Stupid question but what's the benefit past a rooted VM ?

Tacular Z

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What's the benefit of changing the rom on the optimus v?
Once you have SU that's all you really need right?

No. Not if you want the full potential out of your phone. Want better battery life and performance? Get a ROM. What something you can brag to your friends about? Get a ROM. Want to do something that will make you feel good afterwards? Get a ROM. That answer your question?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
a 3rd party custom ROM of android offers features and possibilities you will NEVER EVER EVER get from the stock rom.

CyanogenMod 7 for the most part isnt just 2.3.4 Gingerbread for our phone, its a totally custom super bad ass version of stock android that gives you all of stock Gingerbreads wonderful features, along with some new stuff no stock android phone has.

like when you pull down the notification shade, right at the top you can have custom buttons to change everything, toggle wifi, gps, airplane mode, brightness, volume, sound profile. it really makes a world of difference than having a widget or going into the menus.

also, a custom rom will let you enable features of android that arent enabled in the stock rom. like hardware acceleration for the desktop environment, making the entire UI feel smoother and faster. also you can overclock the cpu. some phones go faster than others but in general you should be able to go from 600MHz to at LEAST 780Mhz or so, with the majority of phones being able to go higher than that, makes a noticable difference in all apps.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you decide to install a CM7-IHO ROM, which is the only logical choice as they have all the big ticket items fixed, then you will have to use Clock
workMod recovery v3.2.0.1. , Xionia_cwma_12518.4 although great for Froyo based ROM's doesn't seem to be able to do a thorough enough job wiping and formatting(wiping). It does have the fix recovery loop option in the Advanced section,but can't seem to wipe good enough for the new CM7-IHO ROM's causing force closures and freezes,and random rebooting ROM behavior due to residual data from the last ROM,as well as WiFi and 3G connectivity issues,and market glitches. Also it's best if you want to flash a theme with a ROM that you wait till you have a couple of reboots of a new ROM before doing so.

Last edited:

Link2999

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My battery life on my phone shot up so much more after I flashed it with the Backside IHO Rom. While my old battery would drain 100% on airplane mode and the screen off in 3 hours, the new ROM lets the battery only drain 10% per day.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My battery life on my phone shot up so much more after I flashed it with the Backside IHO Rom. While my old battery would drain 100% on airplane mode and the screen off in 3 hours, the new ROM lets the battery only drain 10% per day.

lol, that's quite a difference. Probably not all ROM related, even in IHO/CM7.1 if there's a misbehaving app installed, it could drain the battery fast too (if it locks CPU awake, or syncs too much using 3G data in the background). But it's good to know that IHO/CM7.1 cleanly installed doesn't drain much itself.

huchman

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
a 3rd party custom ROM of android offers features and possibilities you will NEVER EVER EVER get from the stock rom.

CyanogenMod 7 for the most part isnt just 2.3.4 Gingerbread for our phone, its a totally custom super bad ass version of stock android that gives you all of stock Gingerbreads wonderful features, along with some new stuff no stock android phone has.

like when you pull down the notification shade, right at the top you can have custom buttons to change everything, toggle wifi, gps, airplane mode, brightness, volume, sound profile. it really makes a world of difference than having a widget or going into the menus.

also, a custom rom will let you enable features of android that arent enabled in the stock rom. like hardware acceleration for the desktop environment, making the entire UI feel smoother and faster. also you can overclock the cpu. some phones go faster than others but in general you should be able to go from 600MHz to at LEAST 780Mhz or so, with the majority of phones being able to go higher than that, makes a noticable difference in all apps.

What launcher is that in your screenshot?