[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I set it to 806-787 just like I have it on bumblebee. It drained like 10% off a full charge in about 3 hours of mostly standby and a few texts. I had 3g off. That was never a problem with bumblebee. I flashed back to bumblebee and got about 25mb of ram back which were used up in IHO. Im just saying. I think this rom is awesome, but to me battery life is one of the most important things. 480 isnt the best min speed for battery life. For the best battery life set it to 806-806 max and min. 806 uses the least amount of power to complete tasks. I personally have it on 806-787 since my optimus would reboot sometimes on 806-806, but thats cause my optimus is pretty lazy and 806 is is the highest it goes.

Check the sticky and find the threads on battery tests by Marzz and read the whole thread.
You are working on incorrect and early information that was later updated in the thread. Some of which I post below.

Also, a LAZY Optimus at 806?
You need to do some research. Very few go any higher and it has been shown that running at absolute max speed is bad for battery. Most cannot go above mid 700's stable and you still need to come down a setting or two from peak for the best efficiency.

I believe there used to be a thread where someone tested various ROMs & min/max CPU settings, and reached the conclusion that increasing the min CPU didn't drain more battery, but just finished whatever calculations faster. But I think they were all done using one kernel (Picasticks?), and it may not apply to other kernels like today. I use mine at default 245/600 Ondemand and get great battery life & runs pretty smooth.

Min CPU does have an effect.
Too low and the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there until it has completed the task. This isn't a problem on something short term, however, listening to streaming music can exceed 245 processing power so your cpu will continuously run at 100% the entire time you listen to streaming music. You need to find a happy medium. This is why I put overclock recommendations on Harmonia of a minimum of 400. Too high and you waste battery at idle, too low and you waste battery anytime anything minor runs.

Granted this research was based on Froyo, but likely holds true on GB as well.

Jk16w

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Check the sticky and find the threads on battery tests by Marzz and read the whole thread.
You are working on incorrect and early information that was later updated in the thread. Some of which I post below.

You need to do some research. Very few go any higher and it has been shown that running at absolute max speed is bad for battery. Most cannot go above mid 700's stable and you still need to come down a setting or two from peak for the best efficiency.

Too low and the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there until it has completed the task. This isn't a problem on something short term, however, listening to streaming music can exceed 245 processing power so your cpu will continuously run at 100% the entire time you listen to streaming music. You need to find a happy medium. This is why I put overclock recommendations on Harmonia of a minimum of 400. Too high and you waste battery at idle, too low and you waste battery anytime anything minor runs.

I have never had a problem with my phone running at 864max and 844min. It seems stable, every app works, and battery life is great in my opinion.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe there used to be a thread where someone tested various ROMs & min/max CPU settings, and reached the conclusion that increasing the min CPU didn't drain more battery, but just finished whatever calculations faster. But I think they were all done using one kernel (Picasticks?), and it may not apply to other kernels like today. I use mine at default 245/600 Ondemand and get great battery life & runs pretty smooth.

Running you CPU at max speed 24/7 isn't going to do you any favors for battery life or the life of the CPU in general.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I'd like to see real tests on GB instead of just assuming it's the same. It could've been in Froyo ROMs, the kernel or something internal wasn't efficient and triggered the CPU spikes that kept it running at higher CPU. Gingerbread also has a lot of internal updates so it may be perfectly fine streaming or doing other low-demand activties at 245 Mhz.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I set it to 806-787 just like I have it on bumblebee. It drained like 10% off a full charge in about 3 hours of mostly standby and a few texts. I had 3g off. That was never a problem with bumblebee. I flashed back to bumblebee and got about 25mb of ram back which were used up in IHO. Im just saying. I think this rom is awesome, but to me battery life is one of the most important things. 480 isnt the best min speed for battery life. For the best battery life set it to 806-806 max and min. 806 uses the least amount of power to complete tasks. I personally have it on 806-787 since my optimus would reboot sometimes on 806-806, but thats cause my optimus is pretty lazy and 806 is is the highest it goes.
You are misinformed. However you did read part of that thread mmarz posted. I give you that.

The test was by mmarz and used the recommended kernel for each rom. They were a mix of Froyo and Gingerbread roms.

LeslieAnn is correct on everything mmarz posted two threads and by the end of the second one had come to the conclusion above. However the tests were perfromed on both Froyo and GB.

I'd like to see real tests on GB instead of just assuming it's the same. It could've been in Froyo ROMs, the kernel or something internal wasn't efficient and triggered the CPU spikes that kept it running at higher CPU. Gingerbread also has a lot of internal updates so it may be perfectly fine streaming or doing other low-demand activties at 245 Mhz.

The tests where conducted on 2.3/Gingerbread the early adaptations of the rom by aSOP and Zefie.
Here are the links. Yes they should be updated with the new roms but they are a basic idea.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...71693-optimizing-battery-drain-optimus-v.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...attery-drain-optimization-tests-part-2-a.html

israelsalinas14

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok I consider my optimus lazy because my other optimus with bad esn can go up to 864 completely stable. It clearly showed on one of mmarz's graphs that 806 was the most efficient and used the least amount of power to complete tasks. The slower speeds used the most power. I think its actually comon sense, faster speeds-less time to finish tasks-more battery savings. Thats my opinion though.

Now back to topic. All I said was that backside rom had bad battery life compared to bumblebee. I used the same settings and apps for both. Could be gingerbreads features? Or could be that bumblebee has many more tweaks and mods which give better battery life? Only JerryScript and obijohn would know.

Last edited:

israelsalinas14

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Why would you have your cpu at max speeds all the time? Bring the min speed way down and then talk about battery life.

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

806-806 are the same speeds that I use on bumblebee and the battery life is much, much better than backside. And it shouldnt have to do with the kernel but with this specific phone.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok I consider my optimus lazy because my other optimus with bad esn can go up to 864 completely stable. It clearly showed on one of mmarz's graphs that 806 was the most efficient and used the least amount of power to complete tasks. The slower speeds used the most power.

Now back to topic. All I said was that backside rom had bad battery life compared to bumblebee. I used the same settings and apps for both. Could be gingerbreads features? Or could be that bumblebee has many more tweaks and mods which give better battery life? Only JerryScript and obijohn would know.

And there is people here telling you that you are clocking WAY to high on the minimum side.
Here is mmarz final conclusion. I tend to think you read the first page and stopped.

I've been busy with a few other projects (my CNC mill blew up yesterday), otherwise I've finished my last round of tests. I need to write it up and I'll post it within a few days.

Topics I will cover:
How your Kernel effects battery life
How your Rom effects battery life
The ultimate system settings to get the most out of your phone.

@ theboundless
I may have been a bit hasty with my conclusion that you should set the min and max CPU speed to the same value. Here are situations where this would hurt battery life:
Streaming music
Surfing the web
Talking on the phone
Or any other low CPU intensive, extended period task.

Here are situations where it will help:
Leaving the phone on idle and having occasional tasks occur (check GPS location)
Editing files
Downloading/uploading files
Or any other finite time task

By not wasting time with the lower clock speed, your system should finish these types of tasks using less energy than if your system had attempted a lower less efficient clock speed first. If you are just concerned about standby battery life, setting both the min/max to the highest stable clock speed will help.

Try this, flash nothing but a rom and setcpu. Set the min/max to the same high value. Test how long the phone lasts. Now set the min low and the max to 600. You'll probably notice a decrease in battery life.

You talk about trying different kernels and roms to get better battery life. Here is a little spoiler on what I will post in my last set of tests. Your rom/kernel have little to no effect on your battery life. No matter what you have flashed, you can manually change your settings/uninstall apps and get the best battery life out of your phone. If you suffer poor battery life on the Optimus V (less than 24 hours), it is because of one of the following:
You are a heavy user of your phone
You have installed applications battery hungry applications
You have flashed a rom/kernel that has a bug

If your rom/kernel has no bugs, you should get over two days of standby time with minimal use.
This was pre IHO 2.3.4/5 and there has been some significate changes to the kernel and overall how the rom works.

You want awesome battery with a awesome rom. Take the advise given and instead of being hard-headed and thinking shutting everything down and ramping the cpu to max is super duper awesome.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Bumblebee and Harmonia will always have better battery life than any CM7 ROM (though I would love to be proven wrong). CM7 has too many goodies built in that prevent it from being a battery sipper.

Keeping your min cpu speed the same as your max is not an effective way of saving battery life. There may be some scenario in which it would, but not for the average to extreme usage of most cell phone users.

There is evidence that keeping your max/min too low is not a good idea, however the evidence does not prove that any particular values are best.

I ran on aospCMod for months, and now on IHO for close to a month, with 480/768. I have no FCs due to being overclocked too high, and all apps and system animations run smoothly. With moderate usage, which I define as ~20 texts ~5-10 short calls, checking emails every half hour, running 8 widgets with background services, a half hour or more of games, a few short videos, and having wifi off when screen is off plus wifi off away from home, I get over a days use on a single charge.

Remember, all those test where done under very specific conditions, and it's unlikely as good as mmarz is that conditions were always exactly the same. Your usage is different from mine, so your best bet is to find the ROM and CPU settings that work best for you. Also, you cannot tell the battery life of a ROM until you have gone through a charge discharge cycle at least once. The battery stats are stale till then, and your new ROM has various features that require more CPU usage on the first boot than on subsequent boots. Then there's the testing you do on the first day, re-installing apps, all kinds of things make the first day's usage irrelevant.

806-806 are the same speeds that I use on bumblebee and the battery life is much, much better than backside. And it shouldnt have to do with the kernel but with this specific phone.

It has everything to do with the kernel and the ROM.

israelsalinas14

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for posting that. I already knew that streaming can hurt when you keep both speeds the same. But since a phone is meant to be mostly on standby you should get better results. I used 806-787 for both backside and bumblebee, bumblebee had much better battery life and im currently using it. Im not saying backside is a bad rom, I thought it was great and I even said to myself I would keep it. Im just saying so others who are interested in its battery life can know.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I get better battery life with the xionia redux kernel, the smart ass setting works great, you just have to do a key swap so your buttons are the same

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for posting that. I already knew that streaming can hurt when you keep both speeds the same. But since a phone is meant to be mostly on standby you should get better results. I used 806-787 for both backside and bumblebee, bumblebee had much better battery life and im currently using it. Im not saying backside is a bad rom, I thought it was great and I even said to myself I would keep it. Im just saying so others who are interested in its battery life can know.

A lower min on standby will give you better battery life as the CPU will be going with less speed therefore using less power. It will also increase the longitivtiy of your CPU.

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908