09-22-2015 02:20 PM
6,009 ... 205206207208209 ...
tools
    ^^
    I know, my wife's phone is the same, there's just so many apps she never wanted to start over. But fact is we never got her phone as stable as mine because I did a full reinstall, where hers we restored with TiBu. (Well, until I did the ZV9 update, now hers is more stable - but that's another story )

Basically, if you have a wonky install and have to pull the battery all the time, I'd go back to scratch, wipe and flash again, and install only few apps at a time, till I have it stable.

Flashing gapps gives you the necessary Google account framework - even though you download individual Google apps from market. I don't know that sync and all works without it. The only exception is if your ROM has gapps built-in, such as Harmonia.
    04-17-2012 12:11 AM
    Thanks for another great build Mrg's. 3g speeds haven't quite improved but as always solid as a rock

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    mrg666 likes this.
    04-17-2012 12:21 AM
    I have been using ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and ro.ril.gprsclass=12 for a while(https://github.com/BobZhome/android_...db145f46dcabb7) now.
    When I saw that you recommended ro.ril.hsxpa=2, I had to test it out.
    Test 1: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app
    Ping(ms) Download(kbps) Upload(kbps)
    216 427 405
    206 804 723
    195 1364 800
    179 896 782
    175 1129 734

I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
    Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
    999 298 302
    1132 197 228
    631 509 282
    1101 420 691
    600 321 265

Again, I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
    Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
    284 493 631
    307 622 200
    416 659 408
    598 439 259
    404 314 332

For me, it seems like ro.ril.hsxpa=3 works a little better in my location at this point in time. I'll do some more testing with different times and locations to see if the results are the same.
    Was the 3G better for you on Virgin or Verizon? My tests were done on Virgin...
    Not sure how or whether these settings affect CDMA phones like the OV. According to some research:

[TWEAK: GSM ONLY] Boosting Signal Strength with "ro.ril" props (HSxPA/GPRS/EDGE)

build.prop ro.ril meanings - HTC Dream / HTC Magic Stable Mod - CyanogenMod Forum

List of networks using HSDPA:

List of HSDPA networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What may explain the speed difference is a value of hsxpa=3 is actually invalid, and it falls back to OFF, which means less interference than having it on since it doesn't really apply to the Virgin Mobile (Sprint) network. I would also think having it enabled could draw slightly more power (or run extra unnecessary code) in its attempts to establish that protocol. I haven't installed it on my OV long enough to notice yet.

Also I installed tvall's 0.2 kernel with the scheduler tweaks and it's running fine on latest Mirage build. Maybe slightly more responsive, thanks for the updated kernel. As I posted on the XDA IHO thread a while back, using the SIO scheduler allows the phone to prevent long I/O transfers from blocking other threads (a good thing, also confirmed by tests someone did & posted about (maybe on xda), only scheduler faster was NOOP, but that blocked other threads).

One minor tweak left I think is to default to interactive governor instead of conservative which should almost be removed because it's slow and any battery improvement is questionable (set with kernel compile flag in the .config file: CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y). Not sure about the other CPU schedulers & tweaks, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. Battery life is something I'm watching closely.
    04-17-2012 02:24 AM
    One minor tweak left I think is to default to interactive governor instead of conservative which should almost be removed because it's slow and any battery improvement is questionable (set with kernel compile flag in the .config file: CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y). Not sure about the other CPU schedulers & tweaks, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. Battery life is something I'm watching closely.
    that part was a mistake that i think ive already corrected. in case you were wondering. I'm new to this kernel thing. i usually set the default to ondemand because it works and its what other kernel devs set it to usually. but since most users of my kernel will be on iho, it cant hurt to set it to something else. (i usually use the interactive governor, but i havent done much testing)
    04-17-2012 03:06 AM
    So i just installed the latest version to my girl friend's phone did a full wipe / sd card format and reinstalled everything so its a fresh install..we are now having the problem of the phone locking up 5-10 times a day and having to do a battery pull..any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated
    So I wiped and re flashed everything and still the same thing..we have narrowed it down to she works at a hospital and service is constantly in and out..any more ideas?
    04-17-2012 02:20 PM
    Have you tried unchecking the rotation annamation in cygen settings,interface?

My phone was freezing and that worked for me
    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-17-2012 02:42 PM
    Have you tried unchecking the rotation annamation in cygen settings,interface?

My phone was freezing and that worked for me
    The show animation under cynogenmod settings?
    04-17-2012 02:48 PM
    The show animation under cynogenmod settings?
    Yes

I think it requires a reboot
    04-17-2012 03:12 PM
    Thanks for another great build Mrg's. 3g speeds haven't quite improved but as always solid as a rockClick to view quoted image

Here is what I have
    glarepate likes this.
    04-17-2012 04:16 PM
    New build of BACKside-IHO us up!

Download via the BacksideUpdater (just wait till you see the new one!)

or

BACKside-IHO-VM670-04172012.zip
    md5sum d396e9c3e62e80747f00877415ea6bb7

GreenMachineTheme-04172012.zip

Changes: Synced with CM and cherry-picked some changes
    -- Lots of behind the scenes code improvements in dalvik, should lead to smoother performance
    -- -- BacksideUpdater huge update!!!
    -- -- Added download progress indicator but it is still OK to exit and let it complete in the background
    -- -- Added the ability to Automatically Install ROM Updates!!
    -- -- -- Once you have downloaded the ROM package and BacksideUpdater verifies it, you can select Install ROM Now and your phone will reboot and wipe cache/dalvik-cache and install the ROM and reboot back to normal All Automatically!

For the best results download and install CWM-Green-Recovery, a new recovery I built for just this purpose!

Note- Automatic install has been tested to work on CWM-Green, BobZhome, IHO, and Drew's-Touch recoveries. Automatic wipe dalvik-cache only works on CWM-Green-Recovery.

Thanks as always to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, tdm, LeslieAnn, gannon, tvall, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, kermikalelite, the CM team, the AOSP team, and a whole lot more!
    LeslieAnn, cmerlyn, a5pe4 and 9 others like this.
    04-18-2012 12:25 AM
    New build of BACKside-IHO us up!

Download via the BacksideUpdater (just wait till you see the new one!)

or

BACKside-IHO-VM670-04172012.zip
    md5sum d396e9c3e62e80747f00877415ea6bb7

GreenMachineTheme-04172012.zip

Changes: Synced with CM and cherry-picked some changes
    -- Lots of behind the scenes code improvements in dalvik, should lead to smoother performance
    -- -- BacksideUpdater huge update!!!
    -- -- Added download progress indicator but it is still OK to exit and let it complete in the background
    -- -- Added the ability to Automatically Install ROM Updates!!
    -- -- -- Once you have downloaded the ROM package and BacksideUpdater verifies it, you can select Install ROM Now and your phone will reboot and wipe cache/dalvik-cache and install the ROM and reboot back to normal All Automatically!

For the best results download and install CWM-Green-Recovery, a new recovery I built for just this purpose!

Note- Automatic install has been tested to work on CWM-Green, BobZhome, IHO, and Drew's-Touch recoveries. Automatic wipe dalvik-cache only works on CWM-Green-Recovery.

Thanks as always to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, tdm, LeslieAnn, gannon, tvall, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, kermikalelite, the CM team, the AOSP team, and a whole lot more!
    This is so awesome Jerry. Thank you for your awesome work.

Can you explain what automatic wipe dalvik cache does? Is that wiping the dcache from within the ROM like CM7?

Thanks!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-18-2012 12:45 AM
    When you install an update to a ROM, it is standard procedure to wipe the dalvik-cache. This is normally done under the advanced menu in recovery. Without wiping dalvik-cache, you often get FCs and/or freezes due to incompatible code/data fragments being left behind from the previous installation.

My new CWM-Green-Recovery will automatically wipe dalvik cache when the auto-install method is choosen in the BacksideUpdater. No muss, no fuss.
    04-18-2012 12:50 AM
    Hi Jerry,
    Thanks again for your awesome work! Just wanted to ask if boot sounds were currently working. did a search in the thread but latest thing I found in your patch notes was that this was fixed.

And Chang4u, if you want to change that animation you have to edit the boot.img itself. This is done by
    1) installing cygwin (assuming you're pc)
    2) installing android kitchen so it can extract and rebuild the image
    3) grabbing a png to rle converter
    4) correctly modifying the files in a way that still allows the system to boot up while animating nicely
    all the while not bricking your system.

Unless you're obsessed and you're either a programmer or an artist or both I don't think it's worth it to learn how to do this. That is until they develop a tool for bootimages customization.

regardless it always involves the boot.img, which if you mess up you basically get a non booting phone or a nice data wipe if you don't have the proper files and so forth for custom recovery.
    04-18-2012 05:39 AM
    Jerry. Post a new build already. Want to flash it

Sent from your mom's phone.
    04-18-2012 11:46 AM
    I like the idea of the auto update, but i usually do backups in recovery before i do the flash. Whats the best way to do that now, rom manger?
    04-18-2012 01:00 PM
    I like the idea of the auto update, but i usually do backups in recovery before i do the flash. Whats the best way to do that now, rom manger?
    Reading Jerry's Green Recovery thread, it says you can choose manual flashing, in which case it still downloads and MD5 checks the ROM, then reboots you into recovery. Here you can make your backup and flash the update. It's semi-automatic.

I hope I'm understating this correctly.

I am blown away by this initiative of Jerry's. He is providing a tool set to raise the level of support and ease-of-use for all ROMs, not just his own!
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-18-2012 01:14 PM
    Here's a fun fact that I noticed...idk if people know or noticed it before but theme Chooser only works for adw launcher and not for launcher pro. Just thought I should point it out. Love the new automatic update.

JerryScript likes this.
    04-18-2012 01:16 PM
    I still don't recommend ROM manager on the Optimus V. For now, do your backups manually, I'll see about adding an automatic option.
    kraven likes this.
    04-18-2012 02:23 PM
    Jerry, is it possible to convert an MIUI theme to a CM7 theme? (Either through flashing or theme chooser)
    04-18-2012 02:49 PM
    Jerry, is it possible to convert an MIUI theme to a CM7 theme? (Either through flashing or theme chooser)
    Depends on how the theme was made. I'm not sure if MIUI uses the same theme machine as CM7? Looks like you have some googling to do.
    04-18-2012 02:55 PM
    Depends on how the theme was made. I'm not sure if MIUI uses the same theme machine as CM7? Looks like you have some googling to do.
    I've been Googling too, but I wanted to ask an expert. :P
    I just really like this one MIUI theme, but IHO runs so much smoother and has more features than our current MIUI ROM
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-18-2012 02:57 PM
    There is an ADW theme on Play Store ($1), and an MIUI style launcher (free) that won't effect the rest of the rom.
    04-18-2012 04:21 PM
    i installed green machine theme and i dont like it how do install a differnt one? i tryed flashing the blues and i keep getting adw force close untill i have to reflash the rom
    04-18-2012 06:37 PM
    So let me be clear and clarify this with you.... even though, I myself, have not done it-- if the radio update has not yet been flashed, it is now not recommended to be done with this new recovery? Thanks in advance
    04-18-2012 07:04 PM
    So let me be clear and clarify this with you.... even though, I myself, have not done it-- if the radio update has not yet been flashed, it is now not recommended to be done with this new recovery? Thanks in advance
    No, it might brick

04-18-2012 07:08 PM
6,009 ... 205206207208209 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD