[DEV][WIP]Building ICS for the OV

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I extracted it from your ROM zip, then opened it in 7zip to look at the files... needless to say, because it was built for hdpi devices, the wallpapers were way too big (a couple were almost 1 MB!!), so I deleted the xhdpi ones and resized the ones that our phones used, and voila! its smaller. ;)

Cool. I've been meaning to get rid of the xhdpi images. This gives me a great reason! :)

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So i'm getting this at the end of the build process. Is this common or just me? I get the thunderc-ota-eng.thekraven.zip file but not the user one.

Code:
building image from target_files BOOT...
  running:  mkbootfs /tmp/targetfiles-qUop1h/BOOT/RAMDISK
  running:  minigzip
  running:  mkbootimg --kernel /tmp/targetfiles-qUop1h/BOOT/kernel --cmdline mem=471M console=ttyMSM2,115200n8 androidboot.hardware=thunderc --base 0x12200000 --pagesize 2048 --ramdisk /tmp/tmpy4fksA --output /tmp/tmpnRLsCA
  running:  openssl pkcs8 -in build/target/product/security/testkey.pk8 -inform DER -nocrypt
  running:  java -Xmx2048m -jar out/host/linux-x86/framework/signapk.jar -w build/target/product/security/testkey.x509.pem build/target/product/security/testkey.pk8 /tmp/tmpEcp4lq out/target/product/thunderc/thunderc-ota-eng.thekraven.zip
done.
/home/thekraven/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/thunderc-ota-user.thekraven.zip doesn't exist!
make: *** [bacon] Error 1

I think the CM scripts don't handle user release builds well. Try this diff:

Code:
diff --git a/prebuilt/common/bootanimation.zip b/prebuilt/common/bootanimation.zip
index 528e840..6ca885e 100644
Binary files a/prebuilt/common/bootanimation.zip and b/prebuilt/common/bootanimation.zip differ
diff --git a/tools/opticharger b/tools/opticharger
index c8c86f5..8e63bf9 100755
--- a/tools/opticharger
+++ b/tools/opticharger
@@ -32,6 +32,8 @@ if [ "$APKCERTS" = "" ];
 then
     if [ "$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT" = "userdebug" ]; then
        TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT="eng"
+    elif [ "$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT" = "user" ]; then
+       TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT="eng"
     fi

APKCERTS=$OUT/obj/PACKAGING/target_files_intermediates/$TARGET_PRODUCT-target_files-$TARGET_BUI
diff --git a/tools/squisher b/tools/squisher
index cbd154f..edc5828 100755
--- a/tools/squisher
+++ b/tools/squisher
@@ -1,9 +1,11 @@
-#!/bin/sh
+#!/bin/sh -x
 #
 # Squish a CM otapackage for distribution
 # cyanogen
 #

+set
+
 OUT_TARGET_HOST=`uname -a | grep Darwin`
 if [ -z "$OUT_TARGET_HOST" ]
 then
@@ -27,6 +29,8 @@ if [ "$TARGET_BUILD_TYPE" = "debug" ]; then
     OTAPACKAGE=$OUT/${TARGET_PRODUCT}_debug-ota-$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT.$USER.zip
 elif [ "$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT" = "userdebug" ]; then
     OTAPACKAGE=$OUT/$TARGET_PRODUCT-ota-eng.$USER.zip
+elif [ "$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT" = "user" ]; then
+    OTAPACKAGE=$OUT/$TARGET_PRODUCT-ota-eng.$USER.zip
 else
     OTAPACKAGE=$OUT/$TARGET_PRODUCT-ota-$TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT.$USER.zip
 fi

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I've been meaning to get rid of the xhdpi images. This gives me a great reason! :)

Yeah it should save you a bunch of space in your ROM. Take the Trebuchet.apk to use if it will save you time... idk how it works for you devs.
I've been trimming out apps and doing a little dieting on the ROM and I already have a fully functional-flashable ROM zip down to 89 MB, so I'm guessing you're not going to have too much trouble;)

Awesome job on this ROM so far, its you builders I rely on, because I'm just a geeky kid not some professional:p

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

H/W Acceleration is a GO! Currently testing a new build of GingerKernel with this ICS build. Angry Birds Rio runs like a champ, as does the Launcher UI. Expect a build release soon ;)

EDIT: If you would like to preview the new kernel, click here. It's unsigned, so you'll have to turn signature verification off.
Will this work on our ov? I know we use gingerkernel and all..

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Reactions: Masema

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I always move/delete all the original ringtones/notification on the roms i use.. i always use my own to save space.

Maybe all the ringtones but one can be installed on the SD instead ?

theexile1

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
im just an average user but i tried the gingerkenral it works its snappier from what ive seen but i have no idea whats behinde the scenes

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
First pass at trimming ics down wasn't bad.
My update-cm-9.0.0-RC0--BobZhome-02192012-signed.zip weighted in at 68.7 MB (72,040,448 bytes).
CM9 with only Titanium Backup, File Manager, and Launcher Pro installed showed 59.9 MB free: View attachment 21721
After Gapps TB showed 36.3 MB Free:View attachment 21722 , which is better than the first round that I only had 5 kb left :eek:

Bob

EDIT: forgot to say that my changes are posted on my git.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
First pass at trimming ics down wasn't bad.
My update-cm-9.0.0-RC0--BobZhome-02192012-signed.zip weighted in at 68.7 MB (72,040,448 bytes).
CM9 with only Titanium Backup, File Manager, and Launcher Pro installed showed 59.9 MB free: View attachment 21721
After Gapps TB showed 36.3 MB Free:View attachment 21722 , which is better than the first round that I only had 5 kb left :eek:

Bob

EDIT: forgot to say that my changes are posted on my git.
Syncing with your git now :)

Did you use my gapps? They're quite small. Lol

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like we've got several successful builds now. I'm assuming at least one other person is interested in releasing a ROM. We can continue in several ways from here: everyone independent, form a team, or do a project like IHO.

Thoughts?

I'm personally not much for end user support, I'm pretty happy being a back end type (I'm a server developer IRL). I'd be happy to take up the organizational role in a team or project though.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you guys have fixed this yet, but in the updater-script, if you remove retouch_binaries, it will fix the random offset that people seem to not like.. lol

Reactions: bdfull3r

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Syncing with your git now :)

Did you use my gapps? They're quite small. Lol

Yes, used your Gapps...Thanks!

Looks like we've got several successful builds now. I'm assuming at least one other person is interested in releasing a ROM. We can continue in several ways from here: everyone independent, form a team, or do a project like IHO.

Thoughts?

I'm personally not much for end user support, I'm pretty happy being a back end type (I'm a server developer IRL). I'd be happy to take up the organizational role in a team or project though.
I'm also on the quiet side...I plan on doing some kernel work this week.

I don't know if you guys have fixed this yet, but in the updater-script, if you remove retouch_binaries, it will fix the random offset that people seem to not like.. lol

If you sync up with CM9...the random offset, when installing rom, has been fixed.

Bob

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you handle the backend, I'll post any deviation in build instructions in a new Build Your Own ICS thread, and before you know it, we will have several ROMs published.

I'm of the opinion the more the merrier. It allows different builds focused on different features, sort of how IHO builds are now. No one recipe will satisfy everyone's urges.

If you guys keep spicing up the sauce, I'll keep modifying the frameworks, while others build pure, and we'll try to keep everyone happy! ;)

Reactions: cmerlyn

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what, if you do it like you did iho, I'll definitely contribute as a developer :)
But I support whatever decision you guys make!

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

Either we'll use blarf's IHO project with his permission or we'll create a new project depending on his feelings. I get the sense he's okay with it but we'll need to make sure.

The main ics branch will be for the "vanilla" code, pretty much as the IHO repo stands now. Each developer takes a branch for their own ROM and adds their special sauce on their branch. This way devs can share commits and discoveries. And if a particular change is popular enough, it can be pushed down to the ics branch to be "official". All commits to the ics branch should be reviewed by at least one other developer to try to maintain accountability and prevent brown bag breaks (review tool TBD).

As for the kernel, I want to start by forking the official 2.6 kernel repo. Then my plan goes something like this:
  • Create a LS670-Froyo branch from the v2.6.32.9 tag.
  • Create a VM670-Froyo branch from the LS670-Froyo branch.
  • Create a LS670-Gingerbread branch from the v2.6.35.7 tag.
  • Create a VM670-Gingerbread branch by merging the VM670-Froyo changes.
  • Create an ics branch from v2.6.35.7 (?)
  • Add in "vanilla" project changes to the ics branch.
  • Merge changes across to LS670-Gingerbread and VM670-Gingerbread.

That should result in two distinct and maintainable kernels with full source control history. We can repeat with other variants if they require any specific changes.

Any comments or suggestions? Did I forget anything?

Bob, I'm pretty sure that you're the most prominent IHO kernel maintainer after blarf. I'm particularly interested in your opinion on the kernel strategy.

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good to me! I'll do some research into github's signing off procedures for multi-contributor repositories. I believe they have a review method built in, I'll let you know what I find. I have some cleaning up and reorganizing to do on my box, but I should have time to research this.

For anyone using Wubi:
I'm going to have to ditch my W7 for now and go full Ubuntu on my PC, not enough space is created with the largest possible settings when installing Wubi to build ICS and maintain my other projects. :(

Oh well, I can't actually tell you when the last time was that I logged into W7 for anything other than to watch Netflix. ;)

Reactions: tdm

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can someone help me here? I'm stumped. Building ICS from BobZHome's git..

Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `vendor/cm/proprietary/lib/armeabi/libjackpal-androidterm3.so', needed by `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libjackpal-androidterm3.so'.  Stop.

I can't for the life of me find libjackpal-androidterm3.so anywhere..

EDIT: Nevermind. Added in tdm's files that he provided.

Seems to be working :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance