[Info] Overclocking

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion on the subject of overclocking. Here are a few points to remember, please add to this as it is not complete:

---WARNING- Overclocking can adversely affect your phone, and it may shorten it's lifespan, though most likely you will get a different phone way before that happens.

---Do not select "Set On Boot" until you are sure you are at a stable speed!!!

---Each phone will behave differently, there is no magic number that you should be able to overclock to, our CPUs are rated at 600, but in reality they are built for a higher number. Once built, they are tested for stability, and as long as they are stable at 600, they are shipped. They may be perfectly fine at 806-864, though most people find 768-787 to be the sweetspot for the OV.

---Test with all apps to be sure of stability, just because you are stable most of the time, once you try to use certain apps, you may find your phone crashing, apps such as the camera, gallery, youtube, netflix, just about anything that involves streaming media or graphics acceleration will show instability before most other apps will.

---Different ROMs use different kernels, and the overclocking and schedulers will be different with each, so just because you ran stable on one ROM at a certain speed does not mean you will on all of them.

You best bet for finding your phone's overclocking sweet spot is to start at 806, then try every single app you can think of that has high demands, if your phone crashes, drop it down a notch and test again. Once you find what appears to be a stable overclock value, drop it down another notch, and you most likely will never have another overclock related crash. ;)

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I am using No-frills CPU Control which is set at 600-825, interactive since several days. I don't see any voltage control. Do you know if the voltage is changing with CPU clock? Is there a clock limit after which voltage changes?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Is an overclocking app required or will the CPU automatically overclock when needed when an overclock kernel is installed?

- Although some of the custom ROMs (e.g. Bumblebee) are preoverclocked, you need an app like SetCPU or No-frill CPU to control the overclock.
- You can set either a fixed or variable clock speed.
- Variable clock speed is controlled by the kernel depending on the CPU load and the control method of the kernel is called "governor". There are several governors depending on the kernel on your phone. You can choose the governor in the overclocking app.
- You need to root and flash at least a custom kernel to gain overclocking capability. If you flash a custom ROM, it most probably comes with a custom kernel that can overclock.

Here is some more detailed information about controlling the CPU clock and governor.

Tacular Z

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh, so, this is a bit off topic. But I'm on your BACKside ROM, Jerry. And I happen to run across, an Easter egg? It seems tapping on the Android "Version Number" several times brings up, some Zombie Art piece? Was this intentional? Or just kind of well, there? By the way, I'm loving it, and also your Green Machine theme! :)

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Cool thread with some good info. Do you have any advice on the low end of the spectrum? I believe Bumblebee out of the box is 480-768? Or is set at a constant 768? Is 480 a good place to keep the low end, even if you bump up the high end to 806? Or should you bring the low end up with it?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I keep it at 480, but there is the possibility of gaining some battery life by underclocking your min even lower. Really depends on the kernel you are using, and the apps you run, and your usage in general.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance