[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hey bigsquid, do you know of any other way to flash new roms without having to flash the xionia any kernel everytime?

another way of putting the question, do you know when developers might start implementing the new optimus v screen drivers into their roms?

just curious, would love to know.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

jeremiahramon

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
bigsupersuid!!! HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!So after I put the recovery.img, flash_image, the Xionia AnyKernel zip, the keyswap zip, and your chosen ROM onto my micro sd card. I put it back in my LG Optimus V and boot it into my blank recovery screen and it will do everything for me and I'll be able to here the "Virgin Mobile" voice thing and I can use my phone again?

Thank you!!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
bigsupersuid!!! HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!So after I put the recovery.img, flash_image, the Xionia AnyKernel zip, the keyswap zip, and your chosen ROM onto my micro sd card. I put it back in my LG Optimus V and boot it into my blank recovery screen and it will do everything for me and I'll be able to here the "Virgin Mobile" voice thing and I can use my phone again?

Thank you!!
no, it won't do anything automatically.
you'll have to use adb, and follow the instructions in the first post.
make sure you don't get errors while using the adb commands.
post 'em if you do, or research them. don't reboot recovery unless all the commands completed without errors!
I'd have gotten to you sooner but my optimus is my net connection, and I bricked it HARD yesterday while messing around.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I messed up big time but I don't know.

I rooted my phone using Gingerbreak and installed super user, busybox all that good stuff, but after a few days I decided I wanted a custom ROM. So I searched around on the internet for a tutorial on how to install custom roms and I found ROM Manager. It seemed like the easiest way so I went for it. I installed Clockwork Recovery, then Loaded up the app again(I had the BACKside zip folder on my sd card) and Installed it through the app. I'm guessing this is where I went majorly wrong. When I start up my phone I hear "This phone will self-destruct in 5 seconds" and I can tell the screen is on(It is light up, the buttons are too) and if I unlock the phone where the slider would normally be I feel a vibration. Also if I boot into recovery mode (home+Vol. up+power) I don't hear "This phone will self-destruct in 5 seconds" so I think it successfully boots into recovery. Also I see the LG Splash screen each time I boot up into either mode but from then on its a black screen. So I found this thread and it seemed like the fix. I put vrecovery.img, flash_image, Keyswap.zip, Xionia AnyKernel v14.zip, and BACKside-IHO-VM670.zip on the root of my sd card. Then I open the cmd navigate to the location of adb.exe and type "adb remount". I then get some stuff about daemon(I don't remember exactly but it only happens the first time I type the command) but after that all I get is "error:device not found". If I type adb devices I get nothing under the list. One time though my computer recognized my device but when I tried the command all I got was "unknown device" or something like that. I installed the drivers for the phone(Those 3 .exe files). If I go to Devices and Printers in the Control Panel I see 5 different icons for my phone: Android Sooner Single ADB Interface, LG Android Phone, LG Android(Modem), LG Android(NMEA), LG Android(Serial). I'm running windows 7. I have JDK installed and Android SDK. I'm pretty sure I have a newer version of the phone since it was 2.2.2(I couldn't use the hotspot feature even with quick settings) I'm not sure what other information to give. Hopefully all hope isn't lost.

Thank you

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
dunno about win7. I'm using debian linux and sometimes windozexp. try uninstalling the drivers and letting them reinstall with the phone booted into recovery before plugging it in. then try adb again. if it works, you're probably fine.

i had to try several different drivers to find a set that suited my phone and allowed it to talk to adb. also had the device become unrecognizable on my daughter's computer I was borrowing for a little while.

Reactions: ShadyBusiness

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have Fedora on this computer(dual boot) and Ubuntu on another that I don't have access to today If that's somehow easier or better but I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well after re-installing some drivers from a different source I seem to get a different error

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
remount failed: Unknown error: 0

I'll try to experiment some more

EDIT:
So I ran adb devices and got the following
List of devices attached
[my serial number] recovery

So adb seems to know my device is connected

I tried running cmd as admin but no progress.

Ok I ran adb get-state and all I got was "unknown"

Oh and I also forgot to say in my other post, when I installed the BACKside ROM I made a backup, and wiped the cache and all that stuff you're supposed to do.

I fired up Android Screencast out of curiosity and I'm able to see Clockwork Recovery. But what do I do now? I see theres an option to install zip from sd card maybe this is my solution?

I'm kind of scared to do this but through android screencast I'm able to navigate through CWM. From what I understand I need to install anykernel from the zip file first then keyswap then the rom? im confused and I don't wanna do anything to risk messing up my phone even more.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
excellent progress.
another user got his fixed through screencast.
if you want to use backside, install the iho recovery zip from the first post on this thread.
you can use advanced -> reboot recovery after installing that zip and you should be able to see your screen in recovery after that.
I advise looking on iho wiki (link in first post) for a build that supports the new screen without flashing xionia any kernel or keyswap.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'm downloading IHO-Purity-X. I disabled signature check like the post said. So from what I understand I'm on CWM that I can only see through Android Screencast but with this IHO-Purity-X ROM I can install it from the zip directly through CWM(what I have now). Is this correct? I'm scared to try anything since I don't wanna mess up my phone anymore.

EDIT:
Ok so I installed the IHO-Purity-X.zip from CWM and its booting right now.

Alright It booted up and seems to work fine. Thanks for all the help man.

Now I need to find out how to Overclock my processor :D

Oh the ROM had no google apps so I installed the Gapps.zip Everything seems fine, but can anyone tell me if I can delete all the zip files and stuff off my sd card now that I'm done? They take up a lot of space.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'm downloading IHO-Purity-X. I disabled signature check like the post said. So from what I understand I'm on CWM that I can only see through Android Screencast but with this IHO-Purity-X ROM I can install it from the zip directly through CWM(what I have now). Is this correct? I'm scared to try anything since I don't wanna mess up my phone anymore.

EDIT:
Ok so I installed the IHO-Purity-X.zip from CWM and its booting right now.

Alright It booted up and seems to work fine. Thanks for all the help man.

Now I need to find out how to Overclock my processor :D

Oh the ROM had no google apps so I installed the Gapps.zip Everything seems fine, but can anyone tell me if I can delete all the zip files and stuff off my sd card now that I'm done? They take up a lot of space.

Make sure u have a good nandroid backup then u can delete the .zips but if u can its still a good idea to put them on a computer in case u need them for later.

ShadyBusiness

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright well If I understand this correctly all I have to do is launch my current recovery through android screencast and then install a compatible recovery from the first post. There are 3 though and I'm not sure which one to get and how to install it. Can someone clarify this for me?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
download the iho flashable zip. put it on sdcard.
boot into recovery, install zip, choose the iho zip.
reboot recovery (under advanced) and make a backup ASAP.

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
ok after all of the different problems im completely lost my problem with my phone is when i try regular turn on nothing happens and when i try recovery it flashes the lg splash for about half a second then goes black so right now i can not see any recovery menu or anything

and if im able to finally see the recovery menu i have an xionia recovery to fix the bootloop that it may go into along with my rom and g-apps just in case

megakid90

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
i cant get adb to recognize my phone and i have it in the "recovery" aka black screen am i doing something wrong i have all the drivers (i think) and i followed a guide on the unlockr about how to put adb on my laptop (windows xp) im only 14 and im new to all this because i used super one click then searched forums on how to flash roms and stuff. all of your help is greatly appreciated because i thought i did a full brick