[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

tobashadow#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a copy of the transparent status bar zip for the Mirage build date 11/16/2011?

I didn't download it at the time and i tried the newest one and the bar is only transparent on the lock screen.

I don't wish to do a rom update at the moment due to some tweaks i am trying out and want to maintain the current rom to check for stability.

shawne11

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Every time I've flashed a ROM in the past I've done a fresh install after a full wipe, then re-calibrated the battery by deleting the battery stats bin. I've been using mrg666 10/22/11 with BobZhome v3.11 kernel for over a month and have been thrilled with the battery life. I was going to take the lazy route this time by just wiping Cache and Dalvik-cache and flashing over the previous build with mrg666 12/1/11 with BobZhome v3.3 kernel. Do I need to re-calibrate battery when updating a ROM in this fashion?

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Every time I've flashed a ROM in the past I've done a fresh install after a full wipe, then re-calibrated the battery by deleting the battery stats bin. I've been using mrg666 10/22/11 with BobZhome v3.11 kernel for over a month and have been thrilled with the battery life. I was going to take the lazy route this time by just wiping Cache and Dalvik-cache and flashing over the previous build with mrg666 12/1/11 with BobZhome v3.3 kernel. Do I need to re-calibrate battery when updating a ROM in this fashion?

+1 on the battery life for mrg's. On Jerry's build, I'd see a day with moderate use. On Mrg's I can go about 3 days without a single charge and moderate use. It even has good battery management for when I tether my Transformer.

sent from my ASUS Transformer Running Prime 2.1.0 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bdieu17

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the battery life for mrg's. On Jerry's build, I'd see a day with moderate use. On Mrg's I can go about 3 days without a single charge and moderate use. It even has good battery management for when I tether my Transformer.

Just FYI- Both mrg666's Mirage and BACKside are built from the same source code. If you find such a dramatic difference in battery life, it has nothing to do with the ROM.

Reactions: mrg666

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
in the past few days, everything has been having to force close. Everything from my Words With Friends app to the screenshot app... will downloading and re-flashing the ROM fix that?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm misinformed, do you add some extra sauce when cooking, or dance around the PC as it builds? ;)

I don't think I have used backside for a long period since Jerry switched to bobs kernel, I do know there was a while there where mrg used bob and Jerry was still using iho kernel, there was a noticeable difference back then, but bobs kernel seems to be the difference maker when it comes to battery

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it at all possible to get my hands on the kernel that is on the newest build of IHO JerryScript edition? (11222011)
I've never flashed a kernel by itself anymore, and want to give it a shot with the stock ROM.
If so, where would I find it?
And how exactly would I flash it? :)

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I have used backside for a long period since Jerry switched to bobs kernel, I do know there was a while there where mrg used bob and Jerry was still using iho kernel, there was a noticeable difference back then, but bobs kernel seems to be the difference maker when it comes to battery

Seriously speaking, the only difference is that I started using Bob's 3.3 kernel by recompiling with linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain from Bob's repo. The gcc version in that toolchain is 4.5.4 vs. 4.4.3 of the default version in the CM repo. In addition to geek satisfaction, I though that a more recent compiler could create a somewhat more efficient binary. Although I feel a little more responsiveness on my phone with this recompiled kernel, it could be just placebo effect since I did not do any objective comparison. I am not claiming any improvement in battery life. If there is anyone who wants to make a measurement (preferably with a different build than MiRaGe) here is the download link. You can flash onto any IHO ROM and do a comparison before and after. I have been using this recompiled kernel since 11/20/2011 build. I had mentioned about this in an earlier post.

Edit: I have also attached here a battery screenshot from last night for reference. Started from full charge, no special settings.

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Serously speaking, the only difference is that I started using Bob's 3.3 kernel by recompiling with linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain from Bob's repo. The gcc version in that toolchain is 4.5.4 vs. 4.4.3 of the default version in the CM repo. In addition to geek satisfaction, I though that a more recent compiler could create a somewhat more efficient binary. Although I feel a little more responsiveness on my phone with this recompiled kernel, it could be just placebo effect since I did not do any objective comparison. I am not claiming any improvement in battery life. If there is anyone who wants to make a measurement (preferably with a different build than MiRaGe) here is the download link. You can flash onto any IHO ROM and do a comparison before and after. I have been using this recompiled kernel since 11/20/2011 build. I had mentioned about this in an earlier post.

Edit: I have also attached here a battery screenshot from last night for reference. Started from full charge, no special settings.

I will test on Thursday and Friday when I go back to work. I already have a backside backed up with all of my apps on it. I will use mirage on Thursday and backside on Friday, on days I work I have pretty consistant battery use, I wish I could do it sooner but I'm going to be in and out of clinics and the hospital for the next few days because my wife will be getting some tests done, so I'm don't think I will have two steady days to compare with.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI- Both mrg666's Mirage and BACKside are built from the same source code. If you find such a dramatic difference in battery life, it has nothing to do with the ROM.

I'm not really concerned with battery life on either build. They are both solid ROMs. Both work great either way. I think that, from my point of view, Mrg's seemed to give a slight advantage of battery life.

Reactions: JerryScript

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really concerned with battery life on either build. They are both solid ROMs. Both work great either way. I think that, from my point of view, Mrg's seemed to give a slight advantage of battery life.

regardless of build, kernel etc. Major factors are really how high your o/c, phone usage, screen brightness, how many apps push through, whether or not wifi is used, Widgets that require refreshing, calls, cell signal. There are a million more variables.

Its not really what build works best, its really what settings work best for you. IMHO that's the real determining factor.

I'm not saying kernel n build does not matter. Just saying there's a lot more happening than what people see.

Sent from your mom's phone.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing I haven't even thought about since I started flashing custom ROMs is Busybox.

I installed back when I first rooted my stock ROM, but haven't installed it on any ROM I've used since.

Do I need to install it on IHO? Currently on BACKside 11-22.

Sent via VM670

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
regardless of build, kernel etc. Major factors are really how high your o/c, phone usage, screen brightness, how many apps push through, whether or not wifi is used, Widgets that require refreshing, calls, cell signal. There are a million more variables.

Its not really what build works best, its really what settings work best for you. IMHO that's the real determining factor.

I'm not saying kernel n build does not matter. Just saying there's a lot more happening than what people see.

Sent from your mom's phone.

I think the previous build that I had from Jerry had the IHO kernal and the Mrg build has Bob's kernal. Settings were the same across the board. I haven't changed any settings from one build to the next. I OC at 806Mhz high and 6-something (possibly 600Mhz). I think the single changing factor is the kernal. That may be the difference right there. I wasn't aware they changed the kernal until now, but it is a definite possibility. I travel from home, to work and back again. Same cell signal everyday, same wifi usage at home.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm running BACKside (11/22/11), and I've noticed there's alot of apps now that I can't install, and when running froyo I could install...

Any ideas? Some apps are google goggles, and the hotels.com app.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm running BACKside (11/22/11), and I've noticed there's alot of apps now that I can't install, and when running froyo I could install...

Any ideas? Some apps are google goggles, and the hotels.com app.

Are you getting an error, or do they not show up in the market?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I will test on Thursday and Friday when I go back to work. I already have a backside backed up with all of my apps on it. I will use mirage on Thursday and backside on Friday, on days I work I have pretty consistant battery use, I wish I could do it sooner but I'm going to be in and out of clinics and the hospital for the next few days because my wife will be getting some tests done, so I'm don't think I will have two steady days to compare with.

Thanks! I hope everything goes okay at the hospital.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463