09-22-2015 02:20 PM
6,009 ... 215216217218219 ...
tools
    Great. Now tell us which rom you are using, what version, what changes you have made, whether you did a full wipe before flashing or not, and any other info that could give us a clue as to what is happening. At this point all we know is you did something wrong.
    I'll also add make sure the area code is used mms doesn't work without it

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    05-07-2012 05:07 AM
    epic failure at building my own rom so finally broke down and flashed jerrys latest... bobz4.0 on top... borked the rom while deleting bloat/ installing my apps/ customizing settings... im sure this was due to me not doing this in stages as per my normal routine... but found it odd that after the random reboot, it got stuck on an alternate splash screen of the android mooning me... i guess this is to let me know that the rom didnt like the overload without intermittent reboots to sort out the changes... just thought id post in case anyone else runs into this... ill try again tomorrow after work.... keep up the great work!... :-)
    Don't give up. On building, its so gratifying when you get your first successful build, and you learn a lot along the way

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    clodfelterac likes this.
    05-07-2012 10:17 AM
    Bob's 4.0 kernel wouldn't boot on tvall's ROM. *sad face
    05-07-2012 10:45 AM
    HELP!!!! (no it's not bricked). My husband's Gen2 OV runs Backside IHO (up to date) w/ CWM Green recovery & the latest GAPPS
    file for 2.3.7 from Goo.im website. His radio is ZV5. He uses his phone for business. He also has Beat the Traffic app,(which is GPS dependant) and has force closing & reboot issues when those apps are running. He was running Google Maps to get an address on a parking lot in Baltimore, MD Inner Harbor. (driving a 33 ft limo w/ 18 teens & a panicked wife going to prom!) Maps would struggle to lock, then lock up the phone, then force close & reboot. Beat the Traffic app would do the same thing. I was with him navigating as the Inner Harbor area is full of ONE WAY, VERY NARROW streets! His Garmin is two years old and won't cough up an address if there is no building. (an event parking lot for the limo isn't a address to a Garmin but Maps found it before it force closed again!) Tried to fix permissions using ROM Toolbox. Didn't help. He doesn't have ROM Manager installed. Would the ZV9 update help? Is it a problem with the last Backside update? Has it become a GPS Library problem ? I heard going back to the stock rom is the safest way to install the ZV9 update but, I can't remember how to go back?!
    He can't risk losing ANY data on this phone. It's backup every Sunday as a result! Any advice here? ANYBODY??
    05-07-2012 02:06 PM
    How recent is the issue, can he go back to a recovery that has it working and does it work then?
    What data has to be backed up that he needs?
    05-07-2012 02:16 PM
    HELP!!!! (no it's not bricked). My husband's Gen2 OV runs Backside IHO (up to date) w/
    CWM Green recovery & the latest GAPPS file for 2.3.7 from Goo.im website. His radio is ZV5. He uses his phone for business. He also has Beat the Traffic app,(which is GPS dependant) and has force closing & reboot issues. He was running Google Maps to get an address on a parking lot in Baltimore, MD Inner Harbor. (driving a 33 ft limo w/ 18 teens going to prom!) Maps would struggle to lock, then lock up the phone, then force close & reboot. Beat the Traffic app would do the same thing. I was with him navigating as the Inner Harbor area is full of ONE WAY, VERY NARROW streets! His Garmin is two years old and won't cough up an address if there is no building. (a verified parking lot for the limo isn't a address to a Garmin) Tried to fix permissions using ROM Toolbox.Didn't help. He doesn't have
    ROM Manager installed. Would the ZV9 update help? is it a problem with the last Backside update? Has it become a GPS Library problem ? I heard going back to the stock rom is a safe way to install the ZV9 update but, I can't remember how to go back to the stock rom. He can't risk losing ANY data on this phone. It's backup every Sunday as a result! Any advice here? ANYBODY??
    If you dont want to lose any of the data I would format /system cache and dalvik then reflash the backside zip and gapps.
    crickie likes this.
    05-07-2012 02:19 PM
    Also, I saw it was a timesheet app he needs to have, just a quick look at Google play and the first one I saw had an export/import feature for the stuff in it, would that data it exports be what you need to keep or is there more data?
    05-07-2012 02:20 PM
    If you dont want to lose any of the data I would format /system cache and dalvik then reflash the backside zip and gapps.
    The problem is very similar to mine. Using the GPS, particularly with Maps is a one way ticket to reboot hell. I've always has the problem on my recent OV with IHO.

What she's asking is if the more recent kernels or the ZV9 update will help. (I'd be interested, too).
    05-07-2012 02:22 PM
    HELP!!!! (no it's not bricked). My husband's Gen2 OV runs Backside IHO (up to date) w/ CWM Green recovery & the latest GAPPS
    file for 2.3.7 from Goo.im website. His radio is ZV5. He uses his phone for business. He also has Beat the Traffic app,(which is GPS dependant) and has force closing & reboot issues when those apps are running. He was running Google Maps to get an address on a parking lot in Baltimore, MD Inner Harbor. (driving a 33 ft limo w/ 18 teens & a panicked wife going to prom!) Maps would struggle to lock, then lock up the phone, then force close & reboot. Beat the Traffic app would do the same thing. I was with him navigating as the Inner Harbor area is full of ONE WAY, VERY NARROW streets! His Garmin is two years old and won't cough up an address if there is no building. (an event parking lot for the limo isn't a address to a Garmin but Maps found it before it force closed again!) Tried to fix permissions using ROM Toolbox. Didn't help. He doesn't have ROM Manager installed. Would the ZV9 update help? Is it a problem with the last Backside update? Has it become a GPS Library problem ? I heard going back to the stock rom is the safest way to install the ZV9 update but, I can't remember how to go back?! He can't risk losing ANY data on this phone. It's backup every Sunday as a result! Any advice here? ANYBODY??
    Have you tried fixing permissions in terminal?

su
    fix_permissions

Possibly clearing cache and dalvik cache? You could always back up all the apps with Ttitanium Backup (which will include the app data) and try a fresh install, then restoring all the apps and their data (of course make sure you back up the ROM to just in case). You can also back up all the contacts with the messaging app (unless they are already back up to google).

Also if it Maps giving you issues I use an older version 4.5.0 since after that the app started to start itself. Maybe it could be the newest version of Maps that is faulty? I wouldn't know.

I doubt updating to the newest radio will help any.
    crickie likes this.
    05-07-2012 02:28 PM
    yeah crickie it sounds more like a fresh install. Format everything including the sdcard only after making a backup of necessary data. However I wouldnt restore any data other than maybe the timeclock app. Take screenshots of the screens so you can set it up the same as it was.

I would hold off on flashing the zv9 update.
    crickie likes this.
    05-07-2012 03:02 PM
    yeah crickie it sounds more like a fresh install. Format everything including the sdcard only after making a backup of necessary data. However I wouldnt restore any data other than maybe the timeclock app. Take screenshots of the screens so you can set it up the same as it was.

I would hold off on flashing the zv9 update.
    One thing.

There *IS* an issue with the GPS on some OV phones with IHO. I've been struggling with it ever since I got my phone late last year. Using it in some circumstances will cause the phone to reboot. This has nothing to do with a botched install, configuration or apps installed. I've used Backside, Mirage (which is my goto), a few of the others with the same results. Overclocked or underclocked. Moving or standing still. Using Google Maps or another GPS app. It is a known issue, and no amount of reinstalling is going to help crickie. I've installed IHO on my phone probably 15 or 20 different times, many of them completely fresh installs, and it has never made a difference.

It doesn't happen, btw, with the stock firmware, but I use IHO because the benefits far outweigh this one issue for me.

The only thing that I know has any bearing on it is that it seems to happen mostly when there's an iffy data connection, either wifi or 3G. For instance, i can sit in my living room with the GPS running forever with no issues. If I move to my back room, where the wifi barely reaches, it will usually kernel panic within 15 minutes or so, predictably. Same thing if I'm driving around the rurals where the 3G drops in and out a lot.

Anyway, I appreciate that the stock answer and assumption is a botched install (i've had weridness from that too), but in this case, there is an actual known problem that is very very difficult to track down, and seems to be tied to a particular revision of phone in a particular circumstance.

/soapbox off
    05-07-2012 03:21 PM
    I don't know why the triple post. Sorry guys. Time Sheet app is a time clock app for your phone. It exports the time you "punch in/out" to Google Docs after converting the file to csv format so it can open in MS Office, Quick Books..etc. You email that csv doc to a payroll person to get paid!! It's how he gets paid! That HAS to be backed up once a week in case of phone failure! So far, I managed to re-enter that data. That app isn't the issue, it's any app that needs a GPS fix to run. (anything that came with Google Maps, or any traffic app..etc). When I update Backside IHO in his phone, it's usually on Sunday (quiet day) when he's home, not trucking over the road. He trucks into areas with bad reception, so I don't load the updates OTA. Plus he gets endless calls & txts which sometimes breakup the download. I wipe the cache & dalvik cache always when I flash Backside updates manually. If you leave un-wiped junk behind, it can mess with the updated stuff. I keep all his stuff & apps backed up, but if I brick it, he'll have a heart attack & my head! And I'll have a nervous breakdown trying to fix it before he rolls again! I am just wondering if the GPS-radio related issues can be fixed with this update, or will I be biting off more than I can chew for what it's worth. This issue happened last Sat nite. And I've tried fixing it thru su permissions. Still sketchy & rebooting. I tried using his restore thinking it was the latest rom update, but it did the same thing. I always backup his phone before an update. I thought about using an older version of Maps, but he NEEDS the latest info when he rolls out. They send him to some far-fetched places. One place wasn't even on ANY map yet. Too new! Maybe a new Garmin for now may give us less trouble??!!! Shame that he has Google Maps w/ the very latest mapping & GPS software available and he will have to by a Garmin or Tom Tom! For now he'll stay away from that ZV9 update. I don't want to brick that phone. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
    05-07-2012 04:14 PM
    One thing.

There *IS* an issue with the GPS on some OV phones with IHO. I've been struggling with it ever since I got my phone late last year. Using it in some circumstances will cause the phone to reboot. This has nothing to do with a botched install, configuration or apps installed. I've used Backside, Mirage (which is my goto), a few of the others with the same results. Overclocked or underclocked. Moving or standing still. Using Google Maps or another GPS app. It is a known issue, and no amount of reinstalling is going to help crickie. I've installed IHO on my phone probably 15 or 20 different times, many of them completely fresh installs, and it has never made a difference.

It doesn't happen, btw, with the stock firmware, but I use IHO because the benefits far outweigh this one issue for me.

The only thing that I know has any bearing on it is that it seems to happen mostly when there's an iffy data connection, either wifi or 3G. For instance, i can sit in my living room with the GPS running forever with no issues. If I move to my back room, where the wifi barely reaches, it will usually kernel panic within 15 minutes or so, predictably. Same thing if I'm driving around the rurals where the 3G drops in and out a lot.

Anyway, I appreciate that the stock answer and assumption is a botched install (i've had weridness from that too), but in this case, there is an actual known problem that is very very difficult to track down, and seems to be tied to a particular revision of phone in a particular circumstance.

/soapbox off
    I have had this same issue too. I can +1 this
    05-07-2012 04:38 PM
    Have you tried going into Settings -> Location & security -> GPS Source and selecting Use Internal GPS? That might be your issue. I don't know if or if not this causes an issue with the GPS though.
    crickie likes this.
    05-07-2012 04:43 PM
    Have you tried going into Settings -> Location & security -> GPS Source and selecting Use Internal GPS? That might be your issue. I don't know if or if not this causes an issue with the GPS though.
    Well, anything is worth a try, although one would assume that if you don't use an external GPS, and 'internal' is the only option, it is used by default...
    05-07-2012 04:51 PM
    Well, anything is worth a try, although one would assume that if you don't use an external GPS, and 'internal' is the only option, it is used by default...
    True but when you initially flash a ROM (or IHO to be more specific) and look at it, it appears to be not checked (who knows if that does anything though, lol). I'd have to say probably the best bet for this issue is a full wipe / fresh install.
    05-07-2012 04:55 PM
    I'd have to say probably the best bet for this issue is a full wipe / fresh install.
    I'd have to be something special for my 10-15 complete wipes over the last 6 months to all have been botched....

05-07-2012 05:10 PM
    One thing.

My GPS is also bad and my conclusion is that this is a hardware related issue. I have three OVs at home right now, each of them has different GPS accuracy with the same ROM (MiRaGe). (YES I had done at the same location and at the same time.) One of them immediately locks and finds more than 10 satellites in about a minute with about 15m accuracy. (Using GPStest) The worst phone takes at least several minutes to lock and accuracy is at best 150m and maximum 5 satellites. The worst phone also frequently loses satellite connection and also reboots occasionally while trying to find the satellites. I flashed the stock firmware and it didn't matter.
    05-07-2012 07:48 PM
    My GPS is also bad and my conclusion is that this is a hardware related issue.
    Weird that it differs so much from phone to phone. I've pretty much resolved myself that if I really want GPS on this phone, I'll probably have to buy a cheap BT reciever.
    05-07-2012 08:02 PM
    Using the latest BACKside and the MMS hasn't been working.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    05-07-2012 08:20 PM
    Great. Now tell us which rom you are using, what version, what changes you have made, whether you did a full wipe before flashing or not, and any other info that could give us a clue as to what is happening. At this point all we know is you did something wrong.
    I too am having this problem. I am running Jerry's latest build at the moment, with no mods of my own. I always do a full wipe and clean install when flashing ROMs (it just seems less buggy to me). The area code is included in every MMS I send. This has been happening to me with any IHO ROM I use, (BACKside, Mirage, BobZhome, Harmonia2). I use Handcent for my messaging, and to avoid double notifications, I un-check "Enable Notifications" and "Auto-retrieve" from the default messaging app. Do you think by me un-checking auto-retrieve that could be causing the issue? I am unable to send or receive MMS.
    05-07-2012 08:55 PM
    Now that the kernel fix for the phones with zv9 baseband is confirmed, I have uploaded the latest build 05082012 with the final build of the kernel that also includes the sio scheduler and a fresh CM sync. Enjoy!

I am very much impressed with the team work of this community in the last week and thanks to everyone, I mean everyone, no names here this time.
    05-08-2012 03:05 PM
    Flashed this rom. Everything seems to work (very cool) but 3g is not connecting.
    Also, CDMA Network Preferences drop down not having any affect, seems to always try CDMA/EvDo but no buttons are selecting.

Do I need to install Download CWM-Green-recovery-05022012.img? Did not see how.
    I am not very experienced with this process.
    05-09-2012 12:07 AM
    I just tested MMS on my latest build, and it works fine. BTW- I always test it before releasing each build as well.

Perhaps you have a 3g outage in your area, you can call VM or check their twitter account for details on most 3g issues.
    glarepate and RT78 like this.
    05-09-2012 02:20 AM
    Ive been testing Bobs latest kernel with the latest version of Backside on my V9 updated phone, and no more reboots or text lags so far
    glarepate and JerryScript like this.
    05-09-2012 12:38 PM
6,009 ... 215216217218219 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD