Newer Optimus V Phones - ROMs/Recoveries Compatibility?

isssacbourne

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all, this is pretty much just a question that im asking the various devs of current roms for the optimus v.

im an owner of one of the newer optimus v phones that are being released at the moment. as most people are probably aware by now, these "new" optimus v's have new displays/display drivers that aren't compatible with some or most of the recoveries available and also most roms that are available at the moment.

my question is, to us "newer" optimus v owners with the new display/drivers, what are we looking at in terms of this problem being resolved and being integrated into all the current roms and recoveries?

i only ask this because obviously if you guys want to continue to spread your excellent creations to the optimus v community, then this problem is going to have to be addressed. im just asking if their might be some sort of timeline for this.

any devs that come across this thread please do feel free to share when you might be addressing this with your rom. thank you.

-issac

ShortRound51

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
hi all, this is pretty much just a question that im asking the various devs of current roms for the optimus v.

im an owner of one of the newer optimus v phones that are being released at the moment. as most people are probably aware by now, these "new" optimus v's have new displays/display drivers that aren't compatible with some or most of the recoveries available and also most roms that are available at the moment.

my question is, to us "newer" optimus v owners with the new display/drivers, what are we looking at in terms of this problem being resolved and being integrated into all the current roms and recoveries?

i only ask this because obviously if you guys want to continue to spread your excellent creations to the optimus v community, then this problem is going to have to be addressed. im just asking if their might be some sort of timeline for this.

any devs that come across this thread please do feel free to share when you might be addressing this with your rom. thank you.

-issac

Not sure if you ever got an answer to this, but most of the IHO CM7 ROM's have this fixed. I also think the IHO Recovery gas the fix too.

Sent from my LG Optimus-V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bdieu17

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
There's really only two different "ROMs" supported right now (IHO and Harmonia) so those are the only two that will probably get fixed.

IHO has many different people building their own variants of it, but for a lot of the older ROMs even if they're stable the most that will come about is a workaround.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the picasticks and bumblebee kernels could be recompiled with the video driver set right like BobZhome did for iho... then the main older roms I see people using on the forums (harmonia froyo, and bumblebee) could still be used with their intended kernels.
xionia recovery is the main cross-compatible recovery. otherwise the ones hacked up with xionia kernel in the black-screen sticky are all I know of which work. not sure if the official iho recovery has been fixed, but the hacked one works.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Let me find out how the latest Harmonia installer is working, then I can see about getting it working on the new V. It will probably require replacing a few parts, which means two versions to make it work, one for older V's one for newer V's.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Let me find out how the latest Harmonia installer is working, then I can see about getting it working on the new V. It will probably require replacing a few parts, which means two versions to make it work, one for older V's one for newer V's.

I've got one of those obnoxious new v's now, and the only difference I can find is the kernel config.
all the old backups of various roms I have run fine on the newer device if I change out the kernel for one with the right driver.
the kernel version even shows up the same in phone info and /proc/config.gz, except for disabling the hitachi driver and enabling the hitachi_novatek instead. I even diff'd the .configs against each other and can't find any other difference.

well, there are two other differences I've noticed... but they won't affect ROM porting at all.
the novatek screen is really greenish compared to the old hitachi,
and the bootloader is S-on on my newer device, so no fastboot for me anymore :'(

if you need a tester with both devices, let me know... the only problem remaining with my older one is that I haven't got it on-network again yet.

ericbratcher98

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
i have one of these newer ov and i couldnt even view clockwork recovery but i think you can view it even with the display drivers not being right as long as you use some computer capture software. i think i would love it if someone would test this for me

ericbratcher98

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
i think itll work when i use the screen program i can see it on my phone and on the computer but then when i power off and reboot into recovery i can no longer see it on my phone but i can see it on my computer

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the display on the newer OV higher quality?
in my opinion, the new Hitachi screen sucks by comparison to the older novatek
and in what way?
whites look slightly green on the Hitachi screen.
anything else different about it?
nope.

to add an update:
compatible roms currently being supported for new screens include
Harmonia, harmonious bumblebee, and iho roms. (available from their threads here in rooting roms and hacks)
the most current recovery is BobZhome's iho recovery (available from inferior human organs wiki)

Reactions: sdxben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol