[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
A lower min on standby will give you better battery life as the CPU will be going with less speed therefore using less power. It will also increase the longitivtiy of your CPU.

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

It's not as simple as that. There are no moving components like a mechanical device, the longevity isn't affected by the clock speed. It has more to do with thermal cycles (warming up under stress & cooling down when idle), but even then it'll outlast a phone's typical lifespan (let's say 3 yrs).

Dynamic frequency scaling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The OV doesn't have undervolting, so lower min frequency doesn't help as much. 806 Mhz is too high, 122 is too low. Somewhere in between is the sweet spot.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not as simple as that. There are no moving components like a mechanical device, the longevity isn't affected by the clock speed. It has more to do with thermal cycles (warming up under stress & cooling down when idle), but even then it'll outlast a phone's typical lifespan (let's say 3 yrs).

Dynamic frequency scaling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The OV doesn't have undervolting, so lower min frequency doesn't help as much. 806 Mhz is too high, 122 is too low. Somewhere in between is the sweet spot.

The heat from pumping the cpu full blast 24/7 doesn't only affect the cpu itself but the other components as well. Affecting the overall life of the phone.

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
AT&T and Virgin MMS do not play well together, doesn't matter which phone.

It must be AT&T that is the problem, because when I was building for the Ascend with MetroPCS service...people also stated that iPhones would not receive there MMS.

Does anyone know someone that has an iPhone with Verizon? I'd like to check and see if MMS work with Verizon iPhone...if it does then we know that it's truly an AT&T issue.

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It must be AT&T that is the problem, because when I was building for the Ascend with MetroPCS service...people also stated that iPhones would not receive there MMS.

Does anyone know someone that has an iPhone with Verizon? I'd like to check and see if MMS work with Verizon iPhone...if it does then we know that it's truly an AT&T issue.

My cousin is next to me with his verizon iphone, we just did a back and forth test, it works.

gbeaguilar

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal to get much better battery life with mrg666's pure IHO version? Yesterday I was running the latest of that all day and experienced the best battery life I have ever gotten on this phone (including with froyo roms). I also had everything-wifi, data, gps, sync- on. Today I switched over to JerryScript's version, and I had noticeably lower battery life. It isn't terrible, but still worth noting!

Excellent rom btw :D

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have just uploaded 08102011 build of pure IHO build to wiki. Changes are here.

Blarf pushed r1.2 kernel with WiFi tweaks. WiFi seems to be a little better on my phone. Please test and post your feedback.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal to get much better battery life with mrg666's pure IHO version? Yesterday I was running the latest of that all day and experienced the best battery life I have ever gotten on this phone (including with froyo roms). I also had everything-wifi, data, gps, sync- on. Today I switched over to JerryScript's version, and I had noticeably lower battery life. It isn't terrible, but still worth noting!

Excellent rom btw :D

I don't think there can be much (if any) difference. There simply might be a difference of signal quality in the two days you have tested or there could be a runaway background app eating your battery. Culprit could very well be the GPS left on the next day. :)

Reactions: gbeaguilar

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
i checked and i have a belkin router. (having wifi dropping and connecting problems) do u think this is really the reason? and if so why does it drop on this rom but not asop

Different kernel and wifi tweaks. Blarf has comitted a couple more tweaks, please see if the next builds help with your wifi issue. I will be posting the latest BACKside build in a little while, testing now. ;)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok I consider my optimus lazy because my other optimus with bad esn can go up to 864 completely stable. It clearly showed on one of mmarz's graphs that 806 was the most efficient and used the least amount of power to complete tasks. The slower speeds used the most power. I think its actually comon sense, faster speeds-less time to finish tasks-more battery savings. Thats my opinion though.

Now back to topic. All I said was that backside rom had bad battery life compared to bumblebee. I used the same settings and apps for both. Could be gingerbreads features? Or could be that bumblebee has many more tweaks and mods which give better battery life? Only JerryScript and obijohn would know.
It's not common sense because it's simply not that simple.

Getting it done faster CAN use less power, but not always, also too high and while you may not crash, you can still be having errors slowing you down.

As for only them knowing, no.
It's not hard to look at what tweaks have been done in most cases, usually it's only a few config scripts. Bumblebee and Harmonia are both based on a stock kernel working off Stock + Xionia. Harmonia went a bit deeper and actually had drivers changed out from different versions and different phones. It's a real mutt, but a mutt that works.

As for GB, we don't have access to GB drivers for our phone, the community has had to make them. So they are not as efficient. Then there is all the extra code CM put in. Bumblebee took a stripped, efficient system and made it more efficient for speed reasons. CM is about features, not so much about speed. Harmonia stripped it for efficiency.

A lower min on standby will give you better battery life as the CPU will be going with less speed therefore using less power. It will also increase the longitivtiy of your CPU.
And this is why it's not so simple.

Standby isn't just standby.
Things happen in the background and if you are too low, you just sent the cpu skyrocketing. Now, yes, it gets the job done faster, IF it's a single process. How about a weather checking app,. it starts up, send out a request for the temp, then goes idle. problem is, yes, it may skyrocket while checking, but what about while waiting for that return information? It can sit at just enough to go over your minimum and therefore peg your cpu at 100% while doing almost nothing. This is just one example and while small, imagine this happening over and over again.

The same applies to the high and lows for radio streaming, too low and your cpu pegs, too high and your cpu is being wasteful. You are actually better to err on the high side, but being high isn't good either.

Also, worry less about the cpu life and worry more about your battery.
Heat kills batteries. Too high of an overclock creates heat, thereby killing your battery faster in terms of battery life and in the life expectancy of the battery, and this will come into play sooner than the cpu failing most likely. Don't think it;s hot? try a high overclock and then hit the GPS with mapping and see what happens.

806-806 are the same speeds that I use on bumblebee and the battery life is much, much better than backside. And it shouldn't have to do with the kernel but with this specific phone.
Be careful using what you know about Bumblebee on this rom. They are quite different animals in many regards, but not all.

It can be the kernel, as well as the heavy CM interface tweaks and the drivers, which I discussed earlier. CM is not all Google code and not all Device manufacturer code, so there is likely inefficiencies all over since we may not have all of the proper API's.

moonknightus

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have just uploaded 08102011 build of pure IHO build to wiki. Changes are here.

Blarf pushed r1.2 kernel with WiFi tweaks. WiFi seems to be a little better on my phone. Please test and post your feedback.

This does not fix the random WiFi disconnects that I have been experiencing. So far, the only build that reliably addresses this is Bob's last build with the ip_renew service enabled in init.thunderc.rc. Sorry to beat a dead horse, so to speak.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
New build of BACKside-IHO is ready. Several changes to try out:
-Sound always playing through the speaker regardless of settings has been fixed
-BobZ's wifi fix included and another small tweak (if this build fixes issues, wifi bug should be fixable)
-Updated to Blarf's newest kernel r1.2, tweaks for battery and performance
-Camera exposure mostly fixed, default value may still be too dark
-Removed bootsound for now due to overwhelming requests ;) , but you can enable it using eollie's script.

BACKside-IHO-VM670-08102011.zip

This does not fix the random WiFi disconnects that I have been experiencing. So far, the only build that reliably addresses this is Bob's last build with the ip_renew service enabled in init.thunderc.rc. Sorry to beat a dead horse, so to speak.
I realize you've probably done a lot of flashing recently, but could you try this build? It has BobZ's ip_renew patch and not the other wifi patch I tried in the last build. If it works for you and others, we'll submit a pull request for Blarf to add it.

Last edited:

tsunade2k4

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
This might have been asked before, but I didn't see anything searching, so does anyone else have issues with their wired headset's button not working? I tried the stock headset and one off a palm pre.

cr42ydude

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
-BobZ's wifi fix included and another small tweak (if this build fixes issues, wifi bug should be fixable)
-Fingerprint updated to fix market issues
-Removed bootsound for now due to overwhelming requests ;) , but you can enable it using eollie's script.

I realize you've probably done a lot of flashing recently, but could you try this build? It has BobZ's ip_renew patch and not the other wifi patch I tried in the last build. If it works for you and others, we'll submit a pull request for Blarf to add it.

thank you for putting much time in for what we call phones.

moonknightus

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The flashing doesn't bother me.

Testing now, but I'm curious as to why this build is ~20 MB smaller than previous ones?

EDIT: All seems good. Going on 25 minutes with no problems.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc