rom manager and recently built optimus v, black screen on boot

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
surely i'm not the only one seeing the recent burst of posts from users who used rom manager to flash custom recovery and rom only to end up with what looks like a bricked phone, with a black screen after the silver lg logo. some have come to the thread I started about it for help, a few of them got it fixed with zefie's xionia13 or drew's xionia redux, which include the newer sprint screen drivers.
kernels built from V source or older S source don't have them.
that's ALL the kernels built into the custom V recoveries except xionia cwma, and every custom V rom except one recent one from emuzombie, who has one of the new POS (Piece-Of-Sprint) phones in his house to see the problem personally.

if this trend continues to increase, there's going to be a lot of unhappy newbies who don't even know how to use adb (rooted with gingerbreak or something) but who can't manage to get a working recovery our rom without it.
the most innovative solution i've seen yet, one guy used Android screencast (google code) to run his recovery even with the blacked out display (his post is in the p500, v general section on xda, marked [SOLVED] now) but he still almost bricked it good due to lack of information about the problem he was having.
I would like to see this problem made more public, before all the Vs on the market get the newer screen hardware.
Any suggestions?

Reactions: antidis
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: rom manager and recently built optimus v, black screen on boo

I just sent a PM to one of the moderators asking to have your thread made into a sticky. That's about the best we can do, we can only hope that noobs will read the stickies (right ;) ).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/113762-fix-black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html

at least if it sits up top, there's a better chance of the words "black screen" catching attention.
I wish there was a better way to fix it, like a fix to rom manager for the recovery.
the xionia kernels may have reversed keys, but that wouldn't be obvious in newer versions of cwm recovery, since it selects with camera anyway... and the xionia kernels work fine with either screen type.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I too have sent pms to the Mods and reported your initial post for being super duper helpful. Its annoying when we see stuff that needs to be stickied and its just passed over. Its not like we are asking to have it stickied tot eh front of every sub forum just within the Optimus V forums.

I also wish I could help with converting the recoveries but my attempt at setting of linux this past weekend only left me wanting to chunk my laptop. I think it should be a high priority to the devs to start porting these drivers to the recovery and within the kernel itself. Lets stop trying to make the phone show up as virgin mobile in the market and make sure people arent thinking they bricked the phone. When in reality they just dont have a supported kernel.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I can easily chuck an appropriate kernel into whatever recovery people want, as long as I can get hold of the original. Since I don't use the market, no rom manager access for me.
I don't want to mod and post up whole ROMs, but I can do their boot.img's easily enough.
Someone might have to hassle koush about updating the rom manager recovery image to contain a safe kernel... I don't wanna, it's taking quite enough time just pointing people to a fix and trying to walk through the different variants.
It would also perhaps be useful for people to hassle LG about releasing the froyo 2.2.2 source and kernel, which might help out too. Again, I don't have an affected phone, and really, I just feel sorry for people getting unsupported hardware and thinking they've broken it.
At least then people will not immediately think they're bricked since recovery will at least show up on the screen.

Reactions: Eollie

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Ill be sending koush a email shortly and bugging him on twitter. Yeah its frustrating to those people and for us the community when manufacturers sell stuff like these refurbs.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Any suggestions?

I think all of the recoveries that are not compatible with the new screen should be removed from the wiki. That way we can at least avoid complete black screen both in the recovery and ROM. First principle I learned before playing around with Android is to flash recovery from working ROM and flash ROM from working recovery. It is difficult to get black screen with both recovery and ROM unless inexperienced people use adb commands from the computer.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So I have some odd news. I guess CWM doesnt support our phone. Therefore there isnt anything they can do. It is up to one of the devs to port in the proper kernel files and then submit it for "use".

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

So I have some odd news. I guess CWM doesnt support our phone. Therefore there isnt anything they can do. It is up to one of the devs to port in the proper kernel files and then submit it for "use".
too bad about cwm, that wouldn't be much of a problem if it wasn't included in rom manager.
I think rom manager is the source of most, if not all, the soft-bricking with the no display. flashing a non-working rom wouldn't be such a big deal if the "unsupported" recovery wasn't flashed by the same app, which the market says is supported for this phone.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Im not done bugging these people. Ill be pursuing this either until I get ignored or they remove the LG Optimus V from the list of phone able to install.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

bobzhome is testing something with the kernel config which might allow all the V kernels to be rebuilt without source changes. Picasticks kernel and Obijohn's Bumblebee kernel could still be used in that case if they were just rebuilt, then they could be plopped right into any ROM that normally uses them (or people could mix and match rom/kernel as usual)
that's be a cool solution, and then the main problem would be old downloads floating around.
@eollie: btw, thanks for fielding the blackscreen thread. I wanted to put it up as a public service, but it's a time eater.

@mods: Appreciate the sticky on the [FIX] thread! Hopefully that'll help newbies when their shiny new phones look bricked but aren't really. That was my original intent.

michaels90na

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Im in the same boat with the black screen after I installed harmonia 1.7 which was supposed to be compatible with the newer screen. I was having a problem w/ rom manager and wouldnt reboot into recovery and went to a black screen. I was thinking this was my problem so I used the flash image gui and it worked allowing me into recovery using the VM670NH_recovery. I erased everything correctly and installed the new ROM but it goes to lg logo then nothing. Basically ive tried puting a different rom on the sdcard through a card reader but mines not working for some reason so im outta luck. If i try to recover I get the md5 mismatch which I read was from renaming files but I didnt touch ANYTHING having to do with the recovery files. Anyways any help would be appreciated. Again, I cant boot up to anything but recovery right now. thankz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

whyzor updated his rooting sticky at the top of this forum with instructions to fix the md5 mismatch.

some users have had good luck flashing the picasticks remix anykernel zip (blackscreen post) from recovery when Harmonia won't boot. it's the same kernel, just packaged separately.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy