Stuck in CWM recovery. -Without root

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Alrighty,

I've searched for answers to my problem, but it seems as though anyone else who made this mistake at least had root.

I hardly know what I am doing.. and anything I achieved (in regards to rooting & flashing) was simply by luck.

I can't really remember all that I did but it went something like this...

-I rooted my LG Optimus V using Gingerbreak.apk.

-I Installed ROM Manager from market

-Flashed ClockworkMod Recovery (Which came with Rom Manager (I think))

-Made a backup

-I downloaded a CM7 ROM & GAPPS to my SD Card

-Booted into recovery

-I successfully flashed CM7 & GAPPS.

-Decided I didn't like the ROM after 10 minutes

-Went back to recovery and restored my back up

-I unrooted using gingerbreak --->This is where I think I may have made the biggest boo-boo.<---

-Realizing that none of this rooting or flashing was for me I decided to factory data reset. Thinking it would just bring it back to it's "out of the box" state...

Now I'm stuck in recovery, and can't restore my back-up. I think it may be because I removed root. I don't know.

Also, on my SD card I still have the CM7 and Gapps zip folders.. but they wont flash.

-Suggestions?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried these steps courtesy of Eollie from another thread:

Pull the battery out wait 5 minutes.

Put battery back in. DONT TOUCH POWER YET.

Hold down the volume down, home and push power.
Keep them held down until you see the LG screen flash on and then off.
Release the buttons.

This should put you in custom recovery.
Plug your phone into the computer with the usb cable
Using the volume buttons to go up and down to mounts and stoarage select it with the camera button.
Go down to mount sdcard using the camera button select that.

You should now see a pop-up on your computer asking what to do do with the new drive.
Select view folder.

Now download this file.
Xionia_CWMA_12518.4_VM_Recovery.zip

Once you get it downloaded DO NOT UNZIP IT.
Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
No back on the phone select unmount sdcard.

Use the back key to go back to the main screen, on it you should see a option to flash zip from sdcard.
Select it, then choose zip from sdcard choose that.
It will open your sdcard up, scroll down until you see the zip you downloaded and transfered to you sdcard.

Select it. You will be prompted with are you really sure. Select yes.

Go to the main menu again. Scroll to advanced then select reboot recovery.
It should reboot to the new recovery.

In the xionna recovery there is a option to fix bootloop. Select that and wait till its done. then reboot your phone.

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I still can't get anything to work... Maybe USB debugging is also disabled?

Would that make a difference?

edit:

Nevemrind, I tried the Xionia route, and it got me out of loop! :D

But, now i am using CM7 again and would like to return to stock. Should I now follow through with the "return to stock" post? Or is there something else i should do before hand?

Last edited:

fineboi2009

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Release the buttons.

Using the volume buttons to go up and down to mounts and stoarage select it with the camera button.

You should now see a pop-up on your computer asking what to do do with the new drive.
Select view folder.

so i did all that my phone is stuck in a loop i cant get out the loop i tried reseting it restoring the back up still nothing and now i plug my phone in it makes some weird noise on the pc but it doesnt show up somebody please help!

fineboi2009

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Release the buttons.

Select view folder.

so i did all that my phone is stuck in a loop i cant get out the loop i tried reseting it restoring the back up still nothing and now i plug my phone in it makes some weird noise on the pc but it doesnt show up somebody please help!

donboy71

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hell yes that worked for me! Optimus V stuck in recovery (Thunderc) now back to factory. Will update in a few days and let ya'll know how it's going!

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Release the buttons.

Select view folder.

Now download this file.
Xionia_CWMA_12518.4_VM_Recovery.zip

Once you get it downloaded DO NOT UNZIP IT.
Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
No back on the phone select unmount sdcard.

Use the back key to go back to the main screen, on it you should see a option to flash zip from sdcard.
Select it, then choose zip from sdcard choose that.
It will open your sdcard up, scroll down until you see the zip you downloaded and transfered to you sdcard.

Select it. You will be prompted with are you really sure. Select yes.

Go to the main menu again. Scroll to advanced then select reboot recovery.
It should reboot to the new recovery.

In the xionna recovery there is a option to fix bootloop. Select that and wait till its done. then reboot your phone.

I started scrolling through everything, and I found this, can I just flash this in recovery and it will be my new recovery? I'm using the thunderc recovery by Zefie atm. And I know this thread I old... but feedback is welcome. :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I started scrolling through everything, and I found this, can I just flash this in recovery and it will be my new recovery? I'm using the thunderc recovery by Zefie atm. And I know this thread I old... but feedback is welcome. :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Yes, that should work.

Quoros

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks whyzor that fixed my phone... Not sure what happened but did a factory reset and got stuck in recovery loop.. Working again. Thanks again for the steps to fix

jezzie bumatay

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
any other options if i cant flash Xionia because the device turns off after 2 sec in the recovery loop then back on again to lg logo for a few sec then back to the recovery again then off and on again... have to take the battery out to stop the loop.. this loop happens on optimus elite btw i didnt know not to factory reset from the settings. i have a nandroid back up but no way of restoring it not even through adb because of it turning on and off in the loop. did some research and somehow keep ending on this page. can someone help? or at least point me to the right direction?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
any other options if i cant flash Xionia because the device turns off after 2 sec in the recovery loop then back on again to lg logo for a few sec then back to the recovery again then off and on again... have to take the battery out to stop the loop.. this loop happens on optimus elite btw i didnt know not to factory reset from the settings. i have a nandroid back up but no way of restoring it not even through adb because of it turning on and off in the loop. did some research and somehow keep ending on this page. can someone help? or at least point me to the right direction?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...break-factory-reset-bootloop-wiping-mtd8.html

Last edited:

jezzie bumatay

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Thnx bigsupersquid for the response, however, i only get 1 of two results ...
1. device not found
2. /sbin/sh: flash_eraseall: not found
/sbin/sh: adb: not found

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ah, I forgot, flash_eraseall is only included in xionia recovery itself.
wait. I'll try to find it.
get flash_eraseall <here>
put it in the same directory as adb.
copy and paste this whole block of code in your command prompt instead of the one in the other thread:
Code:
adb wait-for-device
adb push flash_eraseall /sbin/
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb reboot recovery
let me know if it works.

Last edited: