[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I hated the bootsound personally, but that was because the first time I heard it I freaked out and thought grabbed some weird malicious fake version of this ROM and my phone is toast and ripped my battery out, lol.

Other than that, I just don't like having a bootsound and only tolerate it if it's a carrier's default. Some movie clip / silly nonsense just rubs me the wrong way. I'd say if the dev wants it, leave it in, it's super simple to get rid of.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I hated the bootsound personally, but that was because the first time I heard it I freaked out and thought grabbed some weird malicious fake version of this ROM and my phone is toast and ripped my battery out, lol.

Other than that, I just don't like having a bootsound and only tolerate it if it's a carrier's default. Some movie clip / silly nonsense just rubs me the wrong way. I'd say if the dev wants it, leave it in, it's super simple to get rid of.

hahahahahahaha

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Lol I had the same thought when I heard it but let it keep loading anyways

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
FYI- if you use the new Ring lockscreen, you can add up to four custom apps. Once you add the first one, click on the custom app button again and select add. You can have four total custom apps available on the lockscreen via rings. ;)

Thanks to fructose for pointing this out!

holy crap, you're right. thanks for pointing out the pointing out! :)

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I turned the Max down to 600 and still have the camera issue. I had an error that said "cannot connect to camera." I'll see how the reflash goes.

I had a problem with my oc when I used interactive governor. No matter the setting it would crash & reboot, especially when using camera or gallery. I switched to ondemand & I can run it at a 768-787 max, 480 min. oc now without problems. Just an idea...

danieljc1

Sith Lord
Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
JerryScript,

You could just post two versions of the ROM one with bootsound enabled and one without bootsound. Of course that may mean more work and possibly more headaches. Just a thought. I like having a bootsound myself. Although I don't reboot very often.

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The source is available, linked to in the first post of this thread. Everyone is welcome to build their own! ;)

The current state of IHO doesn't match up with the configuration the devs at CM perfer, so the changes are not being pushed upstream at this point. It would take a few full days of work to get it all packaged up like CM wants it, then someone would have to take responsibility for the port.

As far as having to maintain things at upstream goes, aren't people maintaining it as a fork already? I thought that maintaining a fork was more work than pushing stuff to upstream. Is there anything that makes having a permanent fork more desirable?

By the way, I just found your guide:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...04423-building-your-own-read-only-memory.html

I am confused to no end why everyone is referring to firmware on RW storage as being ROM.

I checked into enabling swap and compcache, but according to what I've read, it's really not necessary unless you have a phone worse than the Optimus V, so I don't plan on implementing it now.
Swap and Compcache - CyanogenMod Wiki

I am having out of memory issues on my LG Optimus V when playing Symphony of Eternity, which were not present with the stock firmware. I assume it is because the Cyanogenmod firmware does more, so it uses more memory. The only way to offset this is with Compcache.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The issue is with getting the commits accepted by the team at CyanogenMod. If you don't have your ducks in their definition of a row, your commit is not accepted. 90% of the changes we have made are contained in the android_device_lge fork, they would have to be moved to the vendor/cyanogen fork, and accepted upstream. And of course, device specific stuff has to be limited as much as possible. These are all things that could be done by someone with the time, knowledge, and desire, but apparently no one building so far has all three. And of course once accepted, someone has to be the keeper, which means more time and effort.

I don't think there are any advantages to keeping the fork seperate, though I do like keeping my build environment walled off from commits till I'm sure they wont bork my builds.

Using ROM as a slang term for firmware has been a part of the accepted vernacular for years now. ;)

I don't build kernels, Blarf and BobZhome do though, and you might talk one of them into building the needed modules to enable swap and compcache. ;)
Personally, I don't want swap due to performance issues, but I do understand the need under very particular circumstances such as yours.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
JerryScript,

You could just post two versions of the ROM one with bootsound enabled and one without bootsound. Of course that may mean more work and possibly more headaches. Just a thought. I like having a bootsound myself. Although I don't reboot very often.

Instead, I'll post the ROM without bootsounds, and a flashable zip file that will enable it on any CM7 build will be added to the wiki for those who want it.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh I hate bad downloads. Used one for a few days. At first it ran fine, today it FCed all over the place and the temp sensor for the battery reached 100F!!

Checked the MD5 of the file I flashed and it was wrong.

Lesson learned, check the MD5 before flashing!

Reactions: JerryScript
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The issue is with getting the commits accepted by the team at CyanogenMod. If you don't have your ducks in their definition of a row, your commit is not accepted. 90% of the changes we have made are contained in the android_device_lge fork, they would have to be moved to the vendor/cyanogen fork, and accepted upstream. And of course, device specific stuff has to be limited as much as possible. These are all things that could be done by someone with the time, knowledge, and desire, but apparently no one building so far has all three. And of course once accepted, someone has to be the keeper, which means more time and effort.

I don't think there are any advantages to keeping the fork seperate, though I do like keeping my build environment walled off from commits till I'm sure they wont bork my builds.

Using ROM as a slang term for firmware has been a part of the accepted vernacular for years now. ;)

I don't build kernels, Blarf and BobZhome do though, and you might talk one of them into building the needed modules to enable swap and compcache. ;)
Personally, I don't want swap due to performance issues, but I do understand the need under very particular circumstances such as yours.

I build my own kernels a few times a month for my computers, so building a kernel is not a problem for me. I just need their kernel sources and to make my life easy, the .config file they use. If I can get those, I could write a script which could automate this process. I might be able to extract the .config file from my phone, but unfortunately, I won't have time to do any of this until sometime next week.

As for swap, the kernel treats compcache exactly like a swap file and compcache requires a backing swap file to avoid getting itself into trouble. In principle, compcache should work by intercepting pages destined for swap, compressing them and storing them in RAM. Then if the kernel tries to swap the compressed pages, it is sent to real swap. In theory, you should be able to avoid ever having pages go to real swap if you do not use too much memory, but in practice, I am not familiar with exactly how compcache does things. The only thing I do know is that almost every system can benefit from it, with the benefit for some systems being more obvious than the benefit for others.

As for the ROM slang, as a guy with a CS degree, I do not think I will ever not find it confusing.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I build my own kernels a few times a month for my computers, so building a kernel is not a problem for me. I just need their kernel sources and to make my life easy, the .config file they use. If I can get those, I could write a script which could automate this process. I might be able to extract the .config file from my phone, but unfortunately, I won't have time to do any of this until sometime next week.

As for swap, the kernel treats compcache exactly like a swap file and compcache requires a backing swap file to avoid getting itself into trouble. In principle, compcache should work by intercepting pages destined for swap, compressing them and storing them in RAM. Then if the kernel tries to swap the compressed pages, it is sent to real swap. In theory, you should be able to avoid ever having pages go to real swap if you do not use too much memory, but in practice, I am not familiar with exactly how compcache does things. The only thing I do know is that almost every system can benefit from it, with the benefit for some systems being more obvious than the benefit for others.

As for the ROM slang, as a guy with a CS degree, I do not think I will ever not find it confusing.

Well it should be a walk in the park for you then. ;)

Here's how to grab the .config file from your phone:
adb pull proc/config.gz

And here's a short writeup on how to build the kernel, it's written for the Optimus M, but should work as a road map for you.
[GUIDE] HOW To COMPILE A KERNEL 5/22/2011 - Android Forums

The kernel source was borked when first released by LG, bad comment strippers, but I believe they have a working package available on their download page. ;)

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh I hate bad downloads. Used one for a few days. At first it ran fine, today it FCed all over the place and the temp sensor for the battery reached 100F!!

Checked the MD5 of the file I flashed and it was wrong.

Lesson learned, check the MD5 before flashing!

good advice. i have this happen to me quite a bit because i'm lazy and download the ROMs from on my phone instead of a PC. i reckon, what program do you use to check the MD5?

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with backside that concurrently updates it, you still use v6 supercharger? What option u played with on this build?

And i figured something snazzzy out. You can wifi tether to your ds's. I was playing around with my sons mario kart ds and could connect through my phone(just browser wifi, not wireless tether.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad