it relates to use in building android specifically? Or is there a particular tutorial you can recommend? Thanks again for your help so far!

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. I don't know how to fork or clone. I'm gonna read what I can find, but on the off chance that you know off the top of your head, is there a guide somewhere out there on learning git and repo as it relates to use in building android specifically? Or is there a particular tutorial you can recommend? Thanks again for your help so far!

github.com has a guide for using git that is pretty easy to follow, and repo is a program released by Google for pulling in different repositories.

Using Repo and Git

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Pages 20 -40 of this thread covers some good stuff from jerryscript and bobzhomes about pulling, merges, and pushing changes. Plus it covers kernel building.

Just for reference, I use these mostly :
git status
git add
git commit -a -m "say whatever changes are made"
git cherry-pick
git revert
git reflog
git reset --hard
git push/pull/or merge
git checkout -b newbranchname
git branch -a
git diff

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I found this site, which I'm currently using to teach myself git:

http://gitimmersion.com/

Makes you use git in a variety of scenarios. Very hands on, so you can see what the git commands you're using actually do.

Redbaron2005 (the aosp gingerbread dev) also has a very easy tutorial.

Sent from my One V using Android Central Forums

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions all. When I'm through with git-immersion, I'll check out what you guys have offered up. I've been making some aliases in the .gitconfig. Like git hist for a nice formatted history. There's some real good stuff in this git-immersion tutorial.

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Soo.. I was just thinking... If I wanted to build an updated version of jerryscripts backside rom would I just sync cm then sync Jerry's repo?

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Soo.. I was just thinking... If I wanted to build an updated version of jerryscripts backside rom would I just sync cm then sync Jerry's repo?

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

Just repo sync Jerry's repo, Jerry made changes to the default.xml to point to his repo.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Manually, otherwise you will be building his last build with exception to the CyanogenMod ones listed in his manifest. The Jerryscript repos are usually the major ones that need updating ... frameworks_base , CMParts, Phone, and Settings. So in each of those repos, you manually pull in the updated CyanogenMod repos to keep jerryscript's customizations. Then the rest, you apply Mrg666's patches.

Filip Djordjevic

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
hi buddys i started to build cm7 for g300 and i get this error:
Code:
Copy: out/target/product/u8815/system/lib/libril.so
target Executable: rild (out/target/product/u8815/obj/EXECUTABLES/rild_intermediates/LINKED/rild)
prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.4.3/../../../../arm-eabi/bin/ld: out/target/product/u8815/obj/EXECUTABLES/rild_intermediates/rild.o: in function s_rilEnv:rild.c(.data.rel+0x4): error: undefined reference to 'RIL_onUnsolicitedResponse'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/target/product/u8815/obj/EXECUTABLES/rild_intermediates/LINKED/rild] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
i hope someone can help me.