Hey, I'm a relative newcomer to Android. I have a LG Optimus V that I recently rooted using Superoneclick and then put clockworkmod recovery on the phone. That was a week ago and the phone had been working fine but I decided to try to flash zefie's cm7 rom using ROM manager and in the middle of rebooting and flashing the rom the phone booted into the normal black and white LG logo and then proceed to go into a logo that is red with LG's website at the bottom. After further inspection I determined that I can in fact boot into the clockworkmod recovery but when ever I click on something in the menu, the menu disappears and only the logo for clockworkmod recovery is shown. I've waited for a while to see if anything changes but nothing has. Please help
    08-01-2011 11:20 PM
    sounds like your hitting the wrong button in CWM its the option key (1st) key on your phone from the left. I hope you made a backup before you flashed that outdated CM7 ROM on your phone.
    08-01-2011 11:30 PM
    you are probably using the 3.2.0.0 recovery...

this recovery is BROKEN

also, the CAMERA BUTTON is the enter key, pressing any of the 4 home buttons will make the text disapear, this is NORMAL behavior. you didnt do enough reading before you tried any of this. this information is everywhere.

since you can get into recovery, heres what you need to do.

restore your NANDROID BACKUP that you made right before you tried to flash the new rom.

(for the love of god, please tell us you made a backup, thats just about the only feature of CWM 3.2.0.0 that ACTUALLY WORKS)

now, once you backed up, you can go back into your ROM, ADB through your PC, and push busybox and su over. becuase, im taking a wild guess (XD) here, but im willing to bet you clicked the "root" button in superoneclick, instead of shell root, and pushing the files over manually.

there is a very very very very good reason the "How To Root" thread tells you to do it manually. becuase no other method works. if you click "root" and let SuperOneClick do its thing, it actually only gives you a root until the phone reboots. its NOT PERMANANT. which would explain why CWM failed flashing a rom

now.... if you didnt make a backup before you attempted to flash. the process of restoring your phone to a working condition gets a little more in depth. and I dont have that kind of time right now.

also for the future. the ONLY thing rom manager is good for is flashing the recovery to your phone. the updated (3.2.0.1) recovery for the Optimus V actually works as intended. but NO OTHER FEATURE OF ROM MANAGER WORKS ON THE OV YET. also, the roms arent even in the right place so its hard to find them anyways. you have to come here to the forum to get the links to download them.

very clear, and easy to understand instructions EXIST in THIS VERY FORUM and MANY OTHERS.

your post just now is almost word for word, the same as a dozen other people this week who thought they knew what they were doing and now have this exact problem.

read. read read read read and read some more before you do ANYTHING.

and heck, for the heck of it, read some more.

knowledge is power, never has that been more true than in the last few weeks of going through this forum and seeing posts by people who REFUSE to follow the correct instructions.
    koopakid08 and longebane like this.
    08-01-2011 11:36 PM
    Not aimed toward the OP but that superoneclick and CWM is just been a major pain in the *** lately. I am starting to have seething hate for superoneclick altogether. I think Eollie might be right one click tools in the hands of noobs is not a good thing.
    watskyhotsky and koopakid08 like this.
    08-01-2011 11:50 PM
    I almost made the same mistake when I started. I used ROM manager to flash CWM 3.2.0.1 (lucky for me). I also somehow figured out the camera button is the 'enter' key instead of the front keys.I read quite a bit, but this is the first time I've heard 3.2.0 is broken. There is a lot of misinformation (almost too much) & some outdated stuff. For example having people use GingerBreak 1.2 apk to root is a lot simpler than superoneclick, and less chance of screwing up too.
    Retorrent likes this.
    08-02-2011 12:00 AM
    I almost made the same mistake when I started. I used ROM manager to flash CWM 3.2.0.1 (lucky for me). I also somehow figured out the camera button is the 'enter' key instead of the front keys.I read quite a bit, but this is the first time I've heard 3.2.0 is broken. There is a lot of misinformation (almost too much) & some outdated stuff. For example having people use GingerBreak 1.2 apk to root is a lot simpler than superoneclick, and less chance of screwing up too.
    Phones are being messed up left and right because of superoneclick and CWM. I like GingerBreak and fastboot, if you mess up using fastboot then I think you need to rethink rooting the phone.
    08-02-2011 12:11 AM
    Phones are being messed up left and right because of superoneclick and CWM. I like GingerBreak and fastboot, if you mess up using fastboot then I think you need to rethink rooting the phone.
    Been there,done that,got the paper weight(at least I have spare parts if I ever need them). SuperOneClick in the hands of ill informed "Nuub's" spell B R I C K. Used Gingerbreak .apk on the current "V". It took a couple of tries,but I couldn't mess up my phone using it("Nuub" proof). Plus I don't know if using Rom Manager for anything other than deleting unwanted backups without having to go into recovery is a good Idea. Anyway:witz25 it appears that you need to use the camera button to make selections. If you hit any other button on the front by accident and it causes your screen to go blank just hit the same button again and all will be peachie keen again. Try to refrain from using Rom Manager for anything but deleting only unwanted backups. If there are more things you can do with it,I have not been willing to find out the hard way.One paperweight is all I need.
    08-02-2011 10:16 AM
    Not aimed toward the OP but that superoneclick and CWM is just been a major pain in the *** lately. I am starting to have seething hate for superoneclick altogether. I think Eollie might be right one click tools in the hands of noobs is not a good thing.
    Glad somebody is listening.
    If there are more things you can do with it,I have not been willing to find out the hard way.One paperweight is all I need.
    Rom Manager > Fix Permissions
    That should fix all permissions where you dont get a prompt for super user permission.
    Rom Manager is a good tool in that as long as the developers submit the proper manifests to Koush to be pushed it will work properly.

All things blamed on Rom Manager can be linked back to devs not submitting the proper stuff. If any of you guys have ever dealt with Koush you would know he is a very chill guy and if you have a problem with his apps that are truly a error of his app he will go out of his way to help you correct it.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    08-02-2011 12:06 PM
    Glad somebody is listening.

Rom Manager > Fix Permissions
    That should fix all permissions where you dont get a prompt for super user permission.
    Rom Manager is a good tool in that as long as the developers submit the proper manifests to Koush to be pushed it will work properly.

All things blamed on Rom Manager can be linked back to devs not submitting the proper stuff. If any of you guys have ever dealt with Koush you would know he is a very chill guy and if you have a problem with his apps that are truly a error of his app he will go out of his way to help you correct it.
    Thanks for opening my eye's to more possibilities with ROM Manager. Sorry that I made it seem like It was the DEV of the app that was at fault. I know that there are many things that can cause an app not to work properly. Developers of ROM's can be one of them(inexperience is another).I did use(and still occasionally do) ROM Manager to flash the new CWMod recovery 3.2.0.1 and have had no problem with doing that. I also remember now(your memory is the first to go when near 50) using the fix permission option with no problems.Plus it works great for deleting backups. It does have some great potential. Right now though it just isn't a good idea to flash any ROM that is for the Optimus "V" from the app. Bad things can happen to the "V".
    Eollie likes this.
    08-02-2011 12:55 PM
    i used super one click once and bricked my phone factory resetting it but mine is not a paper weight i just flashed xionia and then harmonia and BAM!!! now my sexy LG Optimus V is by my side once again atleast thats what i remember doing...its been a while took 27 hours of searching these forums to find a solution and it still took a butt load of luck thank god it worked or i would have to go back to using the samsung intercept
    08-02-2011 01:55 PM
    Thanks for opening my eye's to more possibilities with ROM Manager. Sorry that I made it seem like It was the DEV of the app that was at fault. I know that there are many things that can cause an app not to work properly. Developers of ROM's can be one of them(inexperience is another).I did use(and still occasionally do) ROM Manager to flash the new CWMod recovery 3.2.0.1 and have had no problem with doing that. I also remember now(your memory is the first to go when near 50) using the fix permission option with no problems.Plus it works great for deleting backups. It does have some great potential. Right now though it just isn't a good idea to flash any ROM that is for the Optimus "V" from the app. Bad things can happen to the "V".
    The thing with Rom Manager used to flash roms is the gapps. If the rom is fully packaged with gapps Rom Manager is great. You select the wipe options and back-up rom option and then walk away for a bit. Truly Rom Manager is nice for people that flash roms daily or weekly. However it has its flaws for initial install of GB roms without packaged gapps.

I understand memory is the first to go when getting older. I have **** poor short term memory but ask me about something two weeks later and I will remember almost perfect lol.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    08-02-2011 02:05 PM
    Just FYI, I just used ROM Manager to flash the clockworkmod recovery the first time, then never needed it since. I can delete old backups too with any file manager, it's in /sdcard/clockworkmod/ path.
    08-02-2011 02:22 PM
    No news from the OP yet? Im just wondering if they were able to get their phone back in order.
    08-02-2011 03:35 PM
    Just FYI, I just used ROM Manager to flash the clockworkmod recovery the first time, then never needed it since. I can delete old backups too with any file manager, it's in /sdcard/clockworkmod/ path.
    The cool thing with rom manager is you can rename them and it will updae the md5 to reflect that. I will go in and rename them the rom name and date of backup so I can keep tract of what is what.

Now I normally keep one back up a month and delete everything or transfer it to my pc. That is something I dont see recommended enough is transferring your backups to your pc. I have my original nanadroid saved to my pc, my portable, and on the web so it available even if my pc crashes.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    08-02-2011 04:20 PM
    Hey thanks for that tip. I seem to be blind in one,an cant see out the other. It was right there in front of me every time I went to delete a backup. I guess I was so focused on the task at hand,I couldn't see the forest for the trees.
    08-03-2011 03:46 PM
    The cool thing with rom manager is you can rename them and it will updae the md5 to reflect that. I will go in and rename them the rom name and date of backup so I can keep tract of what is what.

Now I normally keep one back up a month and delete everything or transfer it to my pc. That is something I dont see recommended enough is transferring your backups to your pc. I have my original nanadroid saved to my pc, my portable, and on the web so it available even if my pc crashes.
    I wonder if the cause of some people's 'MD5 mismatch' error when trying to restore a ROM is because they renamed it using a file manager or something else that doesn't update the MD5 hash like ROM Manager does.
    08-03-2011 04:03 PM
    I wonder if the cause of some people's 'MD5 mismatch' error when trying to restore a ROM is because they renamed it using a file manager or something else that doesn't update the MD5 hash like ROM Manager does.
    Im almost positive that is the problem. I had a issue and it boiled down to me renaming it via root explorer. Luckily I had a backed up version on my pc.
    08-03-2011 04:16 PM
    Fixed it back a while ago. Thanks to all of you.
    08-16-2011 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD