[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get better battery life while keeping 3G always on? I don't want to turn my mobile data off because my phone stolen once and that remote security doesn't work without mobile data. My battery drain is unbelievable and the phone takes forever to charge.

Figure out what is killing your battery. You may be able to use something like Battery Defender to limit any required apps that are battery hogs from dragging it down, but leaving things like remote wipe available.

If you are seriously concerned about data being lost, get something like Dropbox and store sensitive stuff remotely. You can store stuff in email systems, Dropbox, home servers, etc... All of which will let you either lock them out or require a password to get into. As a plus, in order to access those they need internet, thereby giving you a chance to wipe as well.

Personally, I use a combination of tricks to secure information depending on how sensitive the information is, but that is better left to another thread.

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get better battery life while keeping 3G always on? I don't want to turn my mobile data off because my phone stolen once and that remote security doesn't work without mobile data. My battery drain is unbelievable and the phone takes forever to charge.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I think I had something like this happen before. For me it was a borked ROM install on one of the early IHO builds. I had to re-download the ROM, wipe the phone and reinstall everything. If I recall correctly, there ended up being something wrong with my download. The md5 didn't match I believe. It also had my GPS all screwy and the phone felt warm when charging. I would suggest to wipe and do a fresh install to get the demons out of there.

sent from my ASUS Transformer running Prime 2.1.1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Task killers can and will actually hurt your battery life. You have to understand the Android system, which keeps things in the background without using battery. It then recalls those things when needed. If you use a task killer to kill those things, then they have to re-initialize each time, instead of being called from the background already initialized. This wastes your battery in the process. ;)

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
That's shocking. I'm attached to Superbox. It'll feel odd not using the task killer. :p

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I ran multiple tests when I had stock rom, and when I first had aosp, 5 out of 5 days with froyo, task killer saved me around 10% of my battery every day. With aosp and I'm sure its the same with iho or any gb rom, I would lose about 15% of my battery every day. Even with juice defender, I have worse battery life then I do without it. With gb roms I have yet to find an app that actually saves me battery except for watchdog app manager. All it does is make sure none of your apps go crazy and eat your recourses more than they should

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My 3g is always on, I always make it through the day and then some unless I am on the phone or tethering.

If you can't make it through the day, with minimal use, you have an app eating your battery or you are on the stock rom, in which case apps and the rom are eating your battery. Under minimal use, there is no reason to not make 8-12 hours with a rom.

mm60

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
My 3g is always on, I always make it through the day and then some unless I am on the phone or tethering.

If you can't make it through the day, with minimal use, you have an app eating your battery or you are on the stock rom, in which case apps and the rom are eating your battery. Under minimal use, there is no reason to not make 8-12 hours with a rom.

I installed the hotmail app and its push technology was sucking up battery life. I changed the setting to check once in 15 minutes and it is significantly better now. You may have a similar app that is using a lot of battery life. Check the battery usage stats to see what is using up battery. You can also check to see how much time you do not have a cell connection. I have heard that uses significant battery life as well.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
i increased bat life by turning off all notifications. Except for email, it pushes 1 time a hour. There are many threads around here about battery life. Including the iho battery life thread here, shows users life span and most tell how they got it and will help you too. Also there a couple apps the will tell you what apps are keeping your phone from sleeping properly also.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=130468

Sent from your mom's phone.

Last edited:

foxchild

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
hi, i'm new here. i have an optimus v that i rooted and put bumblebee on months ago. i just came to check out this IHO rom and was wondering about the phone button thing and if that's the only issue. The image on the first page show a picture of a puppet face where the phone, apps, and globe thing for the internet was supposed to be. I'm rather used to the trio of touch buttons at the bottom so I'm wondering if that puppet face image is customizable?

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
JerryScript- Many thanks for all the work you put into this amazing ROM! I'd just like to ask a question that has come up before here but didn't seem to have a good resolution. Is there any way to bump down the minimum in-call volume for the speakerphone? It looks like the slider will only go down so far and the volume at that point is wacky loud (the stock rom is pretty loud anyway, but this seems louder). I've tried all manner of 3rd party volume apps and adjusting things like the system volume don't seem to make a bit of difference.

My apologies if this question has been answered and I've just missed it-

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
hi, i'm new here. i have an optimus v that i rooted and put bumblebee on months ago. i just came to check out this IHO rom and was wondering about the phone button thing and if that's the only issue. The image on the first page show a picture of a puppet face where the phone, apps, and globe thing for the internet was supposed to be. I'm rather used to the trio of touch buttons at the bottom so I'm wondering if that puppet face image is customizable?
That is just my setup for the dock. It is fully customizable with the included ADW Launcher. You can set it to 0-5 icons, change which apps are there, and change the icons themselves. In that screenshot, I have it set to one app, with the background turned off on the dock, and the icon set to one of my fav avatars. ;)

Reactions: foxchild

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
JerryScript- Many thanks for all the work you put into this amazing ROM! I'd just like to ask a question that has come up before here but didn't seem to have a good resolution. Is there any way to bump down the minimum in-call volume for the speakerphone? It looks like the slider will only go down so far and the volume at that point is wacky loud (the stock rom is pretty loud anyway, but this seems louder). I've tried all manner of 3rd party volume apps and adjusting things like the system volume don't seem to make a bit of difference.

My apologies if this question has been answered and I've just missed it-

I'll just add that I realize the stock ROM has a minimum in call volume that you don't seem to be able to get below, so maybe it's a hardware thing- just wondering if there is a way to modify it... :)

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll just add that I realize the stock ROM has a minimum in call volume that you don't seem to be able to get below, so maybe it's a hardware thing- just wondering if there is a way to modify it... :)
It seems to be a bug in the drivers, which we have never fully figured out. There are comments in the repository about it, which can be found on the wiki.

Reactions: rcsrich

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
New build is ready, Happy Holidays Everyone!

BACKside-IHO-VM670-12212011.zip
md5sum 88fb569ccd2b6062b375fd479470e59a

GreenMachineTheme-12212011.zip

Changes:
--Fixed the date view in the status bar, now the notification icons will animate away when the date is visible, and animate back when as it fades away.
--Added option to customize the overscroll color (cherry-picked from here), not sure how it will affect themes, needs testing
--Synced with CM, new option to skip bootanimation may make boot times faster, fix to notification drop down swipe to dismiss feature makes it smoother

Thanks to Danesh for the overscroll code, and as always thanks to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, LeslieAnn, kermikalelite, the CM and AOSP teams, and many many more. ;)

I hope everyone has Very Happy Holidays!

Last edited: