09-22-2015 02:20 PM
6,009 ... 165166167168169 ...
tools
    The minfree values are set by init.rc, so they will be overwritten on reboot. The only way to keep changes to them is to run a script from init.d to set them at boot.
    01-30-2012 03:46 PM
    I don't really test on boot; I hardly let my phone turn off.

I set the values post boot, and they should stick at least until the next reboot but it's frustrating to feel like it's not being applied according to the two "built-in" ways to check your RAM.

I might sound crazy to some for wanting to use more RAM, but I want more apps to sit in RAM so I don't have to keep restarting them. I can browse and return to the home screen, put my phone down for a minute or two, come back and my browser will have closed automatically due to "out of memory" conditions.

And plus, I'm getting like 230MB of RAM free that it just won't use, which is a lot that I can't use.

Forgive me if it isn't a bug, but I don't know how else to classify it as.
    01-30-2012 05:33 PM
    I have a semi-bug to report jerry, I'm runnin the latest (1/25) version of backside.
    ~snip~

Sorry for the long post, but I know details are important when you have a problem
    Thanks for the detailed report!

So, it sounds like the phone failed to boot with approx. 15% charge remaining? That seems awfully high for boot failure. Are you sure it really got turned off and didn't just run out of battery overnight?

I'll try to repro this and let you know what I find out tomorrow or monday. If I can repro it, I'll flash the original boot.img and see what it does.
    I had something similar. Only I forgot to plug my phone in and it died. I plugged it in it sat on the charge screen for probably an hour. When it dawned on me the phone was still off I powered it up while still on the charger. It booted up notified me I had 3 missed calls and two missed texts. And before I could check them it rebooted back to the charge screen. I power cycled it again this time without being plugged in. Everything seemed fine until the phone rang and it forced closed the android.sound process. Then it force rebooted itself and seemed to be fine until this morning when I took it off the charger. The phone randomly rebooted but no weird force closes since.
    01-30-2012 07:34 PM
    I have new build https://github.com/inferiorhumanorga...rc/wiki/Binary

Changelog

1-30-12:

1. sync'd up with CM: new ICS transitions
    2. Kernel v3.7: Enables a2sd swap and adds BT HID support

Please don't thank me, instead donate to Blarf for all the great work he has done. Special thanks to Jerry, mrg666, thekarven, TDM and all the others that have help to improve this project.

Enjoy!
    Bob
    01-30-2012 08:05 PM
    New build is up:

Download via the BacksideUpdater

or

BACKside-IHO-VM670-01312012.zip
    md5sum 46b531b924a5042cb121d521ff851c7f

GreenMachineTheme-01312012.zip

Changes:
    -- Added Pedlar's CMBootanimation chooser to Settings>>CyanogenMod settings>>Interface>>Bootanimation
    -- Added two additional bootanimations to /system/media for use with the bootanimation chooser
    -- Update to BobZhome's kernel v3.7 with support for a2sd swap and BT HID, Thanks Bob!
    -- BacksideUpdater updated with option to check any downloaded file, option to delete bad download before trying again (prevents download renaming such as file.zip becoming file-1.zip), and updated gui elements

The bootanimation chooser will allow you to preview, change, or reset the bootanimation to default. I switched to my infamous bootanimation as default, and included the CyanogenMod and particle bootanimations as well in the system/media folder.

The BacksideUpdater will now automatically download the manifest when you open the app now. There is a new button at the bottom of the screen that will allow you to check any file against the manifest's md5sum. If the md5 is bad, you have the option to delete the corrupt file and redownload, or to delete the file manually. I also added progress spinners so it doesn't appear as if the app has frozen while performing it's background tasks. Hope you like the new gui elements!

Thanks to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, tdmcode, LeslieAnn, thekraven, kermikalelite, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, the CM team, the AOSP team, and a whole lot more!
    kcls, Shade808, mrg666 and 7 others like this.
    01-31-2012 06:25 AM
    Jerry,

I keep getting FC'd when I try to select or preview boot animations on your new build. I wiped Cache and Dalvik the first time and then a wipe and flash the 2nd. Any thought's? Using IHO recovery, Verified MD5 with updater.

Edit: Figured it Out!

It's because I had removed file manager with TB because I usually use another program. After another wipe and flash I worked until I removed File Manager. I tried reinstalling from market and even moving APK to system but it wouldn't work again till I reflashed the Rom to get that version of File Manager back
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-31-2012 08:32 AM
    Jerry,

I keep getting FC'd when I try to select or preview boot animations on your new build. I wiped Cache and Dalvik the first time and then a wipe and flash the 2nd. Any thought's? Using IHO recovery, Verified MD5 with updater.

Edit: Figured it Out!

It's because I had removed file manager with TB because I usually use another program. After another wipe and flash I worked until I removed File Manager. I tried reinstalling from market and even moving APK to system but it wouldn't work again till I reflashed the Rom to get that version of File Manager back
    Glad you figured it out! I will look into supporting a general file manager intent structure, but that depends upon all file managers using the same broadcast/receiver structure, and I'm not sure that's true. So for now, the default file manager will have to remain in order to use my mods that require file picking.
    kwknott and norwoodsteel like this.
    01-31-2012 09:16 AM
    Thanks Jerry,

Yeah works great now that I have File Manager back.

Great job on the new build!!! Thanks again!
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-31-2012 09:51 AM
    I don't really test on boot; I hardly let my phone turn off.

I set the values post boot, and they should stick at least until the next reboot but it's frustrating to feel like it's not being applied according to the two "built-in" ways to check your RAM.

I might sound crazy to some for wanting to use more RAM, but I want more apps to sit in RAM so I don't have to keep restarting them. I can browse and return to the home screen, put my phone down for a minute or two, come back and my browser will have closed automatically due to "out of memory" conditions.

And plus, I'm getting like 230MB of RAM free that it just won't use, which is a lot that I can't use.

Forgive me if it isn't a bug, but I don't know how else to classify it as.
    Unused RAM in Android is wasted RAM. In some situations it can speed up loading of new apps, that's probably where the speed boost comes from. For most people, it's more preferable to use the RAM to cache apps in the background so you don't have to reload them every time, it defeats the purpose of a multitasking OS.
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-31-2012 02:11 PM
    When I choose the boot animation from system/media to preview in file manager and then hit ok, nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

Edit: Fixed. Had disable boot animations selected.
    01-31-2012 03:22 PM
    Unused RAM in Android is wasted RAM. In some situations it can speed up loading of new apps, that's probably where the speed boost comes from. For most people, it's more preferable to use the RAM to cache apps in the background so you don't have to reload them every time, it defeats the purpose of a multitasking OS.
    Correct, which is why its annoying me IHO clips apps around 250-230MB of free ram. I have tons of ram left but it simply will not keeps applications open.

To compare I can get Froyo to respect minfree values but IHO does what it wants in that regard.
    01-31-2012 03:57 PM
    Hey guys in extremely new to flashing roms. I succesfully flashed this rom after 3 failed attempts were it would get stuck in the boot animation. The thing i did differently this time was i did not flash the bootsound and green machine theme. The realizing that i forgot about it i went back to flash it. Then once again i got stuck in the boot animation (Which btw is really cool with the bootsound). I think i am flashing in the wrong order or there is a problem with something i'm doing. Plzz help, Thx in advance
    01-31-2012 05:06 PM
    It seems that the latest BACKside has a flaw with the integrated boot screen changer, everything worked fine until then, now i have to reboot into recovery and re-flash cause my phone is stuck in the particle boot screen after i changed it with that integrated boot screen changer.
    01-31-2012 05:24 PM
    where is the download option ?
    01-31-2012 05:43 PM
    i dont get im a real newb ,where do i fiind a mod and kernal that works with my optimus v ..ive downloaded rom manager , flashed my current rom ,booted into recovery mode and pushed back up ...then what, am i missing something ?
    01-31-2012 05:52 PM
    i dont get im a real newb ,where do i fiind a mod and kernal that works with my optimus v ..ive downloaded rom manager , flashed my current rom ,booted into recovery mode and pushed back up ...then what, am i missing something ?
    Never use Rom Mgr
    01-31-2012 06:12 PM
    It seems that the latest BACKside has a flaw with the integrated boot screen changer, everything worked fine until then, now i have to reboot into recovery and re-flash cause my phone is stuck in the particle boot screen after i changed it with that integrated boot screen changer.
    Is this confirmed?
    01-31-2012 06:21 PM
    Read the first couple posts in this thread

IHO Unofficial CM7. 2
    BACKside IHO 12212011
    01-31-2012 06:29 PM
    Is this confirmed?
    Nope, it works fine, so long as you have the default file manager installed
    a5pe4 likes this.
    01-31-2012 06:42 PM
    Hey guys in extremely new to flashing roms. I succesfully flashed this rom after 3 failed attempts were it would get stuck in the boot animation. The thing i did differently this time was i did not flash the bootsound and green machine theme. The realizing that i forgot about it i went back to flash it. Then once again i got stuck in the boot animation (Which btw is really cool with the bootsound). I think i am flashing in the wrong order or there is a problem with something i'm doing. Plzz help, Thx in advance
    01-31-2012 06:43 PM
    Here are the builds of BACKside-IHO I released in November, let me know the latest one that works for you, I'll try to track down the change that caused your issue.

BACKside-IHO-VM670-11022011.zip
    BACKside-IHO-VM670-11092011.zip
    BACKside-IHO-VM670-11222011.zip
    Thanks a lot, Jerry. You are truly amazing. I'll test them out and get back to you, but it might be a few weeks, I'm super busy at school this semester!
    01-31-2012 06:44 PM
    Nope, it works fine, so long as you have the default file manager installed
    I have been using your IHO for a long while now and never had this problem, I dont know why it did, maybe I did it wrong, but I ain't going to risk doing that again-- if I want to change it I'll just change it manually.
    01-31-2012 07:10 PM
    01-31-2012 07:29 PM
    Just to confirm, since I too removed the OI Filemanger--all I have to do is reinstall from the market, move the apk back to:

Code:
    /system/app
    rename it to Filemanger.apk and the update will find everything it expects to find?

Or has the OI Filemanger been tweaked to fit the system and I need to get the one from the rom?

Also, what is the impact if I removed ADW Launcher?

I've never updated with the application before so I want to do it right the first time if I can.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    01-31-2012 07:34 PM
    Just to confirm, since I too removed the OI Filemanger--all I have to do is reinstall from the market, move the apk back to:

Code:
    /system/app
    rename it to Filemanger.apk and the update will find everything it expects to find?

Or has the OI Filemanger been tweaked to fit the system and I need to get the one from the rom?

Also, what is the impact if I removed ADW Launcher?

I've never updated with the application before so I want to do it right the first time if I can.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    I don't know, I use the default apps (fille manager, launcher). I build to support them, it's almost impossible to support other file managers unless they follow open intents like the incliuded OI File Manager.
    01-31-2012 07:40 PM
6,009 ... 165166167168169 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD