[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
okay this morning i have some patience so I'm going to try. i have the sdk and the platform tools and i know how to get to adb. but how can i tell if my device is connected? i plugged it in and pressed the buttons for it to go into recovery but none of the commands i type are 'found'. so I am not sure. i also downloaded the xionia recovery and flash image to my computer but if i can't access my phone i can't put them on.

sorry guys i know I'm such a n00b at this. rooting was easy, roms apparently are not.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
there is a bobz rom already on the sd card, should i remove it? and if i copy everything to the sd card, when i out it back in the phone i just have to boot into recovery? i've about given up on this mac because no matter what it won't recognize the phone it always says 'command not found'

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
command not found means that you need to navigate to the sdk's platform-tools directory in the terminal before trying to use adb.
if you get "device not present" or "device not recognized" then adb can't talk to the phone.
you can let it boot into the ROM if it gets to the animation, to use adb, if recovery won't talk to adb.
and, if you had a running cm7, flash_image is built in, that'll simplify things if the rom boots far enough to use adb.
you'd just need the recovery .img on the card in that case.
no need to remove the rom.
you can try reflashing it once the recovery is working, just be sure to format boot, cache, data, and system in recovery before trying to install any rom .zip

Last edited:

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
the platform tools folder is in the same as the adb as well as the recovery and lg drivers but it still won't work, even when just turning the phone on. once it goes through the loop, i can press the camera button, and it'll just do it again. every time it says command not found

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
on the mac, in your terminal, if you type
ls
does it list adb?
and, if the camera button reboots while you're in recovery, the recovery is working, just can't display on screen.

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
no this is what came up.

Last login: Tue Oct 18 12:57:33 on ttys000
host-173-230-5-59:~ feldhckygurl$ ls
Desktop Library Music Sites
Documents License.pdf Pictures hwuuid.txt
Downloads Movies Public results.html
host-173-230-5-59:~ feldhckygurl$

im assuming i need to move something somewhere?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you need to
cd <path>
to whereever adb is located on your Mac, replace <path> with the actual path.
I don't have a working mac to walk through this on, so you'll need patience.
maybe you can open the terminal right in the platform-tools folder, that's easier than finding and typing the path if you can open terminal in the right spot.
edit;
you could also copy adb to ~ feldhckygurl and run it from there, if it doesn't need other files to run.

613M0

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello I'm having problems flashing roms, anybody who can help I rooted my LG optimus V with Gingerbreak but every time I either try to flash a diff. ROM or do a nandroid backup on ROM Manager it shows a "bricked screen" but when I take the battery out & restart the phone it goes back to normal (obviously still rooted). I've tried flashing many diff ROM's and nothing or repetition of ^^^^. On top of that I can't even change the boot animation with root apps that claim to do such things (ROM Toolbox by Jrummy16) amongst other dev's. So yeah anybody have an Idea why? or what can I do to fix this? I'm not so tech savvy so if possible chronological order fixes would be helpful. If you need specific info like (I'm guessing: script, file info, etc) email and I'll respond thanks.;)

rannug

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
okay i got my hands on an sd card reader, and i put the recovery on there but its still blank. is there a specific recovery? i removed the rom but it still wont work just boot loop

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
okay i got my hands on an sd card reader, and i put the recovery on there but its still blank. is there a specific recovery? i removed the rom but it still wont work just boot loop

you can use any recovery from the first post.
Which one depends on which ROM you want to install.
Use the newest IHO recovery for an IHO ROM, maybe use Xionia if you're interested in installing older ROMs like maybe Bumblebee with Picasticks kernel flashed over it...
When you say put the recovery on there, you mean the card, or successfully flashed it into the phone with adb?
Did you get ADB working in the terminal? You'll need it.
Sorry about the delay, family tends to be a bit distracting.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
omg this is all foreign language to me. is there any way you can put this into lamens terms for me so i can follow the necessary steps to be able to use my phone again??

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
sorry, can't simplify it much. it'd take a while to chop it down further.
you still have a working rom or are you just lg logo and black screen? with a working rom you can use terminal emulator to flash a recovery from the first post. relatively easy.
if your rom and recovery are both blacked out you'll have to use adb or android screencast to reflash the recovery. not as easy.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i dont believe any roms are working at this point. i was going to update to Android 2.3.4 and i installed the 'gapps' rom first. then i went to restore my phone to factory default settings and it rebooted, went black, and stayed black. i dont know how to get into recovery mode, i cant sync the SD card to my computer from my phone (need the micro SD adapter), and the screen wont go past the LG logo.

do you have AIM so we could chat for a couple mins? if so PM me your username?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you did the factory reset, you'll have to use adb through the cable to fix it.
I don't IM on any channels, not even irc, I'm afraid. No remote desktops either.
Best I can offer is a pointer to the instructions or a direct quote from them:
mmarz said:
Have you accidentally caused your phone to go into an infinite boot loop into your recovery using LG's factory reset?
This should fix it.
try these commands with adb:

Code:
adb shell strings /dev/mtd/mtd8
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8
If nothing I said makes sense, read through this guide to learn about adb (through the root guide) and flashing recoveries.
if you get that accomplished, you'll need to install the xionia recovery from the first post through adb, and then you'll be well on your way to a working phone.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
well the data cable that connects via USB is not an option bc its not being read as an attached device by my computer. i have sdk and am TRYING to go abouts getting ADB but im running in circles. this is frustrating :-(

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you're probably using m$ windoze, then?
it's known to have issues with the drivers for the OV. I've had different pc's with windoze just stop recognizing my ov when it hadn't been attached for a while.
try uninstalling the lg drivers in device manager (you'll have to show nonpresent devices if nothing lg is visible) or 'add remove programs' maybe.
after that, unplug the phone and then reinstall the lg drivers, then try again.

BLoux89

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
well i went to my device manager and looked at every single driver and there's NO LG drivers in there at all, even after checking the option to show nonpresent devices. i dont believe its windows thats at fault here. i hear the notification when the device is plugged in via USB, but it makes a different sound than normal now. just a couple hours ago i was using it fine. i have no idea what to do here

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if it's making a connection noise, it should show up as something in device manager. probably mass storage, if you don't see lg devices.
try plugging it in with device manager open and see what pops up.
if you can't find a device to remove, unplug the phone, and go to control panel>add and remove programs and try to uninstall the lg drivers from there.
if you can't find it there either, try reinstalling the lg drivers without removing anything. then plug in the phone and see if it's recognized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy