[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: MiRaGe 04142012

I have uploaded the 04142012 build of MiRaGe to the IHO Wiki.

You can find all of the changes at this link since 04032012.

I have changed ro.ril.hsxpa and ro.ril.gprsclass settings in build.prop as follows. It seems to me that there is some improvement in the 3G speed.
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
Please post if you have any feedback.

As always thanks to Blarf, Bob, Jerry, LeslieAnn, tdm, thekraven, gannon5197, tvall, bigsupersquid, Whyzor, and of course all of the CM team.

Flashed the update and now I can't connect to my WiFi router. Not a connectivity problem per se though. :-\ The problem is that after I enter the SSID, select the encryption type (WPA,WPA2 PSK) and then input the password the "save" button is still grayed out. Only the "cancel" button is live, so I can't complete the process to get the connection with the router going. Acts as if the system hasn't seen the password info that I put in.

I have rebooted, toggled Airplane mode a few times, tried it with 3G on and off and no change.

Anybody else see this? If not I will assume it's just a bad flash and take another run at it.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have been using ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and ro.ril.gprsclass=12 for a while(https://github.com/BobZhome/android_device_lge_thunderc/commit/7853149af9949eaaac99f40f72db145f46dcabb7) now.
When I saw that you recommended ro.ril.hsxpa=2, I had to test it out.
Test 1: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app
Ping(ms) Download(kbps) Upload(kbps)
216 427 405
206 804 723
195 1364 800
179 896 782
175 1129 734

I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
999 298 302
1132 197 228
631 509 282
1101 420 691
600 321 265

Again, I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
284 493 631
307 622 200
416 659 408
598 439 259
404 314 332

For me, it seems like ro.ril.hsxpa=3 works a little better in my location at this point in time. I'll do some more testing with different times and locations to see if the results are the same.
Was the 3G better for you on Virgin or Verizon? My tests were done on Virgin...

Bob, thank you for the detailed feedback.

I tested only on the VM network and I have not tried hsxpa=3. Based on my testing, the hsxpa=2 makes the difference when the 3g network is not congested, i.e. late in the evening and at night. I have consistently seen >2000 kbps download on speedtest.net when I have switched to hsxpa=2. With hsxpa=1, I have not seen any speed larger than ~1200 kbps. The benefit of hsxpa tuning is not that apparent when the network is congested. I will try hsxpa=3 tonight after everybody puts their phones away and post here.

Last edited:
Reactions: glarepate

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Flashed the update and now I can't connect to my WiFi router. Not a connectivity problem per se though. :-\ The problem is that after I enter the SSID, select the encryption type (WPA,WPA2 PSK) and then input the password the "save" button is still grayed out. Only the "cancel" button is live, so I can't complete the process to get the connection with the router going. Acts as if the system hasn't seen the password info that I put in.

I have rebooted, toggled Airplane mode a few times, tried it with 3G on and off and no change.

Anybody else see this? If not I will assume it's just a bad flash and take another run at it.

There are no WiFi problems here. You might want to delete the WiFi hosts, toggle airplane mode, and rediscover the SSID's you are using.

Figures you would release an update the same day I crush my screen. lol. Pay day can't come faster right now.

You can find screen assemblies of Optimus S and V phones on Ebay for a cheap price. You can even buy a phone with a bad ESN and use it as a screen donor to your phone. You can probably use Optimus C, M, or Vortex to transplant their screens too.
Here is how to do it.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuwPBj1YqnY[/YT]

Last edited:

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

There are no WiFi problems here. You might want to delete the WiFi hosts, toggle airplane mode, and rediscover the SSID's you are using.

Except I can't "Forget"/delete it because it's not a broadcast SSID ; it doesn't show up until I make the connection. I always have to enter it manually when I first set up the connection and then it is automatic after that.

I should have mentioned that in the post.

And the hosts that are visible are also secured so I can only "Connect" or "Cancel". No "Forget" options for them either.

Thank you for your suggestions though.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
can I turn off 3g while still leaving 1x data and cell phone signal working? I saw a 2g/3g toggle in the power widget, would that do it?

I don't think that works on IHO.

There are apps that can do it, but some beleive they have problems (myself for one) and they will only work on stock based roms.

Reactions: Dave Begue

jayleekay

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm using go launcher and just installed a new theme newmiui v4. Which is awesome, but in the screenshots of the theme the status bar icons are all blue yet I can't get mine to do anything but green. I have it set to Theme instead of Rom in the settings but it's being stubborn.

I've successfully changed their color before on old themes but they never "stuck". I would have to reset the status bar after ever reboot to get the colors to go back to blue. That's not working in this case.

justinh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So i just installed the latest version to my girl friend's phone did a full wipe / sd card format and reinstalled everything so its a fresh install..we are now having the problem of the phone locking up 5-10 times a day and having to do a battery pull..any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
So i just installed the latest version to my girl friend's phone did a full wipe / sd card format and reinstalled everything so its a fresh install..we are now having the problem of the phone locking up 5-10 times a day and having to do a battery pull..any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

The usual suspects (off the top of my head):

1) Check MD5 of the ROM and gapps downloads.

2) Double (or even triple) wipe boot, system, cache, data, dalvik before flashing.

3) Give it 10 mins peace to rebuild after first boot.

4) Avoid restoring apps (or at least app data) with TiBu. Definitely avoid restoring any system apps or data.

5) Don't overclock until you know you have a stable install.

You're probably already doing those - apologies in that case. But even if you do, maybe just try again.

justinh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
actualy I have only done one full wipe..will try it again..I dont want or think i need to do a total system/app wipe again would I? she doesnt want to lose everything again? as far as gapps..they were all installed and downloaded from the market..never flashed any of them..also the md5 checked out fine

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
I know, my wife's phone is the same, there's just so many apps she never wanted to start over. But fact is we never got her phone as stable as mine because I did a full reinstall, where hers we restored with TiBu. (Well, until I did the ZV9 update, now hers is more stable - but that's another story :( )

Basically, if you have a wonky install and have to pull the battery all the time, I'd go back to scratch, wipe and flash again, and install only few apps at a time, till I have it stable.

Flashing gapps gives you the necessary Google account framework - even though you download individual Google apps from market. I don't know that sync and all works without it. The only exception is if your ROM has gapps built-in, such as Harmonia.

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for another great build Mrg's. 3g speeds haven't quite improved but as always solid as a rock
42bdb39c-efae-4a6d.jpg

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrg666

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I have been using ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and ro.ril.gprsclass=12 for a while(https://github.com/BobZhome/android_device_lge_thunderc/commit/7853149af9949eaaac99f40f72db145f46dcabb7) now.
When I saw that you recommended ro.ril.hsxpa=2, I had to test it out.
Test 1: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app
216 427 405
206 804 723
195 1364 800
179 896 782
175 1129 734

I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=2 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
999 298 302
1132 197 228
631 509 282
1101 420 691
600 321 265

Again, I manual changed build.prop to ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and rebooted...waited 5 minutes to allow the phone to settle down.
Test 2: Five tests with ro.ril.hsxpa=3 and 15 seconds between tests with speedtest.net app to same server as before
284 493 631
307 622 200
416 659 408
598 439 259
404 314 332

For me, it seems like ro.ril.hsxpa=3 works a little better in my location at this point in time. I'll do some more testing with different times and locations to see if the results are the same.
Was the 3G better for you on Virgin or Verizon? My tests were done on Virgin...

Not sure how or whether these settings affect CDMA phones like the OV. According to some research:

[TWEAK: GSM ONLY] Boosting Signal Strength with "ro.ril" props (HSxPA/GPRS/EDGE)

build.prop ro.ril meanings - HTC Dream / HTC Magic Stable Mod - CyanogenMod Forum

List of networks using HSDPA:

List of HSDPA networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What may explain the speed difference is a value of hsxpa=3 is actually invalid, and it falls back to OFF, which means less interference than having it on since it doesn't really apply to the Virgin Mobile (Sprint) network. I would also think having it enabled could draw slightly more power (or run extra unnecessary code) in its attempts to establish that protocol. I haven't installed it on my OV long enough to notice yet.

Also I installed tvall's 0.2 kernel with the scheduler tweaks and it's running fine on latest Mirage build. Maybe slightly more responsive, thanks for the updated kernel. As I posted on the XDA IHO thread a while back, using the SIO scheduler allows the phone to prevent long I/O transfers from blocking other threads (a good thing, also confirmed by tests someone did & posted about (maybe on xda), only scheduler faster was NOOP, but that blocked other threads).

One minor tweak left I think is to default to interactive governor instead of conservative which should almost be removed because it's slow and any battery improvement is questionable (set with kernel compile flag in the .config file: CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y). Not sure about the other CPU schedulers & tweaks, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. Battery life is something I'm watching closely.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

One minor tweak left I think is to default to interactive governor instead of conservative which should almost be removed because it's slow and any battery improvement is questionable (set with kernel compile flag in the .config file: CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y). Not sure about the other CPU schedulers & tweaks, but haven't noticed any adverse effects. Battery life is something I'm watching closely.

that part was a mistake that i think ive already corrected. in case you were wondering. I'm new to this kernel thing. i usually set the default to ondemand because it works and its what other kernel devs set it to usually. but since most users of my kernel will be on iho, it cant hurt to set it to something else. (i usually use the interactive governor, but i havent done much testing)

justinh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

So I wiped and re flashed everything and still the same thing..we have narrowed it down to she works at a hospital and service is constantly in and out..any more ideas?

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried unchecking the rotation annamation in cygen settings,interface?

My phone was freezing and that worked for me
Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
New build of BACKside-IHO us up!

Download via the BacksideUpdater (just wait till you see the new one!)

or

BACKside-IHO-VM670-04172012.zip
md5sum d396e9c3e62e80747f00877415ea6bb7

GreenMachineTheme-04172012.zip

Changes: Synced with CM and cherry-picked some changes
-- Lots of behind the scenes code improvements in dalvik, should lead to smoother performance
-- -- BacksideUpdater huge update!!!
-- -- Added download progress indicator but it is still OK to exit and let it complete in the background
-- -- Added the ability to Automatically Install ROM Updates!!
-- -- -- Once you have downloaded the ROM package and BacksideUpdater verifies it, you can select Install ROM Now and your phone will reboot and wipe cache/dalvik-cache and install the ROM and reboot back to normal All Automatically! ;)

For the best results download and install CWM-Green-Recovery, a new recovery I built for just this purpose!

Note- Automatic install has been tested to work on CWM-Green, BobZhome, IHO, and Drew's-Touch recoveries. Automatic wipe dalvik-cache only works on CWM-Green-Recovery.

Thanks as always to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, tdm, LeslieAnn, gannon, tvall, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, kermikalelite, the CM team, the AOSP team, and a whole lot more! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835