[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

wd5gnr

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am stuck two versions back on BobZ's excellent ROM. The last two times I've flashed I can't get /sd-ext mounted. I looked at it more detail today.

I booted into recovery and mounted an adb shell. /dev/block showed the expected /dev/block/mmcblk0p? partitions (e.g., 1, 2, and 3 -- I have swap on 3 even though apparently the kernel isn't built for swap I didn't know that when I partitioned).

parted sees the partitions and e2fsck checks the partition ok.

But any attempt to mount sd-ext gives me a device does not exist message. It is there, it is clean, but it won't mount (using -t auto or -t ext3).

Since I knew from last time that restoring the backup would work, I restored just sd-ext, but that didn't change anything. Restoring from backup put it all to rights.

So the question is: can anyone get the new kernel to mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 with an ext3 file system? Or is it just me?

I have a2sd with a dalvik cache too big to fit on the phone, so having no sd-ext effectively bricks me until I repair it.

Update: On reflection, I have a feeling the problem is that I was in recovery. It is hard to do anything when not in recovery because the cache is always in use. Hmmm. So can CWM not mount ext3 maybe? That still doesn't fix my main problem which is that when I flash to a new version and wipe the dalvik I lose a2sd.

Update #2: Not clearing the Davlik seemed to do the trick. Doing a logcat during boot shows that DexOpt is rebuilding the cache so I guess it is smart enough to figure it out. Maybe I should be using a different recovery?

Update #3: Ok switching from CWM to RA recovery did the trick as far as why I could not mount sd-ext. We'll see how the next upgrade goes.

BobZ Thanks for making these phones more useful!

OK one more edit in case anyone is lurking and reading: I think the culprit is /system/etc/init.d/01mvdalvik

It does a bind mount to put /cache/dalvik-cache on top of /data/dalvik-cache and this upsets a2sd. So I'm not sure if this is a recent addition or if I just somehow got lucky before this. My solution was:

chmod 640 /system/etc/init.d/01mvdalvik
<reboot>
a2sd repair

Then off we go...

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Since you want to lecture on how to write instructions, let me give you instructions as to how to get help here.

-1- Be polite, and mindful of the fact we do this to help
-2- Learn to use the forum properly, ie asking questions about how to properly root your phone in a thread related to that issue, not in a thread related to an entire set of ROMs
-3- Research, as in read a bunch of threads before actually following the steps in any one
-4- Above all, be concise!

testshoot

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello Jerry,
1. I said please and thank you and mentioned my confusion regarding there being multiple stickies discussing the process.
2. I wasn't asking about how to boot my phone? I only provided historical information about what I had done before I found this forum.
3. Researching was my downfall. I searched YouTube and these forums as well as other forums. Every set of instructions varied, and even here in this one topic, there are two (at least) different instructions on what to do. When I tried to follow the set of instructions it seemed this group most preferred is when I ran into trouble.
4. It is hard to know how much detail is needed when asking for assistance, and in most cases, support people want more info vs. less.

I am guessing from what you said, that this is the wrong forum to discuss the problem with flashing aospCWMod?

Sorry

nateomach

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
so i was directed to this rom by a friend. it was epic until i got into a call. first it was awesome. then i plugged in my headphones and it sounded like the person ran 5 blocks away and was echoing. then i noticed there was an add call button so i though. sweet i can finally make conference calls. and it didnt work. then after 10 minutes my screen timed out so i pressed my lock button to turn it back on and it hung up my call. so i tested it 3 other times and every time it hung up the call. kinda sad that it has bugs.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
@nateomach: It's a known issue with a big report filed, sorry it hasn't been high priority

@sharpe351: You can use any mdpi ADW theme, you can find them in the market, and in forums. You can also use UOT Kitchen to create your own.

Reactions: sharpe351

nateomach

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
@jerry: i know its not a big priority and thats why im not worried about it. im just going to wait. but thank you for the feed back it is well appreciated

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The forum doesn't support changing a title after it's posted, and only the original poster may change the contents of the original post, and since mmarz is not active here anymore, his guide is outdated. Complain to the moderators of this forum to allow changing titles & unsticky threads that are out of date.

Reactions: testshoot

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Google Swype Beta, go to the site, sign up, download the apk per their instructions, launch it, install, go to settings>>keyboards check swype.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
New buid up, lots of changes over the weekend, should only need to wipe cache/dalvik

-- Changed wifi supplicant scan interval to 60 to save battery, if it gives you issues, you can change in in the build.prop file
-- Changed to BobZhome's kernel, lots of tweaks, all screen should work now
-- Edited build.prop to reflect changes in OV2.2.2 and OS-ZVH versions
-- Added supercharger settings and other tweaks to build.prop
-- Center clock in status bar, thanks to Drew
-- Removed trackball settings, never could find it on my phone
-- Added extra camera button settings
-- Added Build ID to Device info menu, with a thanks to Blarf (find it)

I recomend flashing gapps after flashing my builds, it's usually necessary due to my build/sign process.

Do not use previous Green Machine Theme's with this build, I'll have a new theme version up by the end of the day, so long as UOT Kitchen is back up. ;)

BACKside-IHO-VM670-09192011-signed.zip

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The forum doesn't support changing a title after it's posted, and only the original poster may change the contents of the original post, and since mmarz is not active here anymore, his guide is outdated. Complain to the moderators of this forum to allow changing titles & unsticky threads that are out of date.

God I wish it was that easy. :D

We still have unsupported roms getting dug up out of the graveyard and because the mods will not lock the thread and burn it in fire we have people asking questions about said rom.

If you see my post in one of those threads like and thank the post if I start getting tons of likes and thanks hopefully the mods will wonder why and look into it. They can revert them back if they so desire but hopefully it will get those threads taken out of the mix.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Still pretty new at this. I've never updated to a new version of a ROM yet. Can you flash this over the last version and keep all your apps and settings, or does it have to be setup like a fresh ROM?

Sent via VM670

Reactions: plantucha

testshoot

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Dear Sir, thanks for your hard work and putting together your guide. For me, the ROM Manager method would consistently fail. Tried a couple ways and I think I got it to work using Terminal Emulator. I ended up doing a Factory Reset and I still don't think all is well. Got it to finally boot into the IHO recovery mode and am now trying to do the backup. It seems to be stuck on the logo thing? Don't know how long to leave it on that screen before I can expect it to do something? Was thinking I would get a menu next asking me if I want to do a backup or restore, instead I got the hat with the gold circle and it is stuck there.

Thanks again!

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Jerry, you're awesome. Your build is the only IHO I've used.
I flashed todays build, and, so far so good.
It took about 15 mins to load my SD and all my apps (it was extremely lagging during that process) but afterwards, its fine.
Loving it so far.
Oh and the clock being in the middle, is a bit weird. When i receive texts, i cant read them because the clock and message content are overlapping each other in my notification bar.

Reactions: JerryScript

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power