can u help me set up debian's vnc desktop?

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So I got Linux installed via galoula's installer made my loop plenty in size 1.7gb.. I got it all dl'd & followed instructions to set up lxde or xfce4 but no matter what I do all I get is a grey screen a mouse , touch screen works but inputting commands does nothing and I have no desktop , I tried searching other instructions to enable it but it didnt work.
So right now I can connect with VNC viewer, but I get the grey deksktop, input does nothing.. any help!!, please! =)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
try this, if you have xfce (lxde is kinda slow)
Code:
echo "#!/bin/sh
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
xfce4-session&" > /root/.vnc/xstartup

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was just about to look that thread up AGAIN, where you posted that about using xfce-goodies.
My mistake was setting up a view only password. I just reconfigured without a view only password and am now switching to xfce!
Thanks!

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
oookkay ,, here's what happened!
I edited using esexplorer, so I just had to set the file to be executable & it worked LOL!!
? Should I get an error about no HAL daemon?
anyhow it does run way better! There are other errors in the log but everything works, Ii finally realized to check the log & saw that xstartup was permission denied and I was like ahh I know what to do LOL!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
hal and dbus are weird, they don't register right in debian. you could maybe edit the ov ramdisk init.rc and set permissions while starting them to fix it.
you can edit the xsession items to turn off whatever is wanting to use hal.
alsa sound works in some places but not in my experience with mplayer. android won't cough up the service to mplayer, says denied.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow!! You gotta try gdm =)

you know, I was considering that, because it's the only way my fujitsu laptop runs x windows without locking up. if I could just find its configuration files to add the wacom touchscreen.... ah, well. the documentation is so fragmented from the years of changes it's hard to decipher.

I'll check it out.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well for 1 thing I switched to debian stable. What about the Wacom TS?
I then installed gdm after tightvcserver, it will autoadd to xstartup as the only desktop managrr available.
I had to reinstall &increase loop size but if these other steps are neccessary.I'll post a link, I did them
first just in case -(Linux setting up GDM for VNC)

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So whatever the 1st desktop manager installed after vnc will be auto set as the default.
easier for me! no extra changes needed. gdm is great.
menus respond on the 1st click, way smoother.
1st run takes a minute so be patient. and it's very big too!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I'll bet it's big. it includes most of Gnome.
GDM's the login manager on my laptop with the wacom touchscreen, I'm using compiz on it as the window manager and xfce as the desktop manager.
the wacom problem; I can see it under /dev/input/event1, but can't find the GDM config setup to allow me to tell it to consider the touchscreen an input. the xorg-blah-blah-wacom driver was autoinstalled, it just won't use it because I cant tell it to yet.
too many managers! but it's pretty and slick. responds great without a VNC in the way.
get android out of the way somehow and compiz might work on the OV, it's openGL, and so is the adreno 200. android likes to deny permission to access things from debian. like the display.

on my OV I use DWM as a desktop and window manager. super-simplistic, stays out of my way and doesn't slow things down. not very pretty though.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
if u mean through vnv- I dunno about how the TS might be setup, otherwise I used to use some prog. I think it's called netwrapper, it can be used for most windows drivers bug is only mentioned for the purpose of wifi I THINK! Othewise there's modprobing and I think another step to setting that up. I had an Itronix Ix-250 once but Touchbase supports almost any platform & has them @ their website...

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante