[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to pass on this one, it seems to only fix the charging issues, which I'm not having, and I don't feel like redoing everything again. Thanks for the continuing support

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not hving this issue either so will wit but gld to see tht this issue ws fixed in quick timing for those tht re hving the issue. :)

narrow_minded#WN

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Backside ROM for a couple of days, and I love it... except for the battery life. Granted, I may be spoiled by the awesome battery life of Harmonia, but draining 10% in 2 hours on mostly standby doesn't work for me. I checked what's using the battery, and it seems Wi-Fi is using a lot more battery life than it does on Harmonia.

Other than that though, great job with this ROM. If you can somehow tone down how much life Wi-Fi uses, I will come back. :) But for now, I'm sticking with Harmonia.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to pass on this one, it seems to only fix the charging issues, which I'm not having, and I don't feel like redoing everything again. Thanks for the continuing support

You should be able to wipe cache/dalvik, then just flash the ROM, and theme if using one when updating from one build to the next. No need to format data if you are updating, so you won't have to reinstall everything.

I update the install instructions with this info. ;)

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
My bttery life ws pretty shotty but I switched from interctive to ondemnd nd it is working much better now.
BTW nnoying s it is my @ key isn't working lol. Not typing out @ everytime I wnt to use n @ sorry. :(

lol.

Don't underestimate the effect that the governor would have. I switched the default to 'ondemand' because it does a much better job of throttling the CPU down. Especially with things live wallpapers 'interactive' was keeping the CPU at max speed as much as possible. In the end, 'ondemand' gives me a negligible hit in responsiveness. Same thing with 'smartass'. It's in there now, but in watching it, it really didn't want to throttle the CPU down (better than interactive, but it's still a matter of tuning), but because it uses a more complex algorithm it also kept the CPU usage at higher levels than 'ondemand'.

While I didn't keep using any of them long enough to determine if there'd be a significant difference in battery life, I'd be hard pressed to believe that you'll get better battery life with 'interactive' or 'smartass'.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
I tried the Backside ROM for a couple of days, and I love it... except for the battery life. Granted, I may be spoiled by the awesome battery life of Harmonia, but draining 10% in 2 hours on mostly standby doesn't work for me. I checked what's using the battery, and it seems Wi-Fi is using a lot more battery life than it does on Harmonia.

Other than that though, great job with this ROM. If you can somehow tone down how much life Wi-Fi uses, I will come back. :) But for now, I'm sticking with Harmonia.

Is that while you're actually connected to an AP or while you're not?

There's a set period of time that the WiFi hardware waits after it's given up looking for an AP before it starts looking again. Right now it's set pretty low in this ROM, and Jerry's proposed bumping it up quite a bit. If you're mostly not connected to an access point and the WiFi is still draining power this may help.

If you're mostly connected to an AP and it's draining power, that won't. OTOH, there's some sort of WiFi power saving hack in Mik9's kernel that /may/ help (if I could wrap my head around what it actually does that'd be a good first start).

narrow_minded#WN

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Is that while you're actually connected to an AP or while you're not?

There's a set period of time that the WiFi hardware waits after it's given up looking for an AP before it starts looking again. Right now it's set pretty low in this ROM, and Jerry's proposed bumping it up quite a bit. If you're mostly not connected to an access point and the WiFi is still draining power this may help.

If you're mostly connected to an AP and it's draining power, that won't. OTOH, there's some sort of WiFi power saving hack in Mik9's kernel that /may/ help (if I could wrap my head around what it actually does that'd be a good first start).

I only have wifi on when I'm able to be connected to it. And it's set to never sleep because I have very slow data at my house, and I've found that setting helps the battery.

Would you recommend maybe recalibrating the battery?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed my phone (running 0722 build, w/ kernel #53, ondemand CPU 245-600) had good drain after reboot & full battery charge and idling with everything off except 3G data on (Section 1 in graph). This was about 1%/hour drain.

battgraph.jpg

Then I turned on GMaps w/ navigation and normal usage with light texting & a few phone calls (Section 2 in graph). This seemed normal for active use. But then after that is when it gets odd.

Section 3 was idling overnight while I was sleeping (everything off, except 3G/phone on). This doesn't seem right because the Awake & Screen on detected it was on all the time, but the phone was really off. And the battery drain was about 2%/hour. I did a logcat at the end of this section.

--------- beginning of /dev/log/system W/InputManagerService( 118): Window alr - Pastebin.com

Finally I rebooted the phone, which seemed to allow it to resume to 1%/drain, but the awake/screen on was still detected as on. Keep in mind this was still with ondemand governor and default 245/600 CPU. I did a second logcat at this point.

--------- beginning of /dev/log/main I//system/xbin/run-parts( 59): run-parts - Pastebin.com

Does anyone know what could explain the constant awake & screen on phenomenon and worse battery drain after using navigation & text/phone calls? Sections 3 & 4 should've been the same as section 1. I checked the services and no extraneous app services were running (wifi, BT, GPS, screen all off). I even killed the maps app before the overnight idling to make sure it was stopped.

I've just flashed the newer 0725 build and will report back if anything's different, but I don't think it would be much different since it was mostly USB tethering fixes right? Seems like something grabbed the CPU and constantly drained it while idling.

UPDATE: I'm beginning to suspect it's a problem with the Google Maps app (navigation is still in beta after all). I remember battery meter did read Maps was using about 40% of the juice, higher than the usual cell standby & phone idle. On 0725 build now and after 6 hrs unplugged, it's still at 97% left. I have 3G,wifi,GPS,BT all off except a couple of test calls, a quick web email check & a few random battery stat checks in this time. I'll try to enable things one at a time to see what triggers the massive drain.

UPDATE: It's the turning on and off of GPS that causes it to go into high-drain mode. The reporting of awake-lock seems like a bug because in a later fully charged rom, the drain was modest, but the stats still reported the screen being locked.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I only have wifi on when I'm able to be connected to it. And it's set to never sleep because I have very slow data at my house, and I've found that setting helps the battery.

Would you recommend maybe recalibrating the battery?
When installing a new rom YES always re-calibrate the battery.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's my 07/25/2011 Build with the "r1" version IHO kernel.

KemikalElite IHO CM7 07252011

This latest kernel version from blarf fixes USB charging.

I'm going to be building a custom theme for CM7.
To support my builds and anything else I've contributed, consider creating a dropbox account using this link.
http://db.tt/xHVRcrq

Glad to see you got your build environment working again! Can't wait to see the theme and what else you might have planned!

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see you got your build environment working again! Can't wait to see the theme and what else you might have planned!

You forgot to add and your a key working again.

Kem, I think a key map is corrupted and deleted the a from your system keymap. Just a suggestion.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like something's holding a wakelock.

Wakelocks profiling - android-discuss

This reminds me of a situation where in stock Froyo ROM, I was using Moon+ Reader Pro to read an ebook using the Text-to-Speech feature, after the screen times out, the speech continues for about 3-5 mins and would shutdown too, like into a deep sleep mode. The way to continue was for me to wake up the phone manually.

I didn't notice this deep-sleep mode in this ROM, when using the reader, even after screen times off, the TTS keeps on reading without having to manually wake up. This seems like one of the major differences between CM7 and Froyo based ROMs and may explain the battery drain differences.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to add and your a key working again.

Kem, I think a key map is corrupted and deleted the a from your system keymap. Just a suggestion.

I think you meant the post I made about my a key not working. :p
It is working at the moment but it comes and goes as it pleases...kind of annoying.