[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there a setting or something that I can check on the phone to tell under About or anything? Or two phones look identical in all the settings even if they have different screens.

I bought mine earlier this summer as well at Target. Who knows how long it might have been sitting in a warehouse. heh.

Reactions: bigsupersquid
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there a setting or something that I can check on the phone to tell under About or anything? Or two phones look identical in all the settings even if they have different screens.

I bought mine earlier this summer as well at Target. Who knows how long it might have been sitting in a warehouse. heh.

if you have froyo 2.2.1 instead of 2.2.2, you have an old novatek screen for sure.
if it's got 2.2.2, it could be either one.
I'm not sure if this'll work in the stock rom, test it for me and see, and let us know. if it works I'll add it to the first post.
download terminal emulator from market.
open it...
type
Code:
dmesg | grep novatek
if you see any output other than an error, it should be a couple of lines with novatek in them; if so, you have the old screen type.
if it doesn't give you any output, or an error, type
Code:
dmesg | grep hitachi
if you see any output other than an error, it should be a couple of lines with hitachi in them; if so, you have the new screen type.

if you get an error, toolbox probably doesn't handle grep.
then try
Code:
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
then you can close the terminal.
look through dmesg.txt (on your sdcard) for hitachi or novatek, somewhat near the top of the file. whichever you find is the screen type you have.

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
grep: permission denied
write: Broken pipe

Didn't find any Hitachi references but found this:
mddi_novatek_lcd_on: started.

So that should mean I'm good to go right?
:)

Last edited:

dhaliwood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
hell squid im having some difficulties installing a recovery on my optimus v. its currently running cyangenmod 7 2.3.3. whenever i try to boot into recovery its just a black screen and have to remove my battery for it work again. ive tried using the terminal and adb shell but no luck there.
i want to restore my phone back to the way it was when i bought it because it dosnt have the android market and all the google apps. if you can help me i would appreciate it ive been up for three days trying to figure this out and its killing me!!

i have a 8gb sdhc card and its rooted.
when i go to adb shell and type the commands in to flash the recovery on the second line
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image-- it says directory not found when it clearly is on the card.
please help!

mewikime

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I need some help because I entered into the Black Screen mode on my new 2.2.2 phone while trying to flash Harmonia 1.7. I used Gingerbreak to root the phone and installed Terminal Emulator from the market.

I put flash_image and xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img on the root of the SD card, changing the name of xionia to recovery.img so it would be easier to type in the Emulator.

In Emulator I typed

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

Everything seemed to go fine. In recovery, I did
1. a nandroid backup
2. wiped cache
3. wiped dalvic cache
4. wiped data/factory reset
5. formatted boot
6. formatted system
7. formatted data
8. formatted cache
9. flashed the harmonia 1.7 zip

Everything here went okay too, when I went to "Reboot system now" I got the black screen after the LG logo.

I pulled the battery out, and I was able to reenter recovery by using the home, vol down and power button and just to try it I restored my nandroid from when I previously did a backup. Luckily my phone booted back up just fine, and I've rebooted a couple of times just to make sure it still works.

So where do I go from here with regards to flashing Harmonia 1.7? Did I use the wrong Xionia? What did I do wrong that made it enter the blackscreen mode? TIA for any help

Also, I installed busybox by Stephen (Stericson), but there's also Busybox Installer app by JRummy16. Do I need the other one, and if so, what version? What does busybox do?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
sometimes harmonia doesn't flash the boot.img right for some reason.
you can install the picasticks remix kernel zip in the first post of this thread to fix it.
download it to your card, and install the zip file from recovery like you did the rom.
that should take care of it.

Reactions: mewikime

mewikime

May 7, 2011
Visit site
sometimes harmonia doesn't flash the boot.img right for some reason.
you can install the picasticks remix kernel zip in the first post of this thread to fix it.
download it to your card, and install the zip file from recovery like you did the rom.
that should take care of it.

Thanks for replying, BSS. OK, so now that I'm currently operating stock again, I just go into recovery, wipe everything again, install Harmonia and then Picasticks remix, or Picasticks first then Harmonia? And how do I turn "signature verification" off?

And should I update from xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img to xionia_cwma_12518.6.img ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you can see the recovery, the version you're using is fine.
wipe, install harmonia, then the kernel.
the signature verification toggle is under the install zip menu in recovery.

Reactions: mewikime

mewikime

May 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, well Picasticks remix worked, after I figured out how to turn of signature verification! lol I left xionia as it was.

Thanks, BigSuperSquid! :)

StikX420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Normal Boot Seems like it wants to boot fine Boots to the Android splash screen and Goes to a black screen maybe 20 seconds after. Recovery boots lg splash screen and goes black almost immediately. When I connect it to the laptop, ADB recognizes it in the device list but says its "Offline" any ideas?:confused:

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
try adb while booted into the blacked-out recovery?
if it gets to the Android splash on a regular boot, the boot.img kernel is compatible with your screen, and it's having other problems with the rom than the kernel drivers.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ok.
Recovery: adb doesn't say device offline, it's just not recognized? The recovery flash might have been bad.
One guy I helped on xda was able to boot into his ROM but not see it, and had to use videos from youtube to find the right places to press the screen to turn on USB Debugging in Settings for adb to work. If all else fails, you might have to try that.
More questions:
Are you still on the stock rom and recovery?
You can't use adb in the stock recovery. If not, what rom and recovery were you using? Did either one ever work after flashing? Did you use (grr) the ROM manager app to install either recovery or ROM?
What happened right before your phone started not booting correctly?

StikX420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
It is on stock rom with clock work recovery. Its showing up in my adb device list but says its offline. Its my friends phone he was sending a txt when it slowed way down and shut off.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
stock rom; you'd have to have usb debugging enabled to use adb while booted into the rom. if it was working and just shut down, and won't reboot into the rom... it wants /data and /cache wiped probably. but the only way to do that is with recovery or adb.
did you ever have a working recovery on the phone (the only way to tell is to have booted into it at least once)? or was it just installed and assumed that it would work?
how was the recovery installed?
and adb says device offline, while booted into the black screen which should be recovery? or when it boots past the android logo and goes black? or both?
If the recovery didn't install right, it shouldn't recognize the phone at all while booted into the broken recovery. If it did install right, clockwork should automatically allow adb access, even if it's an older version with the wrong kernel drivers for the screen.
to see if clockwork is indeed installed and working (even though you can't see it), press the back button a few times, after it's been booted into recovery for at least one minute, then press the camera key, then the menu key, then the home key. One of those last 3 is the select button, depending on which version of clockwork is installed.
If the phone reboots after those button presses, the recovery is installed, and you just can't see it. In that case it's possible to make it wipe /data and /cache by blindly pressing the right keys in order. Should that be the case, I can probably list what order to push buttons in.