Favorite IHO rom?

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There are a decent amount of IHO roms out for the OV and i was wondering which one do you guys like or think is best. My favorite so far is harmonia. Runs very nice

narrow_minded#WN

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm running the 8/10 build of BACKside, and I refuse to update to a newer build because this one is so awesome. No noticeable bugs, and battery life rivals the Froyo Harmonia.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm running the 8/10 build of BACKside, and I refuse to update to a newer build because this one is so awesome. No noticeable bugs, and battery life rivals the Froyo Harmonia.

i feel ya man! same problem here. I have the 8/20 on a SD card ready to flash but I cant think of any decent reason. I also really REALLY want to try harmonia GB but this rom is way way way too good to even leave for a bit.

especially after the v6 supercharger script. this rom is way too fast and stable and the battery life is amazing.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i feel ya man! same problem here. I have the 8/20 on a SD card ready to flash but I cant think of any decent reason. I also really REALLY want to try harmonia GB but this rom is way way way too good to even leave for a bit.

especially after the v6 supercharger script. this rom is way too fast and stable and the battery life is amazing.

I didnt know backside ran the V6 supercharger script I thought only BobZhome had it.

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
personally, after I remove the bloat, any of them look the same to me. I think the concept of having so many IHO variants is kinda dumb. They're mainly people wanting to brand it for an ego boost (save for the purists). Instead, I wish people would look into kernel tweaks and improving the actual code in the ROM.

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
personally, after I remove the bloat, any of them look the same to me. I think the concept of having so many IHO variants is kinda dumb. They're mainly people wanting to brand it for an ego boost (save for the purists). Instead, I wish people would look into kernel tweaks and improving the actual code in the ROM.

this is very true. another reason im not willing to try another, the one i have now works for me.

i would very much like to see a completely stock gingerbread rom that is totally unbranded. has the official boot up animation, official ringtones, stock wallpapers. no custom launcher. but still has the CM7 settings baked in. thats all i really truly want. i should try building that

Anonymo

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
this is very true. another reason im not willing to try another, the one i have now works for me.

i would very much like to see a completely stock gingerbread rom that is totally unbranded. has the official boot up animation, official ringtones, stock wallpapers. no custom launcher. but still has the CM7 settings baked in. thats all i really truly want. i should try building that

Aren't those the pure builds?

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Try my poo remover. it wipes quite a bit
Anonymo I think he means more stock than even what cyanogenmod has because they too add a bit of branding though I haven't concentrated on removing it

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Because"
A. The system is quite well tweaked already after so many people and time having been spent on it.
B. Even if you do, chances are you won't get much out of it.
C. Most can't add those tweaks, they simply lack the knowledge.

As far as B. goes, yes, there are some things you can do. However, you aren't comparing a stock kernel to say Harmonia or Bumblebee. Harmonia and Bumblebee get a lot of their speed simply by freeing up memory and cpu cycles from bloat. Run a few speed tests between stock, BB and Harmonia without overclocking. The difference between stock and the other two will be decent, but the difference between Harmonia and BB will be minimal. BB's creator spent a LOT of effort trying to maximize speed, but there is only so much to be found.

Even then, if they all start using that, and a minimal tweak elsewhere, you are still right back where you started with them all being the same aren't you.

The difference between kernel tweaks on a CM7 rom will likely be about the same as Harmonia vs BB. A lot of work, for little gain. Yes, I get it that the V6 script works well for some, some also claim it did nothing for them. I haven't tried it yet, but I think a lot is wishful thinking. It probably works, but to what degree.

I admit, I struggled with building a different CM7 build. Bobz is actually almost exactly what I was after. It wasn't until I got going on the project that I finally started settling on how it would be different. Each will slowly start developing a more defined personality, but going back to BB and Harmonia, you have the same situation really. Think about it, how different is Aphrodite, Stock + Xionia, and Rodimus? Rodimus is themed, Aphrodite is more stripped. How different is BB from Harmonia? Not a whole lot in many aspects. How about the other cm7 roms? Not much once you ignore the flaws.

The roms will get their own identities as they move forward and things settle in, but don't expect anything major. CM7 is pretty well tweaked, most people lack the ability, and most of all, you have no idea how much effort it takes to do it all. Look how many people are involved with Reborn. It still burned out fast. For one person to do all of that, by the time you get even half that work done, you are three revisions behind.

Harmonia 2.0b has about 10 hours of work invested.That was 10 hours AFTER the rom was compiled the first time and I knew I had one that worked. Then you have support issues. And people wonder why rom devs don't stick around and why you see so many pure builds? IHO changes too fast for a ton of changes to be built into it.

I actually started building exactly that and ended up evolving it into Harmonia 2.0.

The stock launcher is crap and I refuse to install Anthem. Many people DESPISE that sound.

Stock wallpaper ICK! Who really runs the stock wallpaper? That is one of the first and most basic customizations people do on their phone.

As for the boot animation, I couldn't wait to be rid of that. Besides, why use a boot animation? You see it only when you restart and while neat to look at, it is slowing down your boot. Why not let the phone boot faster so you can get back to doing what you were doing. Do you like watching Windows load screens too?

Sounds, are meh. Many change their ringtone, but the rest, I think they just use whatever is there.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with LeslieAnn this has been tweaked to a point of the only problems we get are from CM7 changes. The only thing really left that needs to be addressed is the fact some new phones are sporting the newer opimus s drivers for the screen and the kernel isnt compatible with it.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually started building exactly that and ended up evolving it into Harmonia 2.0.

The stock launcher is crap and I refuse to install Anthem. Many people DESPISE that sound.

Stock wallpaper ICK! Who really runs the stock wallpaper? That is one of the first and most basic customizations people do on their phone.

As for the boot animation, I couldn't wait to be rid of that. Besides, why use a boot animation? You see it only when you restart and while neat to look at, it is slowing down your boot. Why not let the phone boot faster so you can get back to doing what you were doing. Do you like watching Windows load screens too?

Sounds, are meh. Many change their ringtone, but the rest, I think they just use whatever is there.

i am only suggesting that id be nice to have a ROM that is as stock of android 2.3.5 as you can possibly get, while having the nifty CM7 settings.

i didnt say I, or anyone else, would be using the stock ringtones and wallpapers. but having the OPTION of a "stock android" gingerbread rom, would be nice. no preloaded launcher or apps that the rom builder thought should be included, and keeping the stuff that they took on themselves to exclude

but if your going to build the rom your going to build what you think is a good rom and thats what its all going to boil down to.

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Because"
A. The system is quite well tweaked already after so many people and time having been spent on it.
B. Even if you do, chances are you won't get much out of it.
C. Most can't add those tweaks, they simply lack the knowledge.
If you believe in one tweak then you have to consider that there are others out there and you have to admit that looking at just the ROM packaging as a whole is tweakable and customizable the kernel could have as much attention and more. I mean, the kernel is well over 1 million lines of code. While most of the that code is simply dormant in a device because it doesn't use every driver available, for example, it was still designed to cover a wide range of hardware and may not be perfect for each purpose.

I'm just sayin' there's always something to look at and I'd admit as well that it's impossible to critique it all in anyone's lifetime. The fact that someone can take Windows 98 down to 9MB and boot it in 3-10 seconds makes me think there's plenty to play with on an open source kernel.

Forgive me though because I'm a dreamer more than I am a doer:). My next step is to see if I can compile that Franco kernel I've mentioned in other threads and then attempt to do something with it on our phone.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you believe in one tweak then you have to consider that there are others out there and you have to admit that looking at just the ROM packaging as a whole is tweakable and customizable the kernel could have as much attention and more. I mean, the kernel is well over 1 million lines of code. While most of the that code is simply dormant in a device because it doesn't use every driver available, for example, it was still designed to cover a wide range of hardware and may not be perfect for each purpose.

I'm just sayin' there's always something to look at and I'd admit as well that it's impossible to critique it all in anyone's lifetime. The fact that someone can take Windows 98 down to 9MB and boot it in 3-10 seconds makes me think there's plenty to play with on an open source kernel.

Forgive me though because I'm a dreamer more than I am a doer:). My next step is to see if I can compile that Franco kernel I've mentioned in other threads and then attempt to do something with it on our phone.

I never said it can't be improved, I said most can't do it. Those who can, even they don't expect any major breakthrough. While there is lots of code, there is only so much you can do.

If you want to work on the kernel, GREAT! Really! Just don't expect it to be a defining characteristic on your rom. Within a week or two, all of the others will figure out how and they all will have it on their roms.

As for that 9 meg win98, that is for a purpose built, embedded system. it's no mystery. It's a heavily stripped down and purpose built Win98 (don't need networking, remove it!). Try loading that on a normal desktop and see how badly it chokes. Beyond around 45 megs (yes, I have done it) you start seeing all sorts of issues crop up here or there under normal use. From their own page "Each Embedded Windows variant has its pros and cons." Which is exactly why there are tons of videos on Youtube of super fast booting Windows and Linux computers, and yet we never seem to see them in the real world. Don't you think if MS or Linux devs could boot up every system in 10 seconds or less that they wouldn't issue a patch to do so?

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
As far as B. goes, yes, there are some things you can do. However, you aren't comparing a stock kernel to say Harmonia or Bumblebee. Harmonia and Bumblebee get a lot of their speed simply by freeing up memory and cpu cycles from bloat.

BB is overclocked by default, the IHO kernel is not. That will make a difference, especially at boot time. Also things like running dexopt before packaging the ROM will make a difference. It took Apple quite a bit of methodical effort to get the OSX boot time as fast as it is. And Apple had the ultimate authority to rejigger how their boot sequence works.

With Android that power lies with Google. While TI and Qualcomm have made efforts, the work is mostly about finding a more appropriate tradeoff rather than finding a better way to do things. Qualcomm started shoving things in the after the interface is loaded queue leading to faster "boot" times and longer periods of sluggish response to user inputs. In the end I expect that the whole init sequence will need to be reworked for any significant gains.

Reactions: notserpmh

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
hmm, I am currently using bobzhome version of cm7
I prefer the cm7modsettings options and bobzhome has a choice for status bar changes
like a numeric battery bar. I think it runs better then the other versions.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
hmm, I am currently using bobzhome version of cm7
I prefer the cm7modsettings options and bobzhome has a choice for status bar changes
like a numeric battery bar. I think it runs better then the other versions.

They all have that.