froyo or gingerbreead?

mcclain71

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
i have both harmonia 1.5C and bobzhome on my phone...but i cant decide which to make the permanent OS :/ what do you guys prefer...froyo or gingerbread?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
i have both harmonia 1.5C and bobzhome on my phone...but i cant decide which to make the permanent OS :/ what do you guys prefer...froyo or gingerbread?

I go back and forth between Harmonia and BACKside. Why the need for a "permanent" ROM? Change is part of the fun. Just get a nicely configured nandroid of each and switch at will.

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
i do that now...lol. guess im ready to settle down :)

I'd say Harmonia is more he settle down type. Just my opinion. Trustworthy, dependable, efficient, no surprises.

Not saying IHO ROMs aren't dependable stability-wise, but I have been surprised here and there by things I needed that didn't work. Namely headset controls, and no ability to use the internal mic while headphones are plugged in.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
IHO and GB are the new hot thing on the block. It's exciting and different.

Harmonia is the Honda sitting in your driveway. It's not glamorous or fast, but it's efficient, runs really well and has no surprises. You know it will start and take you to work every day.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What about all those SD card folders :p

I've gone back and forth before...I do like that gingerbread (and by extension IHO) is more customizable, but I also know that even with setting my cpu overclocked to at least 400+ I still don't get that great of battery life compared to Harmonia. Maybe when my 3000mAh battery comes in I'll make the switch :)

mcclain71

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
i like comparing harmonia to a dependable honda :) from reading the posts all over here, its safe to assume that battery life on a gingerbread (no matter what build) isnt nearly the same as on harmonia?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i like comparing harmonia to a dependable honda :) from reading the posts all over here, its safe to assume that battery life on a gingerbread (no matter what build) isnt nearly the same as on harmonia?

True, and will likely remain that way until we can get Gingerbread from Virgin and/or the source from Lg and even then it may not match, or maybe it will be better, it;s hard to say and we won;t know until we have it.

While some IHO roms do well, (Harmonia 2.0 did okay), at best they run around 2% per hour for battery drain while idle. Harmonia does around 1.5 or 1.6%. Keep in mind those are idle, not in use, when you add use, it changes quite a bit as does using wifi vs 3g. The most important thing though is that you have enough to make it through the day, anything extra is a just a bonus.

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I go back and forth between Harmonia and BACKside. Why the need for a "permanent" ROM? Change is part of the fun. Just get a nicely configured nandroid of each and switch at will.

Don't you still have to go and reinstall all your apps and change the phones settings back to what you had them before after each flash? Or am I backing up and restoring the wrong way?

I'd say Harmonia is more he settle down type. Just my opinion. Trustworthy, dependable, efficient, no surprises.

Not saying IHO ROMs aren't dependable stability-wise, but I have been surprised here and there by things I needed that didn't work. Namely headset controls, and no ability to use the internal mic while headphones are plugged in.

I just noticed this weekend that BT headset controls are missing in IHO. Not really a big deal to me but it would be nice to have.

I've tried aospCMOD before but I had some FCs. I have not tried Harmonia yet but I like backside so far.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't you still have to go and reinstall all your apps and change the phones settings back to what you had them before after each flash? Or am I backing up and restoring the wrong way?

If you make a nandroid it's literally a compete image of your while system (minus your sd card) so you shouldn't need to reset everything.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If you make a nandroid it's literally a compete image of your while system (minus your sd card) so you shouldn't need to reset everything.

What he said. I can literally switch from one ROM to the next in ~10 minutes.

Fully set up and ready to go.

Sent via VM670

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Develop a backup system that works for you (I made a thread about it) and you can install a new rom and restore data in 20 minutes.

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya you guys are correct. In my mind, I had "switching ROMS" mixed up with "reflashing a new build over an old". Thanks everyone.

duuurrrr me

mcclain71

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
i have both installed on my phone. all i have to do is open up rom manager and reboot into the rom i want. if i add anything to that particular rom, then i save the current state. that way i can go back and forth between roms quickly, painlessly and without issues :)

linzoill

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread hands....I used to be skeptical about all these "artificial roms" but I tell you what...it's a giant leap towards visual improvement and Fu****& amazing battery life...mixed with a dose of 'holy shii this is superfast. Bet you 9 times outta ten you won't want to go back. Sure the imperfections may sound a bit harsh but Im most certain that the levels of good and bad on a scale is like.. wayyyyyy more good. Just saying ....
How bout them Houston Texans? ?? Hahaha

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
FYI, I get less than 1%/hour drain on IHO CM7 Gingerbread, so it is possible, but you have to tweak things a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34