09-22-2015 01:20 PM
6,009 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    My bttery life ws pretty shotty but I switched from interctive to ondemnd nd it is working much better now.
    BTW nnoying s it is my @ key isn't working lol. Not typing out @ everytime I wnt to use n @ sorry.
    lol.

Don't underestimate the effect that the governor would have. I switched the default to 'ondemand' because it does a much better job of throttling the CPU down. Especially with things live wallpapers 'interactive' was keeping the CPU at max speed as much as possible. In the end, 'ondemand' gives me a negligible hit in responsiveness. Same thing with 'smartass'. It's in there now, but in watching it, it really didn't want to throttle the CPU down (better than interactive, but it's still a matter of tuning), but because it uses a more complex algorithm it also kept the CPU usage at higher levels than 'ondemand'.

While I didn't keep using any of them long enough to determine if there'd be a significant difference in battery life, I'd be hard pressed to believe that you'll get better battery life with 'interactive' or 'smartass'.
    07-25-2011 12:45 PM
    I tried the Backside ROM for a couple of days, and I love it... except for the battery life. Granted, I may be spoiled by the awesome battery life of Harmonia, but draining 10% in 2 hours on mostly standby doesn't work for me. I checked what's using the battery, and it seems Wi-Fi is using a lot more battery life than it does on Harmonia.

Other than that though, great job with this ROM. If you can somehow tone down how much life Wi-Fi uses, I will come back. :-) But for now, I'm sticking with Harmonia.
    Is that while you're actually connected to an AP or while you're not?

There's a set period of time that the WiFi hardware waits after it's given up looking for an AP before it starts looking again. Right now it's set pretty low in this ROM, and Jerry's proposed bumping it up quite a bit. If you're mostly not connected to an access point and the WiFi is still draining power this may help.

If you're mostly connected to an AP and it's draining power, that won't. OTOH, there's some sort of WiFi power saving hack in Mik9's kernel that /may/ help (if I could wrap my head around what it actually does that'd be a good first start).
    07-25-2011 12:51 PM
    Is that while you're actually connected to an AP or while you're not?

There's a set period of time that the WiFi hardware waits after it's given up looking for an AP before it starts looking again. Right now it's set pretty low in this ROM, and Jerry's proposed bumping it up quite a bit. If you're mostly not connected to an access point and the WiFi is still draining power this may help.

If you're mostly connected to an AP and it's draining power, that won't. OTOH, there's some sort of WiFi power saving hack in Mik9's kernel that /may/ help (if I could wrap my head around what it actually does that'd be a good first start).
    I only have wifi on when I'm able to be connected to it. And it's set to never sleep because I have very slow data at my house, and I've found that setting helps the battery.

Would you recommend maybe recalibrating the battery?
    07-25-2011 01:23 PM
    I noticed my phone (running 0722 build, w/ kernel #53, ondemand CPU 245-600) had good drain after reboot & full battery charge and idling with everything off except 3G data on (Section 1 in graph). This was about 1%/hour drain.

Then I turned on GMaps w/ navigation and normal usage with light texting & a few phone calls (Section 2 in graph). This seemed normal for active use. But then after that is when it gets odd.

Section 3 was idling overnight while I was sleeping (everything off, except 3G/phone on). This doesn't seem right because the Awake & Screen on detected it was on all the time, but the phone was really off. And the battery drain was about 2%/hour. I did a logcat at the end of this section.

--------- beginning of /dev/log/system W/InputManagerService( 118): Window alr - Pastebin.com

Finally I rebooted the phone, which seemed to allow it to resume to 1%/drain, but the awake/screen on was still detected as on. Keep in mind this was still with ondemand governor and default 245/600 CPU. I did a second logcat at this point.

--------- beginning of /dev/log/main I//system/xbin/run-parts( 59): run-parts - Pastebin.com

Does anyone know what could explain the constant awake & screen on phenomenon and worse battery drain after using navigation & text/phone calls? Sections 3 & 4 should've been the same as section 1. I checked the services and no extraneous app services were running (wifi, BT, GPS, screen all off). I even killed the maps app before the overnight idling to make sure it was stopped.

I've just flashed the newer 0725 build and will report back if anything's different, but I don't think it would be much different since it was mostly USB tethering fixes right? Seems like something grabbed the CPU and constantly drained it while idling.

UPDATE: I'm beginning to suspect it's a problem with the Google Maps app (navigation is still in beta after all). I remember battery meter did read Maps was using about 40% of the juice, higher than the usual cell standby & phone idle. On 0725 build now and after 6 hrs unplugged, it's still at 97% left. I have 3G,wifi,GPS,BT all off except a couple of test calls, a quick web email check & a few random battery stat checks in this time. I'll try to enable things one at a time to see what triggers the massive drain.

UPDATE: It's the turning on and off of GPS that causes it to go into high-drain mode. The reporting of awake-lock seems like a bug because in a later fully charged rom, the drain was modest, but the stats still reported the screen being locked.
    07-25-2011 01:44 PM
    I only have wifi on when I'm able to be connected to it. And it's set to never sleep because I have very slow data at my house, and I've found that setting helps the battery.

Would you recommend maybe recalibrating the battery?
    When installing a new rom YES always re-calibrate the battery.
    07-25-2011 01:45 PM
    Just flashed this ROM and now I have a beautiful 2.3.4 Gingerbread on my OV! Killer.
    07-25-2011 01:52 PM
    Section 3 was idling overnight while I was sleeping (everything off, except 3G/phone on). This doesn't seem right because the Awake & Screen on detected it was on all the time, but the phone was really off. And the battery drain was about 2%/hour. I did a logcat at the end of this section.
    Sounds like something's holding a wakelock.

Wakelocks profiling - android-discuss
    07-25-2011 02:08 PM
    Here's my 07/25/2011 Build with the "r1" version IHO kernel.

KemikalElite IHO CM7 07252011

This latest kernel version from blarf fixes USB charging.

I'm going to be building a custom theme for CM7.
    To support my builds and anything else I've contributed, consider creating a dropbox account using this link.
    http://db.tt/xHVRcrq
    has anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?
    07-25-2011 02:52 PM
    has anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?
    i just installed it .. it shouldnt be that much different. try for yourself . theres no downside to it lol
    07-25-2011 02:55 PM
    i'm at work so haven't had a chance yet, but i'll probably try when i get home. thanks!
    07-25-2011 02:56 PM
    Here's my 07/25/2011 Build with the "r1" version IHO kernel.

KemikalElite IHO CM7 07252011

This latest kernel version from blarf fixes USB charging.

I'm going to be building a custom theme for CM7.
    To support my builds and anything else I've contributed, consider creating a dropbox account using this link.
    http://db.tt/xHVRcrq
    Glad to see you got your build environment working again! Can't wait to see the theme and what else you might have planned!
    07-25-2011 03:10 PM
    Glad to see you got your build environment working again! Can't wait to see the theme and what else you might have planned!
    You forgot to add and your a key working again.

Kem, I think a key map is corrupted and deleted the a from your system keymap. Just a suggestion.
    07-25-2011 03:16 PM
    Sounds like something's holding a wakelock.

Wakelocks profiling - android-discuss
    This reminds me of a situation where in stock Froyo ROM, I was using Moon+ Reader Pro to read an ebook using the Text-to-Speech feature, after the screen times out, the speech continues for about 3-5 mins and would shutdown too, like into a deep sleep mode. The way to continue was for me to wake up the phone manually.

I didn't notice this deep-sleep mode in this ROM, when using the reader, even after screen times off, the TTS keeps on reading without having to manually wake up. This seems like one of the major differences between CM7 and Froyo based ROMs and may explain the battery drain differences.
    07-25-2011 03:45 PM
    Newbie question: Do we need to wipe and re-flash everything with each new nightly?
    07-25-2011 04:24 PM
    You forgot to add and your a key working again.

Kem, I think a key map is corrupted and deleted the a from your system keymap. Just a suggestion.
    I think you meant the post I made about my a key not working. :P
    It is working at the moment but it comes and goes as it pleases...kind of annoying.
    07-25-2011 04:25 PM
    Newbie question: Do we need to wipe and re-flash everything with each new nightly?
    No, if you are updating and have already installed a previous version, just wipe cache/dalvik, then flash the latest build.

Of course, backups are always recommended!
    07-25-2011 04:42 PM
    lol.

Don't underestimate the effect that the governor would have. I switched the default to 'ondemand' because it does a much better job of throttling the CPU down. Especially with things live wallpapers 'interactive' was keeping the CPU at max speed as much as possible. In the end, 'ondemand' gives me a negligible hit in responsiveness. Same thing with 'smartass'. It's in there now, but in watching it, it really didn't want to throttle the CPU down (better than interactive, but it's still a matter of tuning), but because it uses a more complex algorithm it also kept the CPU usage at higher levels than 'ondemand'.

While I didn't keep using any of them long enough to determine if there'd be a significant difference in battery life, I'd be hard pressed to believe that you'll get better battery life with 'interactive' or 'smartass'.
    Thanks Blarf, et. al. Ondemand did the trick for me to help conserve battery life. This is a pretty sweet rom. I am building r1 as we speak. Keep up the good work!
    07-25-2011 06:05 PM
    I was using the build from the 22nd (just updated) but have been having a problem when someone from my blacklist calls I get a ring and then a force close. I'm gonna post a logcat next time it happens. Noticed that fm radio was in the new list of apps?

Here's a logcat of fm radio
    • Code:
      E/dalvikvm(  176): No free temp registers
      E/dalvikvm(  176): Jit: aborting trace compilation, reverting to interpreter
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x4, mFmRadioEnabled = 1
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): devices = 24583
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): setFmOnOff(0) called
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x4, mFmRadioEnabled = 0
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): devices = 26631
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): setFmOnOff(1) called
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x4, mFmRadioEnabled = 1
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x2, mFmRadioEnabled = 1
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x2, mFmRadioEnabled = 0
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x2, mFmRadioEnabled = 1
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x4, mFmRadioEnabled = 0
      E/FMRadio (  858): unbindFromService: Context
      I/installd(  115): move /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@org.jtb.alogcat-1.apk@classes.dex -> /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@org.jtb.alogcat-1.apk@classes.dex
      E/FMRadio (  858): bindToService: Context with serviceconnection callback
      E/FMRadio (  858): isAntennaAvailable: false
      E/FMRadio (  858): ServiceConnection: onServiceConnected: 
      E/FMRadio (  858): isAntennaAvailable: true
      E/FMRadio (  858): isAntennaAvailable: true
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): doRouting CALLED, outputDevices = 0x2, mFmRadioEnabled = 0
      E/FMRadio (  858): unbindFromService: Context
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): MIK: 0
      E/AudioHardwareMSM72XX(  113): devices = 24579
    07-25-2011 06:27 PM
    FM radio is known not to work, and the blacklist is, AFAIK, a CM7 bug. Logcat won't help (much) there, you'll need a debug version of Phone.apk. That said, I get the one ring, but don't get a Phone.app FC (but I'm running with some changes to fix per-contact ringtones). I'm not planning on putting a whole lot of effort into fixing CM as there are enough little Optimus V things that need fixing first IMO.

https://github.com/inferiorhumanorga...derc/issues/27

BTW, Jerry, repo will save changes but throw away local commits so if you want to remove the FM app again that should persist across a repo sync.
    JerryScript likes this.
    07-25-2011 06:41 PM
    Thanks Kemikal! Anything different from Jerry's build?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Ok I would have responded sooner but some new posts were missing for some reason. Other than me forgetting to remove FM radio (sorry my bad) it's just the first posted build to include the r1 kernel. I figured I should be contributing in some way considering I was first to volunteer for maintaining a VM670 build.

In future versions I plan to make different themes. UOT has added a lot of new custom options and improvements.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk
    07-25-2011 07:57 PM
    Having an odd problem after updating from Jerryscript's 7/22 build to the 7/25. (Yes, I cleared cache & dalvik cache before updating).
    When I go to the market.android.com, many (most) of the apps tell me "This app is incompatible with your LGE LG-VM670." and won't let me install. (Under details, it says "LGE LG-VM670
    This item cannot be installed in your device's country.")

Is there a quick fix for this?
    07-25-2011 09:07 PM
    Having an odd problem after updating from Jerryscript's 7/22 build to the 7/25. (Yes, I cleared cache & dalvik cache before updating).
    When I go to the market.android.com, many (most) of the apps tell me "This app is incompatible with your LGE LG-VM670." and won't let me install. (Under details, it says "LGE LG-VM670

Are these apps ones u have used before or are they apps u never saw before? Maybe the ROM is showing more apps then u are able to use? Listing the apps in question would help alot.
    07-25-2011 09:27 PM

Clear your market data, go to phone settings, manage applications, find market and hit clear data
    07-25-2011 09:38 PM
    I'm glad I don't have a cap on my cable internet, downloading 80 MB for your updates everyday would probably push me over. Is there a reason you can't just update the kernels? Or do you modify the rom its self every night too, sorry if its a stupid question
    07-25-2011 09:56 PM
    I'm glad I don't have a cap on my cable internet, downloading 80 MB for your updates everyday would probably push me over. Is there a reason you can't just update the kernels? Or do you modify the rom its self every night too, sorry if its a stupid question
    80 MB is nothing compared to streaming video these days, the builds will probably slow down as the ROM stabilizes. I prefer these complete binaries, with patches it introduces a new way for some people to get different results compared to others (not following instructions, extra missteps during installation...etc). Plus CM7's source changes often enough that it's good to just grab everything.
    07-25-2011 10:10 PM
6,009 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD