09-22-2015 01:20 PM
6,009 ... 169170171172173 ...
tools
    If you do another installation following the instructions posted, and NOT using ROM Manager, and you still have issues after two reboots, please post a logcat to pastebin and post the link here.
    Will do.

I will try titanium backup as I have the pro version.

3. I have 53 total app icons in my app drawer including those built in such as calculator, spare parts, backside rom updater, etc. I do use TBpro to back them up.

2. I will go back to the original post to see what it is that you do support. Did you ever support Clockwork Mod? That is what I first used when I moved over to your ROM- I must have been confusing that with whatever it was the instructions called for at the time. I will revisit your recommendation. For what its worth, I reboot into clockwork mod recovery and use it to install a zip file from the sd card- I don't use it while the ROM is actually running android. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just thought I would clarify.

1. I used to wipe both cache and dalvik but read somewhere conflicting reports as to whether it was necessary or caused additional issues. I did go back and reinstall the zip file (a fresh download via the computer) and wiped the cache and dalvik before installing it from the zip. It is still showing low memory, but now it shows me as having 76kb free. I will follow directions from here on out

Thanks for taking time to get back with me on this.

j razz
    02-06-2012 09:25 PM
    I see recovery image in your changelog post. I assume this is what I should use to flash your rom? If this is correct, can you tell me where/how I need to install/mount that image file so that I can use it. If I am way off base, can you steer me in the right direction? I didn't see any instructions for that file, if there are any, just point me to them and I am more than happy to read, I just couldn't find any (I did do a search).

j razz
    02-06-2012 09:32 PM
    Will do.

I will try titanium backup as I have the pro version.

3. I have 53 total app icons in my app drawer including those built in such as calculator, spare parts, backside rom updater, etc. I do use TBpro to back them up.

2. I will go back to the original post to see what it is that you do support. Did you ever support Clockwork Mod? That is what I first used when I moved over to your ROM- I must have been confusing that with whatever it was the instructions called for at the time. I will revisit your recommendation. For what its worth, I reboot into clockwork mod recovery and use it to install a zip file from the sd card- I don't use it while the ROM is actually running android. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just thought I would clarify.

1. I used to wipe both cache and dalvik but read somewhere conflicting reports as to whether it was necessary or caused additional issues. I did go back and reinstall the zip file (a fresh download via the computer) and wiped the cache and dalvik before installing it from the zip. It is still showing low memory, but now it shows me as having 76kb free. I will follow directions from here on out

Thanks for taking time to get back with me on this.

j razz
    No problem, hope I do help and not just complain about following instructions all the time!

You don't have too many apps installed, but you should move as many as possible to your sdcard with the built in function in manage applications.

The reason it will appear as if you have less space on internal now is I have removed the functionality of moving dalvik cache. CM used it to give us more space, but the newer versions of the Market don't consider that, and the dalvik cache gets moved into the same partition the newer Market checks. This means with the cache moved, you had 100mb of internal space, but couldn't use them due to the Market saying there was insufficient space. Now, it may show you only have 36mb free, but you don't get errors from the market for insufficient space. 100mb unusuable vs less usable, that's a trade-off I'm hoping will work.

Using TB's integrate dalvik to system function works well also, just be sure you undo it before flashing a new ROM zip file or you'll have to re-flash gapps and sign into your account all over.
    02-06-2012 09:36 PM
    I think I found the instructions (http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...utorial.html)- do you recommend xionia or flash_image gui?

j razz
    02-06-2012 09:37 PM
    I see recovery image in your changelog post. I assume this is what I should use to flash your rom? If this is correct, can you tell me where/how I need to install/mount that image file so that I can use it. If I am way off base, can you steer me in the right direction? I didn't see any instructions for that file, if there are any, just point me to them and I am more than happy to read, I just couldn't find any (I did do a search).

j razz
    To flash a new recovery image, you need the following first:

1- Terminal emulator (download from the Market)
    2- The recovery image file VM670NH_recovery.img
    3- The flash_image binary (included in all IHO ROMs, so you should already have it)

Steps to flash any custom recovery image on the Optimus V:

1- Place the VM670NH_recovery.img file on the root of your sdcard (root means not inside any folders, easier)
    2- Open Terminal emulator and type the following:
    Code:
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img
    So long as you don't see any errors, that's it!

If you do see errors, report them here.
    02-06-2012 09:42 PM
    jerry, i installed the latest version of ur rom clean, wiped everything, installed a theme. When i try to open ur updater it just force closes? any fixes for this?
    JerryScript likes this.
    02-06-2012 10:07 PM
    jerry, i installed the latest version of ur rom clean, wiped everything, installed a theme. When i try to open ur updater it just force closes? any fixes for this?
    Try fixing permissions either via recovery or TitaniumBackup. I haven't had any issues with it, so let me know what happens.

Edit- I just tried in airplane mode, and it closed after about 3 seconds. I will have to add checks for internet connectivity, I just assumed that was a given.
    No problems after turning airplane mode off, so I'm going to bet that's your issue, no network connection at that moment.
    02-06-2012 10:17 PM
    yeeeeep, that was it, turns out i dont have 3g here this time of night lol, even though usually i have max bars by now, anyway turned on wifi and it works now thanks!
    JerryScript likes this.
    02-06-2012 10:48 PM
    yeeeeep, that was it, turns out i dont have 3g here this time of night lol, even though usually i have max bars by now, anyway turned on wifi and it works now thanks!
    Thanks for testing! I will add network connectivity checks in the next release.
    faheyd likes this.
    02-06-2012 11:04 PM
    I wound up doing a clean install and now everything works well. However, whenever I followed the instructions above to install recovery, I got this: write error at 0x00000000 (Out of Memory) wrote block after 1 retries.

It appeared to go through but I didn't know how to access it as I still had clockwork mod installed and I was afraid to uninstall it as that was my backup.

Having said that, I can now choose any of the boot animations. Before I could select it but the pop up that fades out saying that the file has been moved to the boot something folder never popped up. Now it does. Before the boot animation said Backside IHO with an android head popping up from the lower right hand corner. Now android flashes me and tells me to backup.

Before I go any further, I am going to attempt to run the recovery file yet again per your instructions to insure that next time I actually am following your instructions Hopefully it will work this time!

Thanks again for being patient Jerry. And no, I don't mind at all you pointing me back to the instructions... as long as you don't mind me asking for clarification

j razz
    JerryScript likes this.
    02-06-2012 11:30 PM
    updated 20120206 thru the backside updater
    zero problems, i use link2sd with no space/app/market problems since i learned how to use it properly [3 mon.]
    however my screen is still 3.2 inches, could you make it a little bigger in the next update?
    02-07-2012 12:18 AM
    @J RAZZ
    you can also try
    su
    flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img
    02-07-2012 12:29 AM
    For some reason after this flash i was low on memory within the phone itself. 7Mb left to be exact. Any reason for this? Before it had plenty of room

Sent from your mom's phone.
    02-07-2012 12:32 AM
    did you do a full wipe? wipe both deliv and catch, format boot,system,catch,data and WIPE factory/reset....
    02-07-2012 01:01 AM
    For some reason after this flash i was low on memory within the phone itself. 7Mb left to be exact. Any reason for this? Before it had plenty of room

That's the tradeoff with 01mvdalvik disabled. Before, you may have had 100mb available, but couldn't install anything due to Market insufficient space errors. Now you have less available, but you can use it.

Lots of space that's unusable vs limited space that's usable.

Depending upon feedback over the next week, I will either keep this change, revert it, or alter it in some manner. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!
    02-07-2012 01:08 AM
    That's the tradeoff with 01mvdalvik disabled. Before, you may have had 100mb available, but couldn't install anything due to Market insufficient space errors. Now you have less available, but you can use it.

Depending upon feedback over the next week, I will either keep this change, revert it, or alter it in some manner. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!
    Jerry didnt mmarz post a script that would move dalvik to the sd during the startup? I swear I seen somebody talking about that before. They added a script to free some space. Maybe that is a option. It checks for sdcard and then moves the dalvik to the sdcard otherwise it keeps it in place?
    02-07-2012 02:40 AM
    Jerry didnt mmarz post a script that would move dalvik to the sd during the startup? I swear I seen somebody talking about that before. They added a script to free some space. Maybe that is a option. It checks for sdcard and then moves the dalvik to the sdcard otherwise it keeps it in place?
    I'm sure mmarz did, he was a wizard at finding scripts that would work with automated task managers.

I'll do some experimenting as feedback comes in this week, and we'll see what needs to be done then. I'm tired of seeing the insufficient space message, so one way or another, the issue is getting fixed!
    Eollie, a5pe4 and nascar2428 like this.
    02-07-2012 04:23 AM

oh OK. I never had that problem in the first place lol. I was just confused. I've been spazzed out lately.....

02-07-2012 07:38 AM
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for helping me out with the previous problem. It turned out to be a combination of confusing Theme with ROM in the Status bar tweaks.

I have another question, however. IT seems that when I leave my phone on all night plugged in (for an alarm), when I unlock it in the morning, my homescreens vanish, leaving no apps to select or the bottom drawer. It's reproducible over the last couple of nights.

Thanks!
    thdrake56 likes this.
    02-07-2012 10:15 AM
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for helping me out with the previous problem. It turned out to be a combination of confusing Theme with ROM in the Status bar tweaks.

I have another question, however. IT seems that when I leave my phone on all night plugged in (for an alarm), when I unlock it in the morning, my homescreens vanish, leaving no apps to select or the bottom drawer. It's reproducible over the last couple of nights.

Thanks!
    I may have seen similar behavior. Try keeping the back button pressed (the one that kills an app). It seems to kill something (probably ADW launcher), and everything starts up fine after that (if its the same problem).
    02-07-2012 11:54 AM
    Installed Jerry's latest this morning. I didn't have a lot if space left before I flashed, and when I booted back up, I was greeted with the choose your default launcher screen. ADW EX, my normal launcher was missing. Going into the settings menu, I found half my apps were "Nonexistent" (according to the phone) or had a little picture of an SD card where the app icon usually is. I had 512 kilobytes of internal memory left. I figured I'd fix it after school, but while I was at school, I uninstalled 10 or so apps and moved all the non-widget apps to the SD card. Upon reboot, everything was working again (minus uninstalled apps of course). Must have just been an artifact of moving the dalvik. Awesome build once again Jerry!

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V
    JerryScript likes this.
    02-07-2012 01:33 PM
    Jerry, or anyone who has used the recovery for that matter,

I ran the recovery via the terminal and all came back well using the additional /mnt/ in there. Once that was done nothing happened. I assume that is correct.

Coming from using Clockwork Mod previously and on another device for updates and the like, I don't really know what comes next.

Again, all is working well- no issues. But let's say it's time to update, how does that recovery come into play? How do I access it? I know what to do with Clockwork Mod, but I don't know what to do with this recovery option. I did find this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ustom-rom.html when trying to find some information on "recovery", but I think it does the same thing that the terminal does by using Flash GUI and the instructions with recovery stop there.

Now, if I choose Reboot and then Recovery, it shows what I am used to seeing with Clockwork Mod on startup. Is this the recovery apk that you have linked to? If it is, what is confusing me is that it looks like CWM and even says CWM-based no it. This makes me think I am not utilizing your recovery apk correctly. What makes me think I am doing this right and just over analyzing it is that I don't have CWM installed on my phone- Once I flashed the ROM and cleared all partitions, it was gone with the rest of my apps (I think). it does not show up in my app list.

Can you (or someone) shed some light on this? I'm probably just thinking too hard about it, but with your statement about CWM, and my boot into recovery bringing up CWM, I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to read that extra long post.

j razz
    02-07-2012 01:47 PM
    You are fine, it is Bob's version of ClockworkMod.

The difference is now when you are in recovery, the camera button is your select button.
    j.razz1 likes this.
    02-07-2012 01:56 PM
    Thanks for clarifying... I was very confused and didn't have to be

j razz
    02-07-2012 02:24 PM
    For those who haven't noticed: New build of BACKside-IHO is up:

BACKside-IHO-VM670-02062012.zip
    md5sum

GreenMachineTheme-02062012.zip

Changes:
    -Synced with CM7.2
    --New Blade lockscreen ring style
    --Options to set BT timeout
    --Option to set compcache for those with larger app memory issues
    --Option to enable-disable scrolling cache for performance
    -BacksideUpdater gui and performance improvements
    --added menu options and hide unused gui elements for cleaner look
    -Added preference to bootanimation changes so users choice shows in settings menu
    -Market fix by disabling 01mvdalvik should prevent out of space market errors, this may give you issues on first boot. Be sure to move as many apps as possible to sdcard. Will keep/change/revert this depending upon your feedback.

Note- I released this yesterday, delayed the announcement to see how many people would benefit from push notifications in the BacksideUpdater.
    cmerlyn likes this.
    02-07-2012 02:33 PM
6,009 ... 169170171172173 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD