Safest Kernel to use? New to rooting.

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, i would just like to say this is my first post :)

Anyways, when it comes to the risk factor with things related to rooting, I become a wreck with this D:
I am running the stock ROM and I rooted with gingerbreak 1.2.0. I have Rom Manager(free) on my Optimus, and hit the pretty button to flash the recovery with the Clockwork Recovery. What is the safest way to add a kernel to my phone and overclock it? I have setCPU, I know how to use that. How should i get about using Rom Manager with this? (a quick step-by-step would be nice)

Thank you very much!

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a 'How-To' here that will show you how to install a custom recovery. If you don't want to install a ROM, just stop at step 15.
Thanks, I'll look into this tomorrow as i have to let my phone charge. What recovery will be installed onto my phone? Looks pretty simple to follow.

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
It will install the Xionia .4 recovery. It's the one recommended to run on our 'V's. JerryScript has it right, Do NOT use Rom Tools on the Optimus V!! I tried to make it as simple as possible. Just read it in it's entirety before you begin. and in no time you'll be cruisin!! ;)

Reactions: chillybizkit

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
It will install the Xionia .4 recovery. It's the one recommended to run on our 'V's. JerryScript has it right, Do NOT use Rom Tools on the Optimus V!! I tried to make it as simple as possible. Just read it in it's entirety before you begin. and in no time you'll be cruisin!! ;)
Thanks alot! and also, i think i read this somewhere, on the Xionia recovery will there be and option to install from /sdcard? I just choose that and then choose the .zip, right?

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks alot! and also, i think i read this somewhere, on the Xionia recovery will there be and option to install from /sdcard? I just choose that and then choose the .zip, right?

Correct. If your installing a ROM too, then follow the whole 'How To' in it's entirety and you'll be good to go!!

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Correct. If your installing a ROM too, then follow the whole 'How To' in it's entirety and you'll be good to go!!
I may as well look into a new rom, probably Harmonia. I heard that had wonderful battery life and speed, plus extra space. Thanks a lot, romtools looks like its easy to use. I have a fear of cmd.exe D:

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I may as well look into a new rom, probably Harmonia. I heard that had wonderful battery life and speed, plus extra space. Thanks a lot, romtools looks like its easy to use. I have a fear of cmd.exe D:

That is exactly why it was created and why I use it and why I decided to write a 'how to' so it will be easy as pie. Don't get me wrong, there's going to be a time where I'm going to have to use it (cmd.exe), but in my book, the easier the better. :D

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly why it was created and why I use it and why I decided to write a 'how to' so it will be easy as pie. Don't get me wrong, there's going to be a time where I'm going to have to use it (cmd.exe), but in my book, the easier the better. :D
I am currently in ROM tools. Do i have to install "drivers, r00t and flash recovery" or can i just "flash recovery"?

EDIT: i just want to get the recovery on.

Last edited:

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Option 1, Drivers, Root and Flash Recovery. Drivers are needed for windows and root is only temporary in order to flash the recovery. Once phone is rebooted, you'll be rooted again and of course your recovery.

chillybizkit

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Option 1, Drivers, Root and Flash Recovery. Drivers are needed for windows and root is only temporary in order to flash the recovery. Once phone is rebooted, you'll be rooted again and of course your recovery.
thank you SO much! I got the recovery up and running perfectly. Any reccomendations for a kernel?

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Your qite welcome. As for a Kernel... no(ok maybe Bumblebee). ROM... Yes. I would go with the BACKSide ROM as long as your not going to use GrooveIP. Bluetooth works now though. You can get the Kernels and other ROMs here. BACKSide here. I'm not sure which Kernel you can use for your phone though. I just flash the whole ROM.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you just want to keep the stock ROM but be overclocked then picasticks kernel will work fine. Harmonia 1.3 is good for having the most app space(it also has a patch that has the new market with it). Bumblebee is close in app space but you can overclock the CPU to 787 easy(makes Angry Birds super smooth and fast.). If you decide to try a Gingerbread ROM then you will have to change your recovery to ClockWorkMod 3.2.0.1. Xionia works really good with FROYO ROM's ,but, does not wipe completely when trying to install a CM7(Gingerbread) ROM. This can cause little annoying problems to big problems that will make you have to wipe every thing and install your last backup and then go thru the whole wiping and installing process again to get the ROM installed(Pain in the neck). Everybody has an opinion on what works for them, just pick a CM7 ROM that is getting updated(little bugs getting fixed)on a regular basis,and has all the major items fixed. The BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme(you don't have to install the theme if green isn't your color) is one that I know fits those parameters. Hope this has ben helpful

Last edited: