[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
New build of BACKside-IHO is ready. Several changes to try out:
-Sound always playing through the speaker regardless of settings has been fixed
-BobZ's wifi fix included and another small tweak (if this build fixes issues, wifi bug should be fixable)
-Updated to Blarf's newest kernel r1.2, tweaks for battery and performance
-Camera exposure mostly fixed, default value may still be too dark
-Removed bootsound for now due to overwhelming requests ;) , but you can enable it using eollie's script.

BACKside-IHO-VM670-08102011.zip

I realize you've probably done a lot of flashing recently, but could you try this build? It has BobZ's ip_renew patch and not the other wifi patch I tried in the last build. If it works for you and others, we'll submit a pull request for Blarf to add it.

Awesome Rom.

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
As for GB, we don't have access to GB drivers for our phone, the community has had to make them. So they are not as efficient. Then there is all the extra code CM put in. Bumblebee took a stripped, efficient system and made it more efficient for speed reasons. CM is about features, not so much about speed. Harmonia stripped it for efficiency.

Since LG released official Gingerbread for Optimus P500 (GSM radio) & source code, would that help us? Although I've heard some say LG really did a crappy job with their GB update compared to Froyo.

Open Source Detail

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Following up from my previous post for 08102011 build, I have updated the build to include the fix for sound output which I narrowly missed yesterday night. Also, the builds are ~9MB smaller now since I have switched to a smaller language set. Blarf, this should not interfere with testing your changes but please let me know otherwise.

Reactions: mustafu

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This current backside build has been great so far, the new kernel seems to make a difference on battery, and my phone is running faster than the pure iho. Nice progress!

Reactions: JerryScript

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
-Removed bootsound for now due to overwhelming requests ;) , but you can enable it using eollie's script.

Wouldnt it be easier to keep the script but remove the bootsound mp3?
This is actually something part of most stock roms. We have it sorta in the stock rom with the virgin mobile bit. I know many people complained because the sound IS really loud. Im working on cleaning it up and I could also de-amplify it somewhat. If people like the sound but its too loud give me a idea of how loud is TOO loud. Jerry Ill be posting a couple sound to my dropbox later one with just the cleaned up and a de-amplified version. Ill pm you with the links. Also anybody that complained it was too loud pm if you would like to test to see if it is still too loud.

Also if you have a sound you want but dont know how to create it PM me. I can pretty much get anything and tweak it using the editing software.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Does GrooVe IP work in any of these builds yet? I really want to switch from AOSP, but I rely on GrooVe IP when I travel

Groove IP works for me, wifi is completely clear. 3G sometimes gets a bit stutter, but that may just be due to VM's 3G network not as good where I am. Also GB's built-in VoiP also works pretty well on this ROM.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
As for only them knowing, no.

In the case of this ROM, it's most likely I'll know. But, yeah, unlike the old aospCMod kernels the source is available. And, no, it's not a stock kernel (I really ought to change that description). Lots of little bug fixes, tweaks, and a hacked up USB driver. I try to keep the commits as straightforward as possible (so that / as is evidenced by Drew ganking a bunch of the changes for XioniaRedux).

As for GB, we don't have access to GB drivers for our phone, the community has had to make them. So they are not as efficient. Then there is all the extra code CM put in. Bumblebee took a stripped, efficient system and made it more efficient for speed reasons. CM is about features, not so much about speed. Harmonia stripped it for efficiency.

The P500 kernel is available, but there weren't a whole lot of changes as the kernel drivers are quite mature. LG's kinda off on their own world. What is missing is the source to the binary Froyo blobs. In most cases CM's got shims in place and they work fine, without any noticeable performance degradation. The reason /I/ want the source to some of these things is to add features that LG purposefully left out. In any case, I get pretty damn good idle battery usage (GPS aside I regularly see about 1% per hour) so I'd be surprised if CM's bloat is dragging battery life down. OTOH I have made some adjustments to make the process scheduler much more aggressive which can drag battery life down.

And this is why it's not so simple.

At a higher level it's actually not too complicated. I left ondemand as the default because it does a very good job of ramping up the CPU speed as needed, and bringing it back down quickly. With live wallpaper running I see the lowest CPU speeds with the ondemand governor. The version of smartass that's in the IHO kernel does need to be tuned quite a bit.

As for undervolting, keep in mind that anything below 600MHz will lower the voltage from the maximum (for now). The 7627 doesn't support dynamic voltage scaling in that it won't do it on its own, but you can change the voltage programmatically. Current steps are:

19.2MHz: +0 (min)
120/122MHz: +3
200/245MHz: +4
320/400MHz: +5
480MHz: +6
600MHz: +7 (max)

So, yes, I there's a good reason why LG (and I) chose 245MHz as the default minimum CPU clock speed. It will lower power consumption. I will hide 122MHz from the CM interface because that simply is too slow to be useful (and you will have delays unlocking your phone and some missed phone calls).

Likewise instead of setting the min/max CPU clock speeds to the same value use the performance (max) or powersave (min) governors which will do the same thing but avoid the overhead of trying to determine when to adjust the CPU clock speed.

For all of this talk, I will ignore complaints about battery usage when you've used the kernel for less than a day, and I will ignore it unless you're talking about usage from a fully charged battery. When your display shows 100%, that is not fully charged. Go into the about phone prefs and you'll see it'll charge for a bit after it hits 100%.

That said, I'd encourage people to do three things instead of assuming things:

- Look at the source. It's out there.
- Conduct a /controlled/ experiment.
- Donate. Seriously. There's a rhyme and a reason to why I've chosen specific defaults, and getting there takes quite a bit of time.

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I download the latest version of this rom (BACKside-IHO-VM670-08102011.zip) which has boot sound disabled. I want to enable boot sound. How do you get eollie's script to work?

These are the instructions I'm using:

1. Place bootsnd.sh in /sdcard

2. Run terminal emulator, and execute the following:
su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

3. Use a rooted file manager and navigate to /system/bin, and verify that there is now a file called
bootsound there, and it has 777 (rwxrwxrwx) permissions. Modify the permissions to 777 if
needed.

4. Place your desired sound file, renaming it android_audio.mp3, in /system/media

5. reboot

I did this but it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I download the latest version of this rom (BACKside-IHO-VM670-08102011.zip) which has boot sound disabled. I want to enable boot sound. How do you get eollie's script to work?

These are the instructions I'm using:

1. Place bootsnd.sh in /sdcard

2. Run terminal emulator, and execute the following:
su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

3. Use a rooted file manager and navigate to /system/bin, and verify that there is now a file called
bootsound there, and it has 777 (rwxrwxrwx) permissions. Modify the permissions to 777 if
needed.

4. Place your desired sound file, renaming it android_audio.mp3, in /system/media

5. reboot

I did this but it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?
make sure when you rename the file to audio.mp3 you leave out .mp3. The file should already be a .mp3.

Also in your build.prop look at the very last lines.
This should only be there once.
Code:
ro.config.play.bootsound=1
If it is delete all but one instance of it.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
At a higher level it's actually not too complicated. I left ondemand as the default because it does a very good job of ramping up the CPU speed as needed, and bringing it back down quickly. With live wallpaper running I see the lowest CPU speeds with the ondemand governor. The version of smartass that's in the IHO kernel does need to be tuned quite a bit.

As for undervolting, keep in mind that anything below 600MHz will lower the voltage from the maximum (for now). The 7627 doesn't support dynamic voltage scaling in that it won't do it on its own, but you can change the voltage programmatically. Current steps are:

19.2MHz: +0 (min)
120/122MHz: +3
200/245MHz: +4
320/400MHz: +5
480MHz: +6
600MHz: +7 (max)

So, yes, I there's a good reason why LG (and I) chose 245MHz as the default minimum CPU clock speed. It will lower power consumption. I will hide 122MHz from the CM interface because that simply is too slow to be useful (and you will have delays unlocking your phone and some missed phone calls).

According to:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-k...m-2.6.37/Documentation/cpu-freq/governors.txt

"The CPUfreq governor "conservative", much like the "ondemand"
governor, sets the CPU depending on the current usage. It differs in
behaviour in that it gracefully increases and decreases the CPU speed
rather than jumping to max speed the moment there is any load on the
CPU. This behaviour more suitable in a battery powered environment.
The governor is tweaked in the same manner as the "ondemand" governor
through sysfs with the addition of:

freq_step: this describes what percentage steps the cpu freq should be
increased and decreased smoothly by. By default the cpu frequency will
increase in 5% chunks of your maximum cpu frequency. You can change this
value to anywhere between 0 and 100 where '0' will effectively lock your
CPU at a speed regardless of its load whilst '100' will, in theory, make
it behave identically to the "ondemand" governor.

down_threshold: same as the 'up_threshold' found for the "ondemand"
governor but for the opposite direction. For example when set to its
default value of '20' it means that if the CPU usage needs to be below
20% between samples to have the frequency decreased."

It would seem that conservative would favor battery savings a bit more than ondemand since ondemand ramps to max CPU right away. This would especially be helpful in situations where there's only a light continuous load on the CPU like background music streaming, where using ondemand would push it to max CPU, but conservative would keep it somewhere in the middle. The tradeoff would be a little more sluggish response. But maybe some people prefer that if they really want their phones to last the longest.

Also since the OV has dynamic voltage it seems, and that having min freq at 245 does have some benefits (lower power & heat). Couldn't there be a way to just shift all the voltages slightly lower, running undervolt. It may not work for everyone's hardware, but it would be an interesting option to have to conserve battery on those with chips that are able to handle the lower voltage (opposite of overclocking). So something that looks like:

120/122MHz: +2
200/245MHz: +3
320/400MHz: +4
480MHz: +5
600MHz: +6
800+MHz: +7 (max)

Last edited:

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Also since the OV has dynamic voltage it seems, and that having min freq at 245 does have some benefits (lower power & heat). Couldn't there be a way to just shift all the voltages slightly lower, running undervolt. It may not work for everyone's hardware, but it would be an interesting option to have to conserve battery on those with chips that are able to handle the lower voltage (opposite of overclocking)

The conservative governor is already included. If someone wants that much potential extra battery life, it's just a few taps away. As for undervolting, probably not. Overclocked speeds need the voltage to maintain stability. I might adjust where the boundaries are for some of the slower speeds, but we'll see. There are, IMO, bigger fish to fry for now.

As always (since I can't put this in my sig): feel free to donate. :)

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The conservative governor is already included. If someone wants that much potential extra battery life, it's just a few taps away. As for undervolting, probably not. Overclocked speeds need the voltage to maintain stability. I might adjust where the boundaries are for some of the slower speeds, but we'll see. There are, IMO, bigger fish to fry for now.

As always (since I can't put this in my sig): feel free to donate. :)

Just donated, it's not much, consider it beer money :)

BTW, I'm now running 245-480 conservative governor given the info you posted earlier, it's still smooth enough for me, will see if the battery gets even better.