[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If I were to considering upgrading I have to keep in mind that annoying security center with it's alerts about more updates that won't fit on my hard drive and not having antivirus installed (and there's no way the system could run any a/v software from this millennium).

That's why I hate windows. It's nothing but security alert popups for just about anything. Any other system I know, everything just runs in the background.

I guess I can either continue using wireless tethering or switch to pdanet. I can blame the issue on bad USB support.

Double click on security center, and "change the way security center alerts me". You can stop those prompts. Also, if you go into admin settings/services you can disable security center entirely, as well as auto update services.

Avast AV is pretty light weight, but considering this box's use, put Winpatrol (winpatrol.com) on and call it good. It will force any auto start programs to ask permission before being allowed to auto start. It's a good first line of defense.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Double click on security center, and "change the way security center alerts me". You can stop those prompts. Also, if you go into admin settings/services you can disable security center entirely, as well as auto update services.

Avast AV is pretty light weight, but considering this box's use, put Winpatrol (winpatrol.com) on and call it good. It will force any auto start programs to ask permission before being allowed to auto start. It's a good first line of defense.

I never thought of disabling security center. That sounds like a better idea.

I would almost never would install antivirus. Keep in mind the specs are technically worse than the Optimus. Although a virus would be very bad. I don't think my windows install disc works anymore so I couldn't reinstall the OS if a virus destroys it.

Besides, the laptop is falling apart. The CD drive is broken, there's static lines on the screen, and the laptop pci card slots don't always work. I either need to replace it soon or fix my Sony vaio laptop.

I just need a laptop for remote access and typing (Swype still isn't fast enough) If I ever start making cm7 builds it would be compiled by remote.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Besides, the laptop is falling apart. The CD drive is broken, there's static lines on the screen, and the laptop pci card slots don't always work. I either need to replace it soon or fix my Sony vaio laptop.

I just need a laptop for remote access and typing (Swype still isn't fast enough) If I ever start making cm7 builds it would be compiled by remote.

Sounds like it's about done.
Some Sony's aren't cheap to fix, some are. Ebay is your friend, though.

Also, look around at computer shops, they often have used systems for sale for cheap. Laptop or desktops, even yard sales or Craigslist. If you know anyone who fixes computers, ask them too, like me, they often have a junk pile of them that they will sell cheap or even be happy to give away since it is getting harder and harder to dispose of them cheaply. Same with some computer stores. You can EASILY get something for under $100 that can run Linux.

You guys would laugh at the setup I'm using to build with. It works well, but is overly complicated.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's about done.
Some Sony's aren't cheap to fix, some are. Ebay is your friend, though.

Also, look around at computer shops, they often have used systems for sale for cheap. Laptop or desktops, even yard sales or Craigslist. If you know anyone who fixes computers, ask them too, like me, they often have a junk pile of them that they will sell cheap or even be happy to give away since it is getting harder and harder to dispose of them cheaply. Same with some computer stores. You can EASILY get something for under $100 that can run Linux.

You guys would laugh at the setup I'm using to build with. It works well, but is overly complicated.

+1!
I wouldn't laugh. you said somewhere you're using 64-bit to build... i'm still using 32 bit hw. the codeaurora and cyanogen build systems need patched to use 32 bit, but aosp gingerbread built on 32 bit fresh-out-of-the-box.
I haven't pulled any 64-bit machines off the curb yet. in the last 20 years I've paid maybe 400$ for hardware and 2 of those machines burned out fast. here in the central usa, fools throw away perfectly good (older) computers all the time. I've run linux (and m$winXP too) on a 100MHz pentium 1 with 64MB RAM. it doesn't take much (but I imagine compiling would be pathetically slow on something like that.)

point is, older hardware is cheap or even free if you keep your eyes open.

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I need to partition the SD Card to use BobZ's build. This is what I am going to do, correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Backup everything I want to be backed up, and copy it to my computer.
2. Reboot recovery, and partition the SD card (maybe a 100 mb partition?)
3. Restart the phone and put my ROM and GApps files on the SD Card
4. Wipe it (data, boot, cache, dalvik, system)
5. Flash the ROM, then the GApps
6. Boot up
7. Put all of my backed up stuff back on my SD Card
8. Restore

Sound about right? Sorry, I'm new to partitions and what-not, and its been quite a long time since I flashed a ROM!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I need to partition the SD Card to use BobZ's build. This is what I am going to do, correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Backup everything I want to be backed up, and copy it to my computer.
2. Reboot recovery, and partition the SD card (maybe a 100 mb partition?)
3. Restart the phone and put my ROM and GApps files on the SD Card
4. Wipe it (data, boot, cache, dalvik, system)
5. Flash the ROM, then the GApps
6. Boot up
7. Put all of my backed up stuff back on my SD Card
8. Restore

Sound about right? Sorry, I'm new to partitions and what-not, and its been quite a long time since I flashed a ROM!
looks right.
you could mount usb storage in recovery instead of rebooting the phone and move your ROM and gapps that way, then finish up like you said. at the time you move over the rom and gapps you could also restore your backed up stuff to sd.

doggscube

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've searched and searched, is there an easy way to silence or remove the bootsound?

I don't really know how to mount the system directory to edit/delete files. Please help me out.

Never mind, successfully did the following using root explorer:

--------------------------------------------
To start go to

/system/etc/unit.local.rc

and open it in the text editor. Delete everything from

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Start###

to

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Stop###

Delete any instances of it.

Next go to /system/bin/ and delete the file bootsound.

Now go to /system/build.prop and open it in the text editor. Scroll all the way to the bottom and delete any instance of

ro.config.play.bootsound=1.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I've searched and searched, is there an easy way to silence or remove the bootsound?

I don't really know how to mount the system directory to edit/delete files. Please help me out.

Is there a bootsound? I've never heard one on my OP V.

sent from my FlashBack 7.2 Gtablet using Tapatalk

fototogo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jerry and LeslieAnn: Thanks for making our phones better and also more fun. Jerry on your latest release i can not delete the audio that is on bootup....I tried using Astro file manager and also with another app...I wanted to swap it out or over write it or just edit it in a text editor to have 0 bytes with no luck.

LeslieAnn...I like your build and look very much and in limited testing this is what i have found so far....

Love your large battery indicator but the contrast betwwen the green color and the battey % number make it hard to read....and during charging i don't know by just looking at it how charged the phone is....also...the stock e mail pop 3 program fc's all the time on me....I have deleted it, reinstalled it as app only and then tried with app + data and it always fc's..... everything else I have tried works well from a clean install. I'm not going to do another clean install of the os to see if it repeats the problem, I installed maildroid which is working fine....

Also....to the best of my knowledge, all recent builds of CM7 that I have tried (including all IHO from July-) do not work with the standard toggle switch that comes with some wired headsets with mike. On stock OV's it toggles between call waiting, pauses or starts playing audio or mutes. I have a new earbud headset I can donate and mail to one of you if it would help or if you would like. Thanks again for all your time and effort....Two thumbs up :cool:!!

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
To delete/change/rename files that are write protected, download ES File Explorer, run it, press menu, and under settings scroll down and check both boxes under Root settings. You can then change the /system/media/andriod_audio.mp3 file to whatever you like. ;)

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on IHO-08092011-VM670... bootsound has never played. I didn't have one with Leslie's Harmonia 1.3 or 1.3.1 either. Read about people having to turn them off or what have you, but i never had one. The only time i can think of that i had one was with the stock ROM. Also, i'm having issues with SMS acting up... not downloading pics. May be an issue with where i'm at and 3g reception.

*edit* Flashed the latest... love the boot sound (lol). I should be on 0824 now.

sent from my FlashBack 7.2 Gtablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on IHO-08092011-VM670... bootsound has never played. I didn't have one with Leslie's Harmonia 1.3 or 1.3.1 either. Read about people having to turn them off or what have you, but i never had one. The only time i can think of that i had one was with the stock ROM.

Bootsound is only enabled on Jerry's latest build of IHO. To get it to run on an earlier build you need to run a script file. Search the forum for a thread named Bootsound. It will have script and instructions for enabling bootsound.

Last edited:

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
also...the stock e mail pop 3 program fc's all the time on me....I have deleted it, reinstalled it as app only and then tried with app + data and it always fc's.....

Look a few pages back for a zip file with stock email app that you download and flash to the phone. It will fix the broken stock email app.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have synced with CM repo and checked the Camera and Email bugs today. Camera bug was fixed. Camera is now working in video and photo modes as it should. However, Email app was still crashing. I have replaced the Email app with the functional copy from last week and uploaded the 08242011 build to Wiki to eliminate the need for Email patch requirement. There are no significant changes, you don't need to update your ROM if you are happy with your current build.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
+1!
I wouldn't laugh. you said somewhere you're using 64-bit to build... i'm still using 32 bit hw. the codeaurora and cyanogen build systems need patched to use 32 bit, but aosp gingerbread built on 32 bit fresh-out-of-the-box.
I haven't pulled any 64-bit machines off the curb yet. in the last 20 years I've paid maybe 400$ for hardware and 2 of those machines burned out fast. here in the central usa, fools throw away perfectly good (older) computers all the time. I've run linux (and m$winXP too) on a 100MHz pentium 1 with 64MB RAM. it doesn't take much (but I imagine compiling would be pathetically slow on something like that.)

point is, older hardware is cheap or even free if you keep your eyes open.
There is a reason they throw it away... It's not feasible to have repaired.
For me to come to your house and fix something significant, chances are it will run about $100 for labor alone. If you need a hard drive and a re-install of Windows as well, well then you would be looking at anywhere from $200 to $300 depending on the drive and if you have a working copy of Windows. Would you dump $300 into a 4 or 5 year old desktop? Heck no! You go to the local store and buy a new one for $350 that screams compared to your dinosaur (or a used, but newer one than you have).

Instead, they go buy a computer and pay me to come transfer the old info over. In the end, they pay a bit more, but they get a new computer as opposed to throwing money at a dog. I often take the old ones as a form of charity, if it's worth doing so. I rebuild them in my spare time and sell them at cost to people who can't afford a new one. A slow computer is better than no computer, though a P100 will be way too slow for a build box, that first build could take 24 hours or more on something like that.

Anyhow, because of this, I see a lot of spare hardware. At this point if it's not at least a P4 or 64bit AMD, I won't even take them anymore. Same goes for crt monitors. The memory on those old systems is getting expensive and no one wants crt monitors.

After a few other ideas, I installed VirtualBox with 32bit Unbuntu on my file server which is headless (no monitor), I control everything through remote management systems. Once I had it all setup and it was on my normal network as if it was a normal computer, I shared the directory for the build and enabled the SSH server (SSH allows you to run terminal commands remotely). In the end, it's like working straight from my main computer, Putty (SSH program) simulates Terminal and the mapped/shared drive acts like it's on my computer, however the work is being done on the virtual system on my file server.

This isn't without some downsides though, VirtualBox doesn't run as fast a as a normal computer, especially on my file server which was built mostly for storage and low power (25 watts or so depending on load), but it works, doesn't add another computer and costs me nothing extra. Best of all, I can work from my main desktop but not use it's resources.

Edit:
First build took 3 (!) hours, second took 8 minutes, so I think I will be sticking with this. I may add more memory though, see if that speeds it up. :p

LeslieAnn...I like your build and look very much and in limited testing this is what i have found so far....

Love your large battery indicator but the contrast betwwen the green color and the battey % number make it hard to read....and during charging i don't know by just looking at it how charged the phone is....also...the stock e mail pop 3 program fc's all the time on me....I have deleted it, reinstalled it as app only and then tried with app + data and it always fc's..... everything else I have tried works well from a clean install. I'm not going to do another clean install of the os to see if it repeats the problem, I installed maildroid which is working fine....

{cut}
I have a new earbud headset I can donate and mail to one of you if it would help or if you would like. Thanks again for all your time and effort....Two thumbs up :cool:!!

The color changes depending on charge, green means you have something like 70% or more, then it starts to change to other colors, so really, the percentage isn't as important as long as it's green. I agree, it's not a greet color, but like I said, it changes as it dwindles down.

The email is a known issue, it just needs to be changed with another version a few pages back. I'll probably have a corrected version up soon.

Donations should be sent to Blarfie as he does the heavy lifting on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: fototogo

EmuZombie

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
August 24th build of IHO-Purity is out.

Changelog:

-Sync'd with CM7.1
-Added build string to identify rom. See Settings | About Phone | Build Number
-Fixed camera issues.
-Email.apk replaced with version from previous build that does not FC.

Download MD5: 288ff142c9025d5a1fbd27b5b6ef3613

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
August 24th build of IHO-Purity is out.

Changelog:

-Sync'd with CM7.1
-Added build string to identify rom. See Settings | About Phone | Build Number
-Fixed camera issues.
-Email.apk replaced with version from previous build that does not FC.

Download MD5: 288ff142c9025d5a1fbd27b5b6ef3613

And now you see why we all end up not posting Pure builds. ;)

Reactions: BobZhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy