09-22-2015 02:20 PM
6,009 ... 124125126127128 ...
tools
    Just FYI- Both mrg666's Mirage and BACKside are built from the same source code. If you find such a dramatic difference in battery life, it has nothing to do with the ROM.
    I won't discuss politics, religion, and battery life in this forum

Guys at XDA seem to have different opinion.
    12-03-2011 10:47 PM
    in the past few days, everything has been having to force close. Everything from my Words With Friends app to the screenshot app... will downloading and re-flashing the ROM fix that?
    12-03-2011 10:49 PM
    I won't discuss politics, religion, and battery life in this forum

Guys at XDA seem to have different opinion.
    Maybe I'm misinformed, do you add some extra sauce when cooking, or dance around the PC as it builds?
    shamilton and mrg666 like this.
    12-03-2011 11:12 PM
    Maybe I'm misinformed, do you add some extra sauce when cooking, or dance around the PC as it builds?
    I don't think I have used backside for a long period since Jerry switched to bobs kernel, I do know there was a while there where mrg used bob and Jerry was still using iho kernel, there was a noticeable difference back then, but bobs kernel seems to be the difference maker when it comes to battery
    12-04-2011 12:44 AM
    Is it at all possible to get my hands on the kernel that is on the newest build of IHO JerryScript edition? (11222011)
    I've never flashed a kernel by itself anymore, and want to give it a shot with the stock ROM.
    If so, where would I find it?
    And how exactly would I flash it?
    12-04-2011 08:34 AM
    I don't think I have used backside for a long period since Jerry switched to bobs kernel, I do know there was a while there where mrg used bob and Jerry was still using iho kernel, there was a noticeable difference back then, but bobs kernel seems to be the difference maker when it comes to battery
    Seriously speaking, the only difference is that I started using Bob's 3.3 kernel by recompiling with linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain from Bob's repo. The gcc version in that toolchain is 4.5.4 vs. 4.4.3 of the default version in the CM repo. In addition to geek satisfaction, I though that a more recent compiler could create a somewhat more efficient binary. Although I feel a little more responsiveness on my phone with this recompiled kernel, it could be just placebo effect since I did not do any objective comparison. I am not claiming any improvement in battery life. If there is anyone who wants to make a measurement (preferably with a different build than MiRaGe) here is the download link. You can flash onto any IHO ROM and do a comparison before and after. I have been using this recompiled kernel since 11/20/2011 build. I had mentioned about this in an earlier post.

Edit: I have also attached here a battery screenshot from last night for reference. Started from full charge, no special settings.
    optimus2908 and JerryScript like this.
    12-04-2011 11:06 AM
    Serously speaking, the only difference is that I started using Bob's 3.3 kernel by recompiling with linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain from Bob's repo. The gcc version in that toolchain is 4.5.4 vs. 4.4.3 of the default version in the CM repo. In addition to geek satisfaction, I though that a more recent compiler could create a somewhat more efficient binary. Although I feel a little more responsiveness on my phone with this recompiled kernel, it could be just placebo effect since I did not do any objective comparison. I am not claiming any improvement in battery life. If there is anyone who wants to make a measurement (preferably with a different build than MiRaGe) here is the download link. You can flash onto any IHO ROM and do a comparison before and after. I have been using this recompiled kernel since 11/20/2011 build. I had mentioned about this in an earlier post.

Edit: I have also attached here a battery screenshot from last night for reference. Started from full charge, no special settings.

I will test on Thursday and Friday when I go back to work. I already have a backside backed up with all of my apps on it. I will use mirage on Thursday and backside on Friday, on days I work I have pretty consistant battery use, I wish I could do it sooner but I'm going to be in and out of clinics and the hospital for the next few days because my wife will be getting some tests done, so I'm don't think I will have two steady days to compare with.
    12-04-2011 11:58 AM
    Hi Jerry, I flashed this but headset controls still aren't working. Any ideas?

Tapatalk via iPod touch
    12-04-2011 03:21 PM
    Just FYI- Both mrg666's Mirage and BACKside are built from the same source code. If you find such a dramatic difference in battery life, it has nothing to do with the ROM.
    I'm not really concerned with battery life on either build. They are both solid ROMs. Both work great either way. I think that, from my point of view, Mrg's seemed to give a slight advantage of battery life.

sent from my ASUS Transformer Running Prime 2.1.0 using Tapatalk
    JerryScript likes this.
    12-04-2011 03:50 PM
    I'm not really concerned with battery life on either build. They are both solid ROMs. Both work great either way. I think that, from my point of view, Mrg's seemed to give a slight advantage of battery life.

regardless of build, kernel etc. Major factors are really how high your o/c, phone usage, screen brightness, how many apps push through, whether or not wifi is used, Widgets that require refreshing, calls, cell signal. There are a million more variables.

Its not really what build works best, its really what settings work best for you. IMHO that's the real determining factor.

I'm not saying kernel n build does not matter. Just saying there's a lot more happening than what people see.

Sent from your mom's phone.
    12-04-2011 05:12 PM
    One thing I haven't even thought about since I started flashing custom ROMs is Busybox.

I installed back when I first rooted my stock ROM, but haven't installed it on any ROM I've used since.

Do I need to install it on IHO? Currently on BACKside 11-22.

Sent via VM670
    12-04-2011 06:00 PM
    regardless of build, kernel etc. Major factors are really how high your o/c, phone usage, screen brightness, how many apps push through, whether or not wifi is used, Widgets that require refreshing, calls, cell signal. There are a million more variables.

Its not really what build works best, its really what settings work best for you. IMHO that's the real determining factor.

I'm not saying kernel n build does not matter. Just saying there's a lot more happening than what people see.

Sent from your mom's phone.
    I think the previous build that I had from Jerry had the IHO kernal and the Mrg build has Bob's kernal. Settings were the same across the board. I haven't changed any settings from one build to the next. I OC at 806Mhz high and 6-something (possibly 600Mhz). I think the single changing factor is the kernal. That may be the difference right there. I wasn't aware they changed the kernal until now, but it is a definite possibility. I travel from home, to work and back again. Same cell signal everyday, same wifi usage at home.

12-04-2011 06:11 PM
    I'm running BACKside (11/22/11), and I've noticed there's alot of apps now that I can't install, and when running froyo I could install...

Any ideas? Some apps are google goggles, and the hotels.com app.
    12-04-2011 06:37 PM
    I'm running BACKside (11/22/11), and I've noticed there's alot of apps now that I can't install, and when running froyo I could install...

Any ideas? Some apps are google goggles, and the hotels.com app.
    Are you getting an error, or do they not show up in the market?
    12-04-2011 06:42 PM
    I will test on Thursday and Friday when I go back to work. I already have a backside backed up with all of my apps on it. I will use mirage on Thursday and backside on Friday, on days I work I have pretty consistant battery use, I wish I could do it sooner but I'm going to be in and out of clinics and the hospital for the next few days because my wife will be getting some tests done, so I'm don't think I will have two steady days to compare with.
    Thanks! I hope everything goes okay at the hospital.
    12-04-2011 07:58 PM
    Are you getting an error, or do they not show up in the market?
    they either don't show up in the market, or if I go to market.android.com on my PC they say "this app is incompatible with Virgin Mobile LGE VM670."

Even when I sideloaded the google goggles app it wouldn't install. And when I went to hotels.com, and clicked their link to their android app, it opened the page up in the market but say it was incompatible with my phone.

However when I was running Harmonia, I distinctly remember having google goggles working.
    12-04-2011 08:08 PM
    I have the latest Backside, and i have Google Goggles installed and it works fine. I downloaded it from the Market.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    12-04-2011 08:19 PM
    Its been a month or two, just flashed mrg's latest and feeling kinda giddy =D. Got my girl the Optimus slider recently, and at it's stock 800mhz and 2.3 OS makes my 2.2 V at 768 feel slowwwww.
    JerryScript and mrg666 like this.
    12-04-2011 09:08 PM
    they either don't show up in the market, or if I go to market.android.com on my PC they say "this app is incompatible with Virgin Mobile LGE VM670."

Even when I sideloaded the google goggles app it wouldn't install. And when I went to hotels.com, and clicked their link to their android app, it opened the page up in the market but say it was incompatible with my phone.

However when I was running Harmonia, I distinctly remember having google goggles working.
    Google Goggles works fine for me as well, though I downloaded it originally when signing in to gapps, it's one of the apps you can choose when setting up the market install for the first time.

I would say do a complete wipe (cache and dalvik, a complete format (boot, system, data, cache), then flash the ROM and gapps. Do NOT restore any apps or data till you have tested out the issue. If everything works, reinstall a few apps, then test again, repeat till you find an issue, or have everything restored with no issues.

If you have troubles after this, report here and we will try to help.
    sharpe351 and jdcnosse like this.
    12-04-2011 09:17 PM
    Google Goggles works fine for me as well, though I downloaded it originally when signing in to gapps, it's one of the apps you can choose when setting up the market install for the first time.

I would say do a complete wipe (cache and dalvik, a complete format (boot, system, data, cache), then flash the ROM and gapps. Do NOT restore any apps or data till you have tested out the issue. If everything works, reinstall a few apps, then test again, repeat till you find an issue, or have everything restored with no issues.

This is what I did When I first flashed your ROM Jerry. Worked like a charm for me.

JerryScript likes this.
    12-04-2011 09:20 PM

I'll have to try that then, since I have no clue why else it won't let me even see those apps in the market
    12-04-2011 10:52 PM
    I hope you all don't mind me posting here with my woes-so here goes:

This is my first root/custom rom of an android phone (LG Optimus V)

I followed the instructions here for root, they seem outdated as I obtained a perm root just using the USB drivers from LG and SuperOneClick

I installed Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) as a recovery (I think this is where I went wrong)

Made a backup

Cleared cache and Dalvik cache and flashed IHO 11222011 and gapps (checksums correct)

Rebooted and the phone stayed at a screen saying IHO with an android for a while then got stuck at a single image of an android with a ring around it.

I rebooted a couple more times, then flashed my backup so I could use my phone again.

Where did I go wrong/how do I install a different bootloader if that is the issue?
    12-04-2011 11:01 PM
    How long did you let it stay on the green android with the frozen particle loop around it?

That animation is not working in the latest build, so you have to suffer through it the first time you flash the ROM (sorry, you can change it after booting up the first time, and it will be fixed in my next build). It takes 3-6 minutes to reboot after flashing the first time. Be patient. If it hasn't booted up after 10 full minutes, post back here, and we will help you out.
    12-04-2011 11:06 PM
    Okay it is past the 10 min mark (about 15 mins)

I have the device plugged into my computer and the boot animation is transitioning from the IHO screen to the particle screen.

Edit it is moving back and forth between the IHO and transitioning to the particle screen.
    12-04-2011 11:29 PM
    Something wasn't installed right. Check the md5 value of the downloaded ROM zip file, be sure it matches the posted value.

1- Reboot into recovery
    2- Wipe cache, and under advanced wipe dalvik cache
    3- Format boot, system, data, and cache
    4- Flash the ROM zip file
    5- Flash gapps
    6- Reboot

It should take about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes to fully boot the first time.
    hawkshot and mrg666 like this.
    12-05-2011 12:20 AM
6,009 ... 124125126127128 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD