Stock Recovery on Optimus V w/ S screen?

ttcole1254

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
My brother has one of those rare versions of the Optimus V with the S screen hardware. I found that out the hard way while trying to root it, and got a black screen. Had to use my other Optimus to blindly push buttons on it to flash it with a recovery with the correct driver, as well as androidscreencast and ADB. Anyway, his digitizer is messed up, and I'm trying to put it back to factory ROM and Recovery. I got the stock ROM working, but I'm not sure if the Optimus V recovery will work with this phone, and I don't want to risk it not working and then I can't see anything. The current recovery is "CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5." Is there a way to get it back to stock recovery? Hopefully the replacement doesn't have a sprint screen in it..

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
when I get home I'll upload the stock recovery.img from my newer ov.
it's definitely got a new Hitachi screen.
you may have trouble finding a stock backup for the newer ov as well.
I'll also post a stock totally unrooted nandroid backup from a newer device since I don't see such a thing floating around.

ttcole1254

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, great thanks! And the newer ones usually have a blue-ish hue to them, at least in all the ones I've seen. I found a ROM that works with the screen, one that you posted I think, and it's the same as the original. I accidentally deleted the backup I did of the ROM earlier, kind of a bad move.. Strangely though, both of us (my brother and I) got our Optimus Vs at the same exact time, and his had the newer screen, and mine didn't. When I flashed his phone the first time, I did both the ROM and the recovery at the same time, and all I saw was the silver LG logo. I found out pretty quickly that his phone still worked, but the screen didn't, so I mirrored the SD cards of both our phones, flashed the same stuff onto mine that I put on his, and used mine as a guide to put a working recovery on it. It worked well, considering I thought his phone was bricked at first.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
heh, the stock nandroid I posted is the old OS with a new kernel.
It's froyo 2.2.1, new phones have 2.2.2 stock.
I'll get to the upload tonight sometime. Sorry bout the delay.

ttcole1254

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I remember when we got ours, mine had 2.2.1, and his had 2.2.2. Oh well, and don't worry about it, I'm not in too much of a rush :) Thanks a lot!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
here's the latest stock recovery.
pv5recovery image
Haven't picked the root bits out of the system.img just yet, so it's not uploaded. That may take me a little longer to get to.
the patched stock backup you found will fool the untrained eye, it looks right unless you check the software version against the NAND chip inside the phone.

ttcole1254

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay great, I'll see if the recovery works. Would the system image on it be enough to get it returned though? The phone's digitizer starts to act up after about a half an hour of usage. Not sure why, but if it's under warranty, it would be better to exchange for a new one, hopefully without the S screen in it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yes, it should be fine. not many people are aware enough to check for the 2.2.1 vs 2.2.2, and it's not labeled on the box... the baseband will show as pv4 instead of the real pv5 because of the rom, so 99.9% of people won't be able to tell the difference.
once you put that recovery on there with the stock rom, you'll have to re-root to change anything.
you'll be extremely lucky to get an old screen, I've gotten 2 since I fried my first one (one to replace it, one for my woman for $50 at target) and both have the sucky hitachi screens.

ttcole1254

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, and I guess I was lucky then that my first Optimus V has the older screen, hopefully it doesn't mess up. I saw my brother's had a blue-ish screen, and I just thought it was a coincidence. I rooted my phone, everything worked, and when I did his, the black screen thing happened, and then I found out that there are two versions of the phone. Do you know why they decided to switch the screens out? Seems kind of odd to me, because mine works fine. His has had some problems though.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
side-by-side the newer ones look like a cheaper display to me. the color isn't right (my experience with the new hitachi screens look green instead of blue, but still no true white like the old novatek screens)
I bet they saved a couple bucks, and that's quite enough reason for a corporation to change things around.
They used the same screens on the OS and OV most likely because the board is identical (same part number) just flashed with different firmware and two buttons switched.

Reactions: Derpington

m.w.stemple

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey ttcole1254,
I have basically the same situation. Rooted, flashed clockwork recovery, tried to return to stock ROM for various reasons using clockwork, but ended up with black screen. Stock ROM works (sounds, vibrations, etc..) Unfortunately, I don't have another phone to guide my blindness. could you give me some exact directions to flash my old backup ROM from the SD in clockwork mod, or fix it within the stock ROM? Thanks so much!

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey ttcole1254,
I have basically the same situation. Rooted, flashed clockwork recovery, tried to return to stock ROM for various reasons using clockwork, but ended up with black screen. Stock ROM works (sounds, vibrations, etc..) Unfortunately, I don't have another phone to guide my blindness. could you give me some exact directions to flash my old backup ROM from the SD in clockwork mod, or fix it within the stock ROM? Thanks so much!

Flash the recovery the right way. You can't use clockwork to flash stuff. you need to install a recovery (not through clockwork) then boot into recovery and restore your old backup. There are numerous threads about installing recoveries, so have fun.

Reactions: Derpington

lfodusafl

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for stock Virgin Mobile recovery mode .img file for the Optimus V /w the new screen (Froyo 2.2.2. I have the clockworkmod CWMA_12518.6 installed now and it works fine, but I would like to have the original in case I every have to revert. Can anyone on the planet actually provide the file or a link to the original recovery image file? A link to this original is all I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude