3G cap/limit with Virgin Mobile?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The throttled speed is going to be around 200-256kbps, which is what a lot of people are getting these days anyway, not a big concern. If anything it should alleviate network congestion from the few people who use too much data.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
unless those people are in the group getting under the throttle speed anyway :p
then it won't really matter to them or the network.
I imagine you folks who get decent 3g speeds might make a dent in network bandwidth if you're throttled...
my service has seemed intermittently throttled since I started it up. Speed varies excessively from minute to minute, the 3g consistently cuts off data transfer completely for a few seconds at random even though it shows as an active connection in the status bar (it cuts off at intervals of every second to minutes or more between choking off the data.)
I'm sure when the throttling takes effect, I won't notice a bit of difference myself. Mostly cause my 3g speeds have always sucked. It's the terrain more than the provider, tethering with verizon or directly with sprint didn't give me any better speeds or service consistency in my area than virgin mobile has.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
unless those people are in the group getting under the throttle speed anyway :p
then it won't really matter to them or the network.
I imagine you folks who get decent 3g speeds might make a dent in network bandwidth if you're throttled...
my service has seemed intermittently throttled since I started it up. Speed varies excessively from minute to minute, the 3g consistently cuts off data transfer completely for a few seconds at random even though it shows as an active connection in the status bar (it cuts off at intervals of every second to minutes or more between choking off the data.)
I'm sure when the throttling takes effect, I won't notice a bit of difference myself. Mostly cause my 3g speeds have always sucked. It's the terrain more than the provider, tethering with verizon or directly with sprint didn't give me any better speeds or service consistency in my area than virgin mobile has.

Seems like the only people who will be affected are the "tether hogging" ones xD. But yea, i agree, my 3G sucks, but it seems ok for the phone.

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't blame any of the wireless companies that have caps/limits where you get throttled. It makes for a better experience for 95+% of the customers. The few people who download many gb's a month are using a ton of bandwidth that others could be using. I use my phone all the time, and I don't think I've ever used more than a GB in a month. I use WIFI at home which everyone should really have at this point!

Most month's my usage is 600mb's or so, using the phone regularly during the work day.

zoidberg_md

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't blame any of the wireless companies that have caps/limits where you get throttled. It makes for a better experience for 95+% of the customers.

I agree for the most part, just need to be upfront about it. While technically Unlimited, its just not the same.

ryuusei94

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
i barely use data. paid my bill on the first. only used 372MB. some people be using 2.5 GB like nothing though :eek: if i could find a cheap optimus t. i'd be going to t-mobile prepaid for reliable coverage :D

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use my service nearly to its fullest each month. I don't abuse my service tho. I read and follow the "fair use" policy within the VM's EULA which everyone should read because it is what defines "unlimited data". Each company's terms within "fair use" can differ slightly but if we all follow it there will be no limits added.

Reactions: linzoill

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
T-mobile doesn't have unlimited either, if you've ever seen those sprint commercials, they throttle too. Of course it's after 5GB, but then again if you're on 4G that can go by pretty quickly

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
As much as I'd love truly unlimited data, I can't complain about VM's setup. I just came from Straight Talk. I paid $200 for a Nokia E71 and used it for 4 months or so. The last time I added an "unlimited" service card, my phone was Permanently Deactivated roughly 5 days later for excessive data use. Not sure how I could go thru too much data in 5 days but the real bummer is that my $200 phone is now absolutely useless as anything but a mediocre blackberry-like PDA since they refuse to issue a refund or supply an unlock code for it.

I'll take a throttled down speed over absolute account termination any day. Only had VM and my Optimus V for a week now, but so far the grass is plenty green on my side of the fence.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
See, this is exactly why I like the Optimus V on VM, wi-fi. It's everywhere, and you don't have to really worry about going over anything. I have wi-fi on whenever I can xD.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
To everyone who is OK with throttling on the Virgin Mobile plan:

So if I sold you an unlimited pass to Disney Land, but then said you could only use the rides a little bit, you would be OK?

If I owned an all you can eat buffet, and then said you could only eat a couple of items, you would be OK?

If the cable company said you could only watch a few TV shows, you would be OK?

If Nextflix said you could only watch a few movies, you would be OK?

The offer VM made to us was unlimited 3G, not unlimited dial up!

The idea that a company can sell you one thing, then use fine print to keep it from being that is WRONG!
(though I admit, common place)

Disclaimer: I have tethered my phone to test the functionality several times, and to show off the capability to friends a few times, but I do not tether normally. I do believe data is data, and if LG provides software that will move a file from my phone to my PC, then that's the same as tethering with an extra step added just to frustrate you.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying, and I do agree that it is wrong (unlimited means "without limits" and they are putting a limit on infinity), but there's only so much we can do you know?

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I personally would rather not see a throttling but it's a business decision that's within VM's right to change their usage policies. I've also have to make the same disclaimer as I've done the same too. Even all-you-can-eat buffets have imposed table time limits nowadays... ;)

One of the best analogy I'd read arguing the opposite side of this issue--sorry I couldn't locate the source now and I'm unable to attribute it to the author properly. Paraphrased:

'A guest rents a motel room with every expectation of the unlimited use of the tap water from their room's bathroom. However, what if that guest uses that tap water, by running a hose, to filling water tankers parked outside their room continuously? Is that reasonable and fair use to the motel owner now?'

Hmm...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781