08-12-2013 03:09 AM
146 1234 ...
tools
    For editing build.prop file, is that something I can do with the ROM already installed? (and easiest way to do it?)
    Yes, you can edit it with the ROM already installed. The build.prop file should be located under your /system/ folder. Use some kind of file explorer that allows root exploring and edit it from there.

Also thank you OP for making an update! I will flash this soon and post what I think.

Installed successfully and working great. Smooth as butter and performs great. Love the feeling of having 2 ROMS combined. Thanks for your hard work.
    10-27-2011 04:22 PM
    Yes, you can edit it with the ROM already installed. The build.prop file should be located under your /system/ folder. Use some kind of file explorer that allows root exploring and edit it from there.

Also thank you OP for making an update! I will flash this soon and post what I think.

Installed successfully and working great. Smooth as butter and performs great. Love the feeling of having 2 ROMS combined. Thanks for your hard work.
    I tried with the bundled File Manager and got an "Error occurs during saving" after editing the build.prop. Do I need to use something like Root Explorer instead?

I agree! Great ROM! Was thinking of switching to Harmonia after Bumblebee development stopped. This gives me the best of both worlds and some nice addons too!
    10-27-2011 08:41 PM
    I tried with the bundled File Manager and got an "Error occurs during saving" after editing the build.prop. Do I need to use something like Root Explorer instead?

I agree! Great ROM! Was thinking of switching to Harmonia after Bumblebee development stopped. This gives me the best of both worlds and some nice addons too!
    I'm not sure if the bundled file manager has root permissions or not. I don't use it, I use root explorer but that isn't free lol and I did want a simple file manger in here for those that need just a simple one.

But otherwise the ROM is mostly Harmonia to be honest, because well they're both similar, and Harmonia still is updated
    10-27-2011 09:20 PM
    I'm not sure if the bundled file manager has root permissions or not. I don't use it, I use root explorer but that isn't free lol and I did want a simple file manger in here for those that need just a simple one.

But otherwise the ROM is mostly Harmonia to be honest, because well they're both similar, and Harmonia still is updated
    Can you see if you're able to edit files with Root Explorer? I don't think it has text-editing capabilities.

And did Bumblebee 2.4 have a way to block the "Ads by AdMob" ads that show up in ads? I'm seeing them in apps now when I don't think I did with BB 2.4.
    10-27-2011 09:39 PM
    Can you see if you're able to edit files with Root Explorer? I don't think it has text-editing capabilities.

And did Bumblebee 2.4 have a way to block the "Ads by AdMob" ads that show up in ads? I'm seeing them in apps now when I don't think I did with BB 2.4.
    I just checked and you can edit the build.prop file from root explorer. You have to mount the /system folder as read/write by hitting the button near the top, then long press on the file, scroll down, and select edit with text editor. You'll probably have to restart your phone for the changes to take effect.

Yes I'm pretty sure bumblebee had a script to block ads, I'll have to go look for it but I could include it once I find it (or just upload the file). A quick fix would be to go into airplane mode...lol but without internet there's no ads
    10-27-2011 10:04 PM
    snip...
    Yes I'm pretty sure bumblebee had a script to block ads...
    /etc/hosts
    A quick fix would be to go into airplane mode...lol but without internet there's no ads
    +1
    jdcnosse likes this.
    10-27-2011 10:22 PM
    You saved me the trouble of going on a scavenger hunt (for the file, or for the bumblebee ROM thread which most likely said where it was located in an update or something)

Thanks

I'll still see what I can pull out of Bumblebee and put into this. If I'm lucky I can just copy/paste and re-sign (that's pretty much what this whole mod is lol just copy and paste)
    10-27-2011 10:29 PM
    ive been using this rom for about a week now. Ive been using some form of CM7 on my OV since aosp was still actively building roms.

I gotta say, it truly felt like a downgrade from 2.3.7 everything was frustrating, moving the text cursor around was annoying. the lack of toggles in the notification shade bothered me to no end. had to go into the settings just to turn wifi on or off and to adjust the sound.

sure, there is a power widget for that but after having it in as accessible a place as the notification shade, I dont think I could live without it in any other rom

my reasons for using this for a week was for the supposed battery life, but it did worse than BACKside I.H.O.

one strange thing I did notice however, was that this rom got me on average 2 or 3 more bars of signal in places where I get less on IHO, and sure, the signal indicator is by no means a real guage, but the speed tests show I was getting over 1.9Mb/s consistantly on 3G, which surprised me becuase I dont see much higher than 1.3 on IHO, even in areas of great signal.

I would love to know if that is something to do with the official virgin mobile source code having been froyo specific and couldnt be ported 100% to GB, or some other factor.

all in all, for a froyo rom, its nice.

but for everyone here who has an Optimus V, you are truly, TRULY, doing yourself a great disservice by not installing a IHO CM7 based rom.
    10-27-2011 10:44 PM
    my reasons for using this for a week was for the supposed battery life, but it did worse than BACKside I.H.O.
    To be honest I can't make any claims about the battery life of this, after all it does have additional apps and mods not in Harmonia.

But with regular Harmonia and the 3000mAh battery, I've been able to get 2 1/2 days with wifi always on, and pretty crappy service at my house (always under 2 bars out of 6). Even with the regular battery I got about 20 hours in the same conditions. I've found that any sort of overclocking on Harmonia (even just up to 480Mhz) seems to reduce battery life. Possibly because froyo just isn't as cpu intensive...

one strange thing I did notice however, was that this rom got me on average 2 or 3 more bars of signal in places where I get less on IHO, and sure, the signal indicator is by no means a real guage, but the speed tests show I was getting over 1.9Mb/s consistantly on 3G, which surprised me becuase I dont see much higher than 1.3 on IHO, even in areas of great signal.

I would love to know if that is something to do with the official virgin mobile source code having been froyo specific and couldnt be ported 100% to GB, or some other factor.
    I too noticed this. I thought it was my PRL or that Sprint updated their towers...

but I do have to agree, the possibilities are endless. Now if only LG/VM gave the source code to the public when the OV gets gingerbread so IHO can have an official base to start with
    10-27-2011 10:57 PM

I too noticed this. I thought it was my PRL or that Sprint updated their towers...

but I do have to agree, the possibilities are endless. Now if only LG/VM gave the source code to the public when the OV gets gingerbread so IHO can have an official base to start with
    I updated my PRL to 11115 I think (off the top of my head) about 2 months ago. havent touched it since
    10-27-2011 11:20 PM
    I updated my PRL to 11115 I think (off the top of my head) about 2 months ago. havent touched it since
    I updated mine to 22081 about a month and a half ago probably, but I had just gotten back from a cross country trip (where I got really good service in Flagstaff, AZ lol) so I thought maybe I had to leave for like a week to clear my home towers out of my phone's memory or something...idk. not complaining lol
    10-27-2011 11:31 PM
    ive been using this rom for about a week now. Ive been using some form of CM7 on my OV since aosp was still actively building roms.

I gotta say, it truly felt like a downgrade from 2.3.7 everything was frustrating, moving the text cursor around was annoying. the lack of toggles in the notification shade bothered me to no end. had to go into the settings just to turn wifi on or off and to adjust the sound.

sure, there is a power widget for that but after having it in as accessible a place as the notification shade, I dont think I could live without it in any other rom

I noticed surprisingly good battery life from I.H.O after being on BB 2.4 for quite some time. I didn't find the toggles in the notification shade so useful because I want to see and control on/off status without having to pull down the notification shade...I use elixir's widgets for that instead of the standard Power Control widget.

It seems people are willing to put up with various quirks and issues to use these CM7 builds...the ones I experienced (with Mirage 10/22/11 build) in the short time I used it was that it would crash when I went into Calendars -> Calendars (to adjust which calendars were synced/viewable), and you can't easily charge the phone with it off (an issue with all IHO builds).

Once I saw Harmonious Bumblebee 2.0, I jumped ship back to Froyo and I'm happy with it. I was going to go to Harmonia, but this one has most everything I want.
    10-28-2011 01:23 AM
    I've found that any sort of overclocking on Harmonia (even just up to 480Mhz) seems to reduce battery life. Possibly because froyo just isn't as cpu intensive...
    That's interesting. Someone had done tests a while back (with a different ROM) and found that the sweet spot for good battery life was around 806Mhz. The rationale was that the chip doesn't undervolt when underclocked, so having it take longer to complete tasks actually used more battery (i've found this to be true with computer CPU overclocking...it's undervolting that actually reduces power usage...you underclock to be able to undervolt, but otherwise run at the fastest speed possible at a given voltage).

I was running 600/806, but will lower to 480/806 to see if I notice any difference while running Harmonia.
    10-28-2011 01:32 AM
    I just checked and you can edit the build.prop file from root explorer. You have to mount the /system folder as read/write by hitting the button near the top, then long press on the file, scroll down, and select edit with text editor. You'll probably have to restart your phone for the changes to take effect.
    Thanks! That worked.

Yes I'm pretty sure bumblebee had a script to block ads, I'll have to go look for it but I could include it once I find it (or just upload the file). A quick fix would be to go into airplane mode...lol but without internet there's no ads
    Here's a post with a link to a more updated Hosts file than what's in Bumblebee.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ml#post1311996

Have you tried the Adobe Flash 10.3 with Dolphin HD on this ROM?
    10-28-2011 01:41 AM
    That's interesting. Someone had done tests a while back (with a different ROM) and found that the sweet spot for good battery life was around 806Mhz. The rationale was that the chip doesn't undervolt when underclocked, so having it take longer to complete tasks actually used more battery (i've found this to be true with computer CPU overclocking...it's undervolting that actually reduces power usage...you underclock to be able to undervolt, but otherwise run at the fastest speed possible at a given voltage).

I was running 600/806, but will lower to 480/806 to see if I notice any difference while running Harmonia.
    Idk it's strange too...I mean when my phone was idle, it didn't last nearly as long when I overclocked it then when I just left it alone.
    10-28-2011 01:45 AM
    Thanks! That worked.

Here's a post with a link to a more updated Hosts file than what's in Bumblebee.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ml#post1311996

Have you tried the Adobe Flash 10.3 with Dolphin HD on this ROM?
    I actually got the hosts file out of bumblebee and apparently it's a third-party host, so I went to the website and grabbed the newest update (October 13th, 2011)

I have tried it and it's a bit slow still but it works!
    10-28-2011 01:48 AM
    Idk it's strange too...I mean when my phone was idle, it didn't last nearly as long when I overclocked it then when I just left it alone.
    That may explain why my battery life on BB 2.4 was so bad when my phone sits idle most of the time. Will definitely give 480 a go to see if there's a difference. Thanks.
    10-28-2011 01:48 AM
    I actually got the hosts file out of bumblebee and apparently it's a third-party host, so I went to the website and grabbed the newest update (October 13th, 2011)

I have tried it and it's a bit slow still but it works!
    Which website is that? And do you need to backup the existing hosts file (if there is one) before updating it, or does it not matter because the existing one is blank anyways?
    10-28-2011 01:50 AM
    Which website is that? And do you need to backup the existing hosts file (if there is one) before updating it, or does it not matter because the existing one is blank anyways?
    I didn't see that Harmonia/this mod had that file. I'd back up the existing one if there is one just to be safe.

But I'm going to upload the host file now and add it to the ROM and re-upload that too.

EDIT: the updated host file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ip4np51u2ephx2/hosts.zip

The website is http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    10-28-2011 02:59 AM

Please read the whole thread (or threads) regarding battery life, your information is wrong.
    Someone took the info on the first page and didn't bother reading the rest, where A LOT of information was changed.

This is why the Harmonia thread has the overclock recommendations it does.
    10-28-2011 03:18 AM
    The reasoning I got from the thread that Harmonia linked to was that the cpu should be clocked accordingly to what you'll be doing. Phone sitting idle = low Mhz, phone playing lots of games and videos = high Mhz.
    10-28-2011 03:39 AM
    Setting your minimum at full speed is like gluing the gas pedal in your car at full throttle and using the brakes to slow you down.

Your phone essentially has 3 speeds.
    Idle or sleep mode - obvious
    low speed - for low cpu intensive tasks, such as streaming or gps
    high speed - for anything requiring hardcore processing

On top of that, 480mhz and below the phone actually drops the cpu voltage. Above 480 and the phone gives the processor full voltage.

For things needing lots of power, usually short term things like opening a program, the faster the CPU the better. Get it done as fast as possible and then put the cpu back to idle. This was the premise of the battery tests.

The problem is that in the real world, programs don't always work that way. Streaming/playing music and navigation require a constant process, and it doesn't matter how fast the cpu is, it will only stop when the music stops. Same for navigation. These processes are low cpu intensity, so by forcing the system to run at full speed, the CPU runs at full speed even for these low power applications.

Now, here is where it gets tricky and where people make mistakes.
    Say you set the minimum at 240 (the lowest the phone actually supports) and the high at 806, your low is enough for widgets to run. It may even be enough for playing music. It is not however, enough to stream music or use navigation. When the processor needs more than the minimum you set, it jumps to maximum speed. Let me say that again, when an app exceeds the minimum speed, it jumps to MAXIMUM. So if you set 240, it's fine for playing music, but as soon as you stream, it forces you all the way up to 806. There is no in between. By setting 360 or 480 for a minimum, you have a speed that can be used for apps requiring a medium amount of processor, without jumping to the maximum.

Your high is irrelevant, set it one or two notches below stable, and then set the minimum based on your need. For no long term use programs, 240 is fine. For playing mp3's, 240 is probably fine. For streaming or nav you need at least 360, to stream and use nav, you want about 480. Remember, once you breech that minimum, the phone spikes to full speed. So if you are doing something minor and your phone is getting hot, you need to increase your minimum.

As for the high speed,
    Stable, isn't always truly stable. Yes, you might get away with 806 or 840, and your phone may appear to run fine, but how many errors is it masking that you can't see? Just because it doesn't restart does not mean it's stable. Those minor errors means the processor has to work extra to redo them or work around them so as not to crash. Because the cpu throttles, you may not see any minor instability, you woudl need to run something that uses full cpu for several hours to be sure. Instead, the simple method is see what runs "stable", I.E. no rebooting, and then take it down one or two notches. That is likely your fastest, truly stable speed.
    funnybrains12 likes this.
    10-28-2011 02:06 PM
    Well that's what I'm saying though. In my real world tests, the phone was idle most of the time, so the lower speed gave the most benefits. Other people's situations may be different.
    10-28-2011 02:33 PM
    Well that's what I'm saying though. In my real world tests, the phone was idle most of the time, so the lower speed gave the most benefits. Other people's situations may be different.
    I wasn't directing it at you, just trying to explain further.
    jdcnosse likes this.
    10-28-2011 08:45 PM
    We either way...that was my disclaimer lol
    10-28-2011 08:47 PM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD