10-11-2012 04:52 AM
51 123
tools
    Does Virgin Mobile slow down 3G speed after reaching a "cap"/limit?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    11-17-2011 10:04 AM
    Not yet. They plan to do it sometime in 2012, but haven't set a date so far.
    linzoill likes this.
    11-17-2011 10:08 AM
    Awesome ....damn...that would really suck. Hope they don't ;(

11-17-2011 10:32 AM
    The throttled speed is going to be around 200-256kbps, which is what a lot of people are getting these days anyway, not a big concern. If anything it should alleviate network congestion from the few people who use too much data.
    11-17-2011 01:05 PM
    unless those people are in the group getting under the throttle speed anyway
    then it won't really matter to them or the network.
    I imagine you folks who get decent 3g speeds might make a dent in network bandwidth if you're throttled...
    my service has seemed intermittently throttled since I started it up. Speed varies excessively from minute to minute, the 3g consistently cuts off data transfer completely for a few seconds at random even though it shows as an active connection in the status bar (it cuts off at intervals of every second to minutes or more between choking off the data.)
    I'm sure when the throttling takes effect, I won't notice a bit of difference myself. Mostly cause my 3g speeds have always sucked. It's the terrain more than the provider, tethering with verizon or directly with sprint didn't give me any better speeds or service consistency in my area than virgin mobile has.
    11-17-2011 01:27 PM
    unless those people are in the group getting under the throttle speed anyway
    then it won't really matter to them or the network.
    I imagine you folks who get decent 3g speeds might make a dent in network bandwidth if you're throttled...
    my service has seemed intermittently throttled since I started it up. Speed varies excessively from minute to minute, the 3g consistently cuts off data transfer completely for a few seconds at random even though it shows as an active connection in the status bar (it cuts off at intervals of every second to minutes or more between choking off the data.)
    I'm sure when the throttling takes effect, I won't notice a bit of difference myself. Mostly cause my 3g speeds have always sucked. It's the terrain more than the provider, tethering with verizon or directly with sprint didn't give me any better speeds or service consistency in my area than virgin mobile has.
    Seems like the only people who will be affected are the "tether hogging" ones xD. But yea, i agree, my 3G sucks, but it seems ok for the phone.
    11-17-2011 01:32 PM
    In 2012, after 2.5gb they will throttle. That's quite a bit of data though.
    11-17-2011 02:59 PM
    I honestly can't blame any of the wireless companies that have caps/limits where you get throttled. It makes for a better experience for 95+% of the customers. The few people who download many gb's a month are using a ton of bandwidth that others could be using. I use my phone all the time, and I don't think I've ever used more than a GB in a month. I use WIFI at home which everyone should really have at this point!

Most month's my usage is 600mb's or so, using the phone regularly during the work day.
    11-17-2011 03:18 PM
    I honestly can't blame any of the wireless companies that have caps/limits where you get throttled. It makes for a better experience for 95+% of the customers.
    I agree for the most part, just need to be upfront about it. While technically Unlimited, its just not the same.
    11-17-2011 05:19 PM
    i barely use data. paid my bill on the first. only used 372MB. some people be using 2.5 GB like nothing though :o if i could find a cheap optimus t. i'd be going to t-mobile prepaid for reliable coverage
    11-19-2011 09:50 PM
    I agree for the most part, just need to be upfront about it. While technically Unlimited, its just not the same.
    Those lying bas *!@rds lol

11-20-2011 04:24 AM
    I use my service nearly to its fullest each month. I don't abuse my service tho. I read and follow the "fair use" policy within the VM's EULA which everyone should read because it is what defines "unlimited data". Each company's terms within "fair use" can differ slightly but if we all follow it there will be no limits added.
    linzoill likes this.
    11-20-2011 09:36 AM
    T-mobile doesn't have unlimited either, if you've ever seen those sprint commercials, they throttle too. Of course it's after 5GB, but then again if you're on 4G that can go by pretty quickly
    11-20-2011 12:34 PM
    Sprint actually jas the worst network n virgin mobile sucks

11-30-2011 03:24 PM
    Sprint actually jas the worst network n virgin mobile sucks

OK, who let the trolls out? Eollie? Batter's up!
    12-01-2011 03:25 AM
    As much as I'd love truly unlimited data, I can't complain about VM's setup. I just came from Straight Talk. I paid $200 for a Nokia E71 and used it for 4 months or so. The last time I added an "unlimited" service card, my phone was Permanently Deactivated roughly 5 days later for excessive data use. Not sure how I could go thru too much data in 5 days but the real bummer is that my $200 phone is now absolutely useless as anything but a mediocre blackberry-like PDA since they refuse to issue a refund or supply an unlock code for it.

I'll take a throttled down speed over absolute account termination any day. Only had VM and my Optimus V for a week now, but so far the grass is plenty green on my side of the fence.
    12-01-2011 09:13 PM
    See, this is exactly why I like the Optimus V on VM, wi-fi. It's everywhere, and you don't have to really worry about going over anything. I have wi-fi on whenever I can xD.
    12-02-2011 08:50 AM
    To everyone who is OK with throttling on the Virgin Mobile plan:

So if I sold you an unlimited pass to Disney Land, but then said you could only use the rides a little bit, you would be OK?

If I owned an all you can eat buffet, and then said you could only eat a couple of items, you would be OK?

If the cable company said you could only watch a few TV shows, you would be OK?

If Nextflix said you could only watch a few movies, you would be OK?

The offer VM made to us was unlimited 3G, not unlimited dial up!

The idea that a company can sell you one thing, then use fine print to keep it from being that is WRONG!
    (though I admit, common place)

Disclaimer: I have tethered my phone to test the functionality several times, and to show off the capability to friends a few times, but I do not tether normally. I do believe data is data, and if LG provides software that will move a file from my phone to my PC, then that's the same as tethering with an extra step added just to frustrate you.
    tetraclit and The Hustleman like this.
    12-02-2011 10:14 AM
    I agree with what you are saying, and I do agree that it is wrong (unlimited means "without limits" and they are putting a limit on infinity), but there's only so much we can do you know?
    12-02-2011 10:35 AM
    I personally would rather not see a throttling but it's a business decision that's within VM's right to change their usage policies. I've also have to make the same disclaimer as I've done the same too. Even all-you-can-eat buffets have imposed table time limits nowadays...

One of the best analogy I'd read arguing the opposite side of this issue--sorry I couldn't locate the source now and I'm unable to attribute it to the author properly. Paraphrased:

'A guest rents a motel room with every expectation of the unlimited use of the tap water from their room's bathroom. However, what if that guest uses that tap water, by running a hose, to filling water tankers parked outside their room continuously? Is that reasonable and fair use to the motel owner now?'

Hmm...
    12-02-2011 10:51 AM
    That's also true, it's like a double edged sword. The people who abuse the "unlimited" makes it bad for normal people who use the data appropriately, however, who's to say whats appropriate or not...?
    12-02-2011 11:06 AM
    I don't agree with throttling either, but when every Disneyland only allows a few rides whether they say it's unlimited or not...not much we can do, except switch to sprint lol

At least we don't get completely cut off/get charged overages like on Verizon or AT&T
    12-02-2011 11:07 AM
    At least we don't get completely cut off/get charged overages like on Verizon or AT&T
    This much is true. So very true... (this is why we all have VM xD)
    12-02-2011 11:30 AM
    I live in the middle of nowhere York PA. can get 250-800 at my pad not far from a tower.I work outside and test my phone all the time out of curiosity in many different locations around my 100 mi or so work area. almost always at least get something. So called 4G vibrant co worker can get 3000- 0 (rarely over my phone and his clips in and out of service trying to find a 3G /4g ) I almost always get at least a crawl out of mine. . LOCATION, OBSTRUCTIONS, MOVEMENT, even WEATHER all effect signal.... Jerry, I do notice the intermittant "blanks of signal" and 27? is often the max. Could be throttling, funny it just seems the reoccurring 27? is showing up so often intermittently in my test log. I use 1.5 -2 gb a month and do tether from time to time to show friends with expensive plans and phones up, or just to help out someone who cannot get a signal . 25$ I cannot complain. But, I like my buffet and will continue to eat reasonably. Cheers to all my VM670 colleagues And, Developers, I LOVE YOU ALL! I know I am due for another round of donations soon and ENCOURAGE ALL users to try to send a few bucks in and share your savings on your sweet *** "mid-level " phone with the people that make it all possible.
    12-03-2011 06:13 AM
    Every time I run speedtest.net app, the data is going up and down like a yo yo. Not so with other carriers. Why is that?? I can't even listen to internet radio without it stopping to rebuffer every few minutes.
    12-03-2011 07:51 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD