[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The amount of skill and learning depends on your method of building it.
Most of my roms were built by messing around with previously built roms, just copy files in and out of the zip and re-sign it. Most Froyo roms were built that way. This method can be as simple or difficult as you decide to make it.

Building IHO isn't hard, it's learning how to modify it and get the build to start that is difficult, but there is nothing to stop you from building a stock IHO build and then using the previously mentioned method, which is exactly how Harmonia is built these days using a Mrg666 generic IHO build.

Time in another variable.
Adding or removing an app or two is quick and easy, 2 minutes, including re-signing. The deeper you go, the longer it takes and the more trouble shooting it requires.

All of that often pales in comparison to the amount of time you spend supporting others using it.

I just noticed you had a EVO, and a semi-retired V, so will you be leaving us soon? :-\

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Depends on his reason for building.
My roms have always been based around what I wanted, if others liked them, great. His are probably similar. It may sound selfish, but considering the effort put into them, there is nothing selfish about it.

The only reason I ask is it seems people about stuff he adds that are suppose to help with certain issues or are just cosmetic changes. Initially I think he said he was going to do this just as a side project that honestly appears to have turned into a second job lol.

I only suggested that as a way to avoid the omg why do i no more have space??!!!??? posts. Or the OMG MY PHONE REBOOTED AND THAT BOOTSOUND ALMOST GOT ME FIRED/KICKED OUT OF CLASS.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Most of my roms were built by messing around with previously built roms, just copy files in and out of the zip and re-sign it. Most Froyo roms were built that way. This method can be as simple or difficult as you decide to make it.

Building IHO isn't hard, it's learning how to modify it and get the build to start that is difficult, but there is nothing to stop you from building a stock IHO build and then using the previously mentioned method, which is exactly how Harmonia is built these days using a Mrg666 generic IHO build.

Adding or removing an app or two is quick and easy, 2 minutes, including re-signing. The deeper you go, the longer it takes and the more trouble shooting it requires.

All of that often pales in comparison to the amount of time you spend supporting others using it.

Well when you put it that way... I technically am running my own rom. I take jerrys backside rom, tear it open and replace some system files (like adw with my own modified stock) and theme up the status icons and drop down to be a little nicer looking. I guess what I should have said is that I can't build from source code like jerry does at most I would be making a rip-off rom of someone elses... unless that counts.:p

EpicSilver

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know how to fix the wifi so it doesnt turn off everytime i lock my phone... It gets annoying because i get many notifications through wifi but it auto closes everytime i lock it.. I do have an auto killer app but i dont know if that affects that

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^^
In the Wifi Settings menu, press menu key, Advanced -> Wifi Sleep Policy.

Edit: I set mine to Never because 3G at home is very flaky (jumps between two towers). Keeping it on wifi when the screen is off more than doubles my battery life.

Sent from my LG Optimus V CM7/IHO

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know how to fix the wifi so it doesnt turn off everytime i lock my phone... It gets annoying because i get many notifications through wifi but it auto closes everytime i lock it.. I do have an auto killer app but i dont know if that affects that

First off get rid of the auto killer app. Use a shortcut on your screen to the built in app manager. I dont care what anybody tells you With the new builds of android those apps are useless.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I only have 44 apps and a lot are on my sdcard and I only have 38MB free...how do I do a full wipe without losing all my stuff?

That's like asking "how do I jump into a pool without getting wet"
the answer: very carefully;)

Only way to do a full wipe and not lose your apla is to back them up with something like titanium backup before wiping everything. Wiling will erase you gmail account stuff though, but that's minor.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That's like asking "how do I jump into a pool without getting wet"
the answer: very carefully;)

Only way to do a full wipe and not lose your apla is to back them up with something like titanium backup before wiping everything. Wiling will erase you gmail account stuff though, but that's minor.

I would still lose all my app settings though wouldn't I?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed you had a EVO, and a semi-retired V, so will you be leaving us soon? :-\
The OV is only semi-retired because it will be used to build/test Harmonia and it's a backup in case the Evo ever has issues.

So no, I'm not leaving.

At the same time, don't expect a flood of updates on either version of Harmonia. I prefer to wait for something significant before I update once I get one that runs well. Plus, Harmonia is about simplicity.

Well when you put it that way... I technically am running my own rom. I take jerrys backside rom, tear it open and replace some system files (like adw with my own modified stock) and theme up the status icons and drop down to be a little nicer looking. I guess what I should have said is that I can't build from source code like jerry does at most I would be making a rip-off rom of someone elses... unless that counts.:p
Depends.
Aphrodite was a modded Stock + Xionia (that started out exactly with what you are doing), but by the time it was released, it was more a continuation of a rom rather than just a new rom (the original dev went back to school). Harmonious Bumblebee's creator considers it a mod I think, but it was an original idea and it is technically a rom you can install.

It just depends where you draw the line, but something to consider is that we don't need 50 roms all with just minor changes. We have several IHO roms, but they all fit a niche. If someone took one and just changed the launcher I think most would consider it more of a pure IHO rom and others would simply frown on it.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I think it can be broken down into three or four categories:

1- Building from source - can be either straight from source with no modifications, or you can do as little or as much modifying of the source code as you like. With or without modifications, you are still standing on the backs of giants! ;)

2- Creating a ROM package - can be as simple as a stock ROM with root added, to as extreme as replacing 40% of the apks and 40-50% of the libs. This is partially how LeslieAnn works, though she builds from source first. Once again, you are still standing on the backs of giants!

3- Creating a Themed ROM - similar to 2 above, this invloves taking a complete ROM package, and altering mostly visual elements (launchers, icons, etc). While not considered a truly separate ROM, it is one of the most popular methods of ROM creation out there, since anyone can do it with a very slight learning curve. One more time, you are standing on the backs of giants, with help from some others as well (launcher devs ect)!

4- Re-writing from scratch - I think the last person to truly do this was Linus Torvalds, and even he actually built Linux from Unix, though it was the most complete rewrite in tech history. This is a case of a giant standing on the back of other giants!

The point I'm trying to make here, is that Android is open source. All the details needed to create apps, mods, and fully functioning ROMs are available to anyone. So for me to say "No you can't do that with BACKside" would be like Linus telling Ubuntu to back off! For those not familiar with these names, it would be like the creator of ice cream telling Ben & Jerry to stop making new flavors!

I belive it has been stated several times in this and other IHO threads: the more the merrier! ;)

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
For those with screen freezes which we believe are due to the new rotation animations, please try this:

Settings>>Display>>Animations>>No animations

And/or

Settings>>Display>>Auto-rotate screen

Let me know if this prevents the freezes, that way we can pretty much be sure it's the rotation animation causing the issue.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make here, is that Android is open source. All the details needed to create apps, mods, and fully functioning ROMs are available to anyone. So for me to say "No you can't do that with BACKside" would be like Linus telling Ubuntu to back off! For those not familiar with these names, it would be like the creator of ice cream telling Ben & Jerry to stop making new flavors!
I started out using mostly method 2, then went to #1, and now I am mostly back to #2, though, it's source is basically still #1 only provided by a 3rd party. Anyone's head spinning yet?

As for what I quoted, yes and no.
To simply take Backside and make it their own would be a bit wrong, especially if they didn't acknowledge it. To build from your source would be fine. Ubuntu doesn't take Linus's entire install and mod it, they build from the source that Linus purposely released for that purpose. Same with Backside, they have the right to your code, that doesn't mean they necessarily have full rights to just take a Backside rom and do what they want. On the other hand, even #1 is standing on the back of giants, because you are still using code from others, in this case IHO, which is Android, which uses Java and Linux, the latter of which was based on Unix, the former based on C (I think).

And actually the creator of ice cream could do that, if he had patented the idea in the last 50 years or so.

With that out of the way, why are we discussing Peanuts and ice cream? :p

loug614

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a bit of a problem, if there is no solution, it's alright but let me know if there is, I'm running the latest Backside IHO JerryScritps version (Big fan), and every time there is a new update I always think that update is going to fix it but I guess it hasn't been brought to light or something, when I get phone calls, my phone doesn't play the ringtone I set, is there any solution to this? Thank you in advance. :)

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
This last OTA went very smooth in both my OV's ( and old novatec & a new Hitachi ). I downloaded both while traveling and they're working great! This rom just keeps getting better & better. Thanks as always!

Reactions: JerryScript

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a bit of a problem, if there is no solution, it's alright but let me know if there is, I'm running the latest Backside IHO JerryScritps version (Big fan), and every time there is a new update I always think that update is going to fix it but I guess it hasn't been brought to light or something, when I get phone calls, my phone doesn't play the ringtone I set, is there any solution to this? Thank you in advance. :)

There should be no issues with ringtones in Backside. I have it running on my OV and don't have any problems.

Are you trying to use a built-in ringtone or one that you loaded?
If using one you loaded have you tried built-in ones?
When you get a call does a different ringtone play besides the one you selected or do you get nothing at all?

It sounds like you may have a bad file somewhere that might require a full wipe and flash but give some more info and maybe it's something that can be fixed.

Glenar

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In appreciation

Here you go:)

Jerry,

I saw that you used this link in another forum. Constantly reworded, this could easily become your most used response, and maybe perhaps should be. However, thanks for not doing so. Thanks for your good work and your patience with us.

Reactions: JerryScript

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I started out using mostly method 2, then went to #1, and now I am mostly back to #2, though, it's source is basically still #1 only provided by a 3rd party. Anyone's head spinning yet?

As for what I quoted, yes and no.
To simply take Backside and make it their own would be a bit wrong, especially if they didn't acknowledge it. To build from your source would be fine. Ubuntu doesn't take Linus's entire install and mod it, they build from the source that Linus purposely released for that purpose. Same with Backside, they have the right to your code, that doesn't mean they necessarily have full rights to just take a Backside rom and do what they want. On the other hand, even #1 is standing on the back of giants, because you are still using code from others, in this case IHO, which is Android, which uses Java and Linux, the latter of which was based on Unix, the former based on C (I think).

And actually the creator of ice cream could do that, if he had patented the idea in the last 50 years or so.

With that out of the way, why are we discussing Peanuts and ice cream? :p

I think if I decided to start one it would be more of #2 and #3, since I've been replacing system files for quite a while like that. What my idea is is to retain alot of modification like backside has, but get as close to stock as harmonia has, since there's a bunch of stuff I dont use in backside, and I switch out with other stuff. Also I I like the stock look, but I made it way more colorful on my phone, it looks artsy, and I combined some awesome wallpapers together in the launcher as well as theme that too. Stock launcher just seems more stable and less cluttered with options like adw.

Basically I want to exchange apps and theme to make something professional looking and clean. Eventually I'm going to build from source, but the only pc at my disposal for a while is my dads windows 7 and I don't think he'd be too thrilled if I partitioned his hard drive and installed linux on him:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781