01-30-2012 02:39 AM
30 12
tools
    i have used a few task killers and when im on the aosp rom it seems like they never kill task. can any of you tell me wich is the best task killer for for aosp.
    08-19-2011 01:44 PM
    don't use one. Just uninstall the app that's causing problems until the dev fixes it.
    08-19-2011 02:54 PM
    I use ATK and it works really well. I manually kill tasks that dont restart themselves when im about to leave my phone on standby or when my memory is low. If you want to stop apps from starting up at boot and during normal use get Autorun Manager and disable the apps' receivers.
    08-19-2011 03:32 PM
    Gemni manager lets you edit the ' boot auto run' so that it doesnt start in the first place. Also a great task killer !
    kalena likes this.
    08-19-2011 03:45 PM
    On a non-rooted rom, task killers can be beneficial, in a roooted system, there is little point. Remove any miss-behaving apps and be done with it.
    08-19-2011 04:57 PM
    I use app watchdog, its not an auto killer, but it alerts you if an app goes crazy
    notufatjesus and clodfelterac like this.
    08-19-2011 06:53 PM
    why bother on CM7. gingerbread does this well enough on its own.

and you can set it to kill any app by long pressing the Back button.

also if there is an app that is hogging the ram or cpu, its the fault of the app and you really are better off uninstalling it rather than setting another app to kill it often. that just uses even MORE resources and you end up with no gain.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    08-19-2011 07:21 PM
    Task killers can actually give you worse battery life.

As LeslieAnn says, if you are on a stock ROM, task killers can be helpful, since they can keep the bloatware from running. If you are on a custom ROM, especially a Gingerbread ROM, task killers are irrelevant. They can make battery life worse by killing apps that will then try to start themselves again, causing a never ending cycle of kill/restart/kill/restart/kill/restart.....
    08-20-2011 02:27 AM
    Even on a stock rom task killers are crap. They screw up your phone, make use loose battery faster, make you miss texts, Calender alerts etc. Task killer are BAD.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-20-2011 03:21 AM
    08-20-2011 03:23 AM
    I develop Android apps so I though I'd explain why a task killer isn't needed on an Android system.

Activities
    Android apps use activites to preform tasks. For example, if you use a file manager to send a picture via email, the file manager calls the send activity within an email app, passes the file name to it and the email app sends the picture.. not the file manager. This will result in seeing the email app as "running" even though the user didn't actually launch that email app.

Smaller apps
    Using activites helps developers design smaller apps. A file manager app that contains every bit of code needed to do everything a file manager does would likely be so large that no one would want to install it. Developers know that an android phone more than likely has an email app so there is no need for the developer to include email code in his/her file manager to send a picture when he/she can call an activity in an existing email app to do the job. This results in a smaller file manager app since there is no need to include email code or any other code for an activity that can be done via an app that is already present on the phone. This also alleviates redundant code. When you install an app outside of the android market, also known as sideloading, the file manager app calls the package installer (already present in Android) to install the requested app.

Running apps vs. cached apps
    The "Manage Applications" list included in many android devices lists running apps as well as cached apps. Cached apps don't use any CPU or battery, they're cached so they will load faster the next time you need them. Killing cached apps results in those apps requiring more time to load the next time they are launched.

System management
    By default, every android application runs in its own Linux process. Android starts the process when any of the application
    08-20-2011 03:26 AM
    For some reason tapatalk wont let me post the whole thing. View it all from the link i posted.

---
    - Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
    08-20-2011 03:28 AM
    Don't let Koopa scare u into not using a task killer. Task killers are tools and like all tools they can be misused. The program itself is not malicious and can be useful. It is true that 2.2 and 2.3 have many functions that reduce the need of a task killer and is not something u should be using all the time just to stop things from running because most of the time the process is running for a reason. Be it for another process or as mentioned before is being cached. There are a few times where u might want to stop a task because it glitched or corrupt.

Example:

I run droidwall and some times I will try to use an app that is blocked but I forgot and it just sits stuck. Even tho I back out and disable the droidwall then go back to the app most apps don't figure out that the droidwall was disabled and still sit stuck. Killing this task and restarting is all that fixes it. Yes u can just long press the back key to kill foreground tasks but sometimes the task needing to be killed is not always running in the foreground.

I agree with most u don't "need" a task killer and setting a task killer to "auto kill" anything is not good bc it will drain ur battery faster and can glitch other tasks.

The main idea I am trying to get across is the use of a tool dictates its usefulness. Just because a person with a hammer can destroy his phone doesn't in turn mean u shouldn't own a hammer just don't use it wrong.
    notown likes this.
    08-20-2011 01:00 PM
    Don't let Koopa scare u into not using a task killer. Task killers are tools and like all tools they can be misused. The program itself is not malicious and can be useful. It is true that 2.2 and 2.3 have many functions that reduce the need of a task killer and is not something u should be using all the time just to stop things from running because most of the time the process is running for a reason. Be it for another process or as mentioned before is being cached. There are a few times where u might want to stop a task because it glitched or corrupt.

Example:

I run droidwall and some times I will try to use an app that is blocked but I forgot and it just sits stuck. Even tho I back out and disable the droidwall then go back to the app most apps don't figure out that the droidwall was disabled and still sit stuck. Killing this task and restarting is all that fixes it. Yes u can just long press the back key to kill foreground tasks but sometimes the task needing to be killed is not always running in the foreground.

I agree with most u don't "need" a task killer and setting a task killer to "auto kill" anything is not good bc it will drain ur battery faster and can glitch other tasks.

The main idea I am trying to get across is the use of a tool dictates its usefulness. Just because a person with a hammer can destroy his phone doesn't in turn mean u shouldn't own a hammer just don't use it wrong.
    You can use Android's built-in task killer by going to Settings - Manage Applications - Installed or Downloaded or Services tab. Press the app, then force close button. No need to install separate ATK.
    JerryScript likes this.
    08-20-2011 01:24 PM
    You can use Android's built-in task killer by going to Settings - Manage Applications - Installed or Downloaded or Services tab. Press the app, then force close button. No need to install separate ATK.
    ATK saves time though.
    08-20-2011 01:57 PM
    ATK saves time though.
    Create a shortcut to 'Settings - Manage Applications' in the home screen. Then it's 3 button presses to kill a background app. Or 2 button presses for foreground apps (launch it, then hold back button). Every time you install an unnecessary app, you bog down the system's memory, space, & CPU time.
    JerryScript likes this.
    08-20-2011 03:05 PM
    You only need two button presses to kill all apps with Atk. You should only kill apps that dont restart and ignore those that do. I only kill apps manually when im about to leave my phone on standby. That shouldnt do any harm. If you want apps not to start up again use Autorun Manager and disable the apps recievers. Both apps are a great combination and will give you better battery life and more ram.
    08-20-2011 03:17 PM

Example:

I agree. Id also like to add that the stock android doesnt "kill these apps" at least not forever.

Its been many times now that i "closed" an app ( via a store manager or stock man ) only to come back to see the app running in the background, yet again.

But thanks to apps like the gemni app man (needs root ) i get to toggle the "auto run" permissions on these apps.

Now, I get a faster boot and the apps run only when i want them to. Yahoo, netflix, amazon, maps just to name a few ... all of these run on boot and stay running forever, even when you dont need them. With gemni lets me edit when they run and if i want them to run at all..

BTW im getting about 1 day & 1/2 on my battery with my use. Which consists mostly txting, games, wifi and apps. I dont talk much on my phone :P
    zedorda and kalena like this.
    08-20-2011 03:28 PM
    I agree. Id also like to add that the stock android doesnt "kill these apps" at least not forever.

Its been many times now that i "closed" an app ( via a store manager or stock man ) only to come back to see the app running in the background, yet again.

But thanks to apps like the gemni app man (needs root ) i get to toggle the "auto run" permissions on these apps.

Now, I get a faster boot and the apps run only when i want them to. Yahoo, netflix, amazon, maps just to name a few ... all of these run on boot and stay running forever, even when you dont need them. With gemni lets me edit when they run and if i want them to run at all..

BTW im getting about 1 day & 1/2 on my battery with my use. Which consists mostly txting, games, wifi and apps. I dont talk much on my phone :P
    Just because a task killer says that it is running it does not mean that it is actually running. It is CACHED or is needed by some other app. For example almost every app that uses you GPS location uses Google maps instead of the dev having to code the map function into the app he can just use Google maps but it is only running while it is in use. Cached apps do not do anything bad and use no battery. Free ram is wasted ram.

JerryScript likes this.
    08-20-2011 06:10 PM
    You only need two button presses to kill all apps with Atk. You should only kill apps that dont restart and ignore those that do. I only kill apps manually when im about to leave my phone on standby. That shouldnt do any harm. If you want apps not to start up again use Autorun Manager and disable the apps recievers. Both apps are a great combination and will give you better battery life and more ram.
    Killing something and force stopping are not the same. Force stopping will help you more than a task killer due to the way they have to be coded to try and get around things that Google has put in android. Force stopping is built into android and actually can help you out if you have an app that glitches up. The example you describe does not apply to most everyone. Your apps mess up due to conflicts with droidwall and the react in the same way that they would if you deny a needed permission. Normal users should not use task killers and even in your situation force stopping would be a better option.

JerryScript likes this.
    08-20-2011 06:20 PM
    Are there any apps that can force stop running apps? I think it takes up too much time to go into every single app and force stop it.
    08-20-2011 09:18 PM
    No offense intended to anyone here, but please, listen to the voices of experience, you might just learn something!
    mustafu likes this.
    08-20-2011 10:30 PM
    Ive been preaching this same story over and over and over.

People stop buying into the atk kool-aide. Seriously, atk was designed when android first hit the market because there was no option to kill running tasks or the likes in the early versions of android OS. In 2.2 the manage apps function was added and the way it works is much safer for your device. Plus as many people have said its less likely to create more issues by closing something that will have to restart.

As Jerry said there are some intelligent people here stop and listen. Spit out the atk kool-aide and be happy.
    08-21-2011 03:44 AM
    thanks all to your replies ive read most of them and kinda understand what u are saying. when i let my phone sit for some time after killing all apps i will tern it on and have settings, maps, google sercives all open and i did nothing to open them keep in mind i uninstall all apps i dont need my phone is the basic aosp almost always taking back to flash i just need a way to kill apps i never use unless i need them.
    08-22-2011 11:39 PM
    thanks all to your replies ive read most of them and kinda understand what u are saying. when i let my phone sit for some time after killing all apps i will tern it on and have settings, maps, google sercives all open and i did nothing to open them keep in mind i uninstall all apps i dont need my phone is the basic aosp almost always taking back to flash i just need a way to kill apps i never use unless i need them.
    Is it really that hard to get it into your head? IT DOES NOT MATTER. Android takes care of itself leave it alone. Google services sometimes check back to Google for info, bug reports, usage patterns etc. You do not need your ram to be unused. As I have said many times before the are not running they are CACHED when not in use so that the next time you click on that app it doesn't have to completely reload itself.

mustafu likes this.
    08-23-2011 12:46 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD