10-11-2012 05:52 AM
51 123
tools
    I don't agree with throttling either, but when every Disneyland only allows a few rides whether they say it's unlimited or not...not much we can do, except switch to sprint lol

At least we don't get completely cut off/get charged overages like on Verizon or AT&T
    I doubt Sprint will be truly unlimited for long.

Sprint 4G Network Upgrade May Kill Unlimited Data Plan
    12-03-2011 12:38 PM
    VM must rename it to "Fair-use" data.

Or else "unlimited" is screwed and there should be another word for a true "no limit", like "INFINITE".
    12-04-2011 09:15 AM
    Technically they don't have to do anything...as much as I don't like it, they're still offering unlimited data, even if it's not at full speed.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    12-04-2011 04:31 PM
    Technically they don't have to do anything...as much as I don't like it, they're still offering unlimited data, even if it's not at full speed.
    This much is true, and like I said, there's always wi-fi.
    12-04-2011 06:07 PM
    I live in Rochester, NY and I get great coverage. I rarely drop below 200 kbps and usually rock around 300 kbps. The only problem I'd have with a cap/limit is that I usually download/upload a gig per day, lol
    12-04-2011 07:17 PM
    Every time I run speedtest.net app, the data is going up and down like a yo yo. Not so with other carriers. Why is that?? I can't even listen to internet radio without it stopping to rebuffer every few minutes.
    bad area? i get solid stable speeds in most areas. in my house the signal is low and the speed test app bounces speeds on 3G. but thats why i have wifi at home.

anywhere else, the speed is quick enough to watch netflix or stream stuff. usually hovers between 1 and 2 Mb/s
    12-04-2011 08:14 PM
    So, did any of you receive that text & email yesterday from VM?
    Starting March something, they're gonna throttle users who use over 2.5Gb
    Edit: i tried uploading the screenshot of the text, but I'm having problems, I'll do it later.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    01-26-2012 10:18 AM
    So, did any of you receive that text & email yesterday from VM?
    Starting March something, they're gonna throttle users who use over 2.5Gb
    Edit: i tried uploading the screenshot of the text, but I'm having problems, I'll do it later.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    No need to. yes we are getting it.
    01-26-2012 03:55 PM
    Here at Virgin Mobile, our mission is to deliver an outstanding customer experience. Sometimes that
    means making difficult choices in order to provide the best possible service to the greatest number of customers.

To make sure we can keep offering our Beyond Talk Plans at such great prices, we're putting a data speed reduction in place for anyone who uses over 2.5GB of data in a month.

How will it work?
    Starting March 23, 2012, if you use over 2.5GB of data in a month on your Beyond Talk Plan:

Data speeds may be reduced to 256Kbps or below for the rest of your month. During this time,
    you may experience slower page loads and file downloads and lags in streaming media.
    If data speeds are reduced, they will return to normal as soon as your next plan month starts.
    If you'd rather not wait for your new month to start, you can restart your plan immediately through
    My Account.

Will it affect me?
    Based on your activity for your last plan month ending in December, you shouldn't be affected.

If you continue to use the same amount of data as you did in your last plan month, you should not see
    your data speeds reduced. Just to give you an idea, in order to hit 2.5GB, it's about 400,000 Mobile
    Internet page views, about 90,000(!) emails (without attachments), 91 hours of streaming music
    or 20 hours of video clips*.

This will not affect your ability to text or make calls with your phone.

How will I know if my data speeds have been reduced?
    If you reach 2.5GB of data in a month, you will receive a text message letting you know your data speeds
    will be reduced for the rest of your plan month.

By putting this data speed reduction in place, we're making sure we can deliver the same quality service
    you've come to expect from Virgin Mobile. We hope you understand.

Thank you.
    Virgin Mobile
    01-26-2012 06:49 PM
    I think it's reasonable, I don't even useit that much and all those damned torrent and downloading & tethering FOR GAMES hogs won't be slowing down other people.
    WIFI was made for heavy use.
    01-27-2012 08:42 PM
    Well I have never tethered my Phone to my laptop and this cap really annoys me. I don't have WiFi!! This is all I have to access the internet , and the fact that they use 2.5GB as a limit is also really annoying. I use about 2.0GB a week, so obviously I'm gonna go over. Back when I was on Boost(Before the caps), I was using about 9-12 GB a month. :/ I never stream my content I just download it so I can save as much data as possible.
    10-07-2012 07:58 AM
    I don't agree with throttling either, but when every Disneyland only allows a few rides whether they say it's unlimited or not...not much we can do, except switch to sprint lol

At least we don't get completely cut off/get charged overages like on Verizon or AT&T
    Well Disney land does have a throttle ever stand in those lines? lol sure its a 1 price for all day and you can go on anything but with those lines you are throttled and cannot get on everything they have.
    johnh02 likes this.
    10-07-2012 08:18 AM
    Well I have never tethered my Phone to my laptop and this cap really annoys me. I don't have WiFi!! This is all I have to access the internet , and the fact that they use 2.5GB as a limit is also really annoying. I use about 2.0GB a week, so obviously I'm gonna go over. Back when I was on Boost(Before the caps), I was using about 9-12 GB a month. :/ I never stream my content I just download it so I can save as much data as possible.
    9-12 gb?!??!? That's a lot of data. I don't even use 1 gb a month

Sent from my Miui Optimus V
    10-07-2012 08:22 AM
    I agree with what you are saying, and I do agree that it is wrong (unlimited means "without limits" and they are putting a limit on infinity), but there's only so much we can do you know?
    Hmmm... following this logic... is it really a limit on unlimited, or a speed limit on how fast you get there? you still have unlimited data, download as much as you want, just not as fast after 2.5gb
    cole2kb likes this.
    10-07-2012 09:25 AM
    Hmmm... following this logic... is it really a limit on unlimited, or a speed limit on how fast you get there? you still have unlimited data, download as much as you want, just not as fast after 2.5gb
    Pfff, fast? My 3G might as well be 1X.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    johnh02 and The Hustleman like this.
    10-07-2012 10:02 AM
    My brother will often hit the cap 4 or 5 days before the end of the month. The throttled speed is painfully slow. He'll just restart his monthly plan early. Even if you end up paying for 13 "months" per year, you still end up paying less than you would with any of the major carriers.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums
    10-07-2012 02:10 PM
    Not gonna matter if they cap it, I get at most 200Kbps Up in the most populated city in America.
    10-07-2012 02:41 PM
    i always hit the cap after the first week of a new month... 90% just browsing, occasional dl of little stuff (scripts,etc.)...half the time my account min/data are not reset and i have to call and have vmcs reset it... even with a freshly reset account, and my location to the vm server (about an hr away), my dl speeds are ALWAYS 50-60kbps... when the cap kicks in, it knocks me down to 5-30kbps... so i never see anything above 60kbps... although i was browsing the vmusa website last night and they have changed the fine print to say that after the 2.5gb cap is reached, data speeds will be reduced to 200kbps and below... people will say its due to network congestion or weak signal... thats all equatable, but after a year of vm service and observing the quirks... they can do a lot better, and they know it... but why would they cut profits to satiate the masses?... simple, they wont... (just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt)... :-)
    10-07-2012 03:32 PM
    Do they notify you if you hit the limit? Most of my time is on wifi but im just curious

10-07-2012 04:12 PM
    Do they notify you if you hit the limit? Most of my time is on wifi but im just curious

They dont

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    10-07-2012 05:23 PM
    Yes, they do, you'll get a text message. I've gotten it before.
    clodfelterac likes this.
    10-07-2012 05:54 PM
    Yes, they do, you'll get a text message. I've gotten it before.
    I've gotten it twice.

This space intentionally left blank.
    10-07-2012 06:35 PM
    I really wish the government would just make it illegal to market data hogging features of smartphones on limited data plans.

And to all the people talking that "use Wi-Fi, it's everywhere" have you seen how slow that is?

If I'm paying for a mobile plan,I want to use a mobile plan.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    10-07-2012 07:18 PM
    Just giving my usage here, the last month of service I had I used about 30gb plus about 15gb on my girlfriends phone. Hit the throttle on both within two days.
    10-11-2012 12:46 AM
    I really wish the government would just make it illegal to market data hogging features of smartphones on limited data plans.

And to all the people talking that "use Wi-Fi, it's everywhere" have you seen how slow that is?

If I'm paying for a mobile plan,I want to use a mobile plan.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    The government would have to alter the laws of physics to make that happen. There are only so many available frequencies, and those frequencies can only carry so much data. You remember when broadcast television switched from analog to digital? The reason for this switch was to free up additional room for other purposes. So in some sense, the government is working on this issue.

Also, the speed of any particular wifi connection is determined by several factors, but cannot be generally considered slow. Some are slow, some are fast. Come over to my house, you can enjoy some 22 Mbps wifi. ;-)

This space intentionally left blank.
    10-11-2012 01:35 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD