[HELP] Cant get MSL using CDMA Workshop for LG Optimus V! PLEASE

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so Im trying to do a PRL update on my Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V. I downloaded all the required software (CDMA Workshop, QPST v2.7.323_(2008-09-19), and the newest PRL for Sprint 60683). I installed the LG Universal Serial Drivers v3.3, and then installed CDMA Workshop. I opened Device Manager in Windows start menu, checked the current port of the LG Android Platform USB Serial Port (which is set to COM2), I then enabled USB Debugging on my phone, opened CDMA Workshop, clicked the drop-down menu to connect to port COM2, and it connected, BUT sometimes it randomly doesnt connect. After it successfully connected to COM2, I clicked on the "Security" tab in CDMA Workshop, clicked the drop-down menu under "SPC / User Lock" and changed it to "LG method", and then clicked "Read", itll start to attempt to read, and then in the bottom of the window in CDMA Workshop, it says "Failed..Phone does not answer".

What in the world is going on? Ive tried rebooting my PC, reinstalling the drivers, restarting CDMA Workshop, and changing the ports up but it NEVER reads my MSL!!! Do you all know whats going on? Is it becasue im running IHO BACKside CyanogenMod 7.2? Do I have to be using a Stock ROM when retrieving my MSL? I even tried the method of logging into my Virgin Mobile account, and then clicking that link (this https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/myaccount/login.dofsdf that says Error 404 not found, but the page doesnt even say a 404 Error, it says "The specified URL cannot be found".

What do i do guys???

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HELP] Cant get MSL using CDMA Workshop for LG Optimus V! PLE

Try doing it in recovery. I had the same problem. Could not get it to work with one recovery, but worked with this one. I also run backside.

https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/IHO-Recovery

Ill try it. Does this IHO Recovery let me view my MSL in Recovery Mode? Or is it something with ClockworkMod Recovery preventing CDMA Workshop to work but this IHO Recovery did work with CDMA Workshop?

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

IHO Recovery did allow me to get the MSL via CDMA Workshop. The other recovery just told me "Failed..Phone does not answer", even though it would initially connect.

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

IHO Recovery did allow me to get the MSL via CDMA Workshop. The other recovery just told me "Failed..Phone does not answer", even though it would initially connect.

Okay im gonna try it now. Do I have to delete ClockWork Mod Recovery that I flashed using ROM Manager before flashing the IHO Recovery? Or can I just flash over top of it?

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Flash right over top.
Code:
How to Install
1. Place the IHO recovery .img file in your SD card?s root folder.
2. Run a terminal emulator. If you don?t have one, download Terminal Emulator from the Market.
3. Enter the following commands:

su
cd sdcard
flash_image recovery iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img

Make sure you have flash image. (which you should)

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So i see you stopped PMing me... Just go into recovery mode, then itll work. When i changed my PRL, i had Clockworkmod Recovery with Backside and it worked fine.
If you read the instructions on the thread i sent you, if im not mistaken, youre supposed to get an error somewhere... i think. Im not totally sure. Can't remember xD
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

So i see you stopped PMing me... Just go into recovery mode, then itll work. When i changed my PRL, i had Clockworkmod Recovery with Backside and it worked fine.
If you read the instructions on the thread i sent you, if im not mistaken, youre supposed to get an error somewhere... i think. Im not totally sure. Can't remember xD

Hey, sorry about that. I just flashed the IHO recovery on it, and no joke I just tried putting my phone into recovery mode and run CDMA Workshop while my phone was in recovery, and it STILL gave me the error of Failed..Phone did not answer :/ its starting to get frustrating!

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Should work. Retrace your steps. Not sure what other advice I can give you?

I keep trying over and over again.
Here's what im doing.
  1. I plug in my phone via USB cord to my PC tower
  2. USB Debugging automatically starts
  3. I open CDMA Workshop
  4. I click on Port
  5. I select the one that says LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port
  6. I then hit connect
  7. It successfully connects
  8. I click on READ beside the CONNECT button
  9. It then says Searching for phone in DM mode
  10. It fails to read device info
  11. I then click on the Security Tab
  12. I go to SPC / user lock
  13. I select LG method from the drop-down
  14. I click on READ
  15. FAILS with error "Failed..Phone did not answer"

I also tried doing it in recovery, as in booting into the new IHO Recovery that i just flashed, and opening CDMA Workshop, and it still does the same thing. Is there settings in CDMA workshop that should be changed to recognize my phone?

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as Takenover83. I cant really say much else. I'm pretty sure something is being done wrong. Retrace your steps very closely.
Remember, close workshop every time you turn your phone off and on or every time its unplugged. Plus, i believe you're supposed to open workshop after the phones plugged in.
If i had a USB cable, i would change my PRL again & write every step down for you.
No settings have to be changed, everything in that thread is sufficient enough to change your PRL. Nothing extra has to be done.

lokoz21

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

The problem is the IHO rom i had the same issue . Go back to backside or similar a 2.2 rom or stock rom and i guarantee you itll work !

EDIT: it doesnt work with any cynagenmod rom or 2.3 will only work with stock 2.2 or 2.2 builds from the stock 2.2

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

FINALLY got it to work! I had to restore back to my stock Virgin Mobile 2.2 ROM, turn on my phone, let it boot up, plug in USB, power down my phone while still plugged in (thats the only way the LGE Android USB Serial Port showed up), and then open QPST. Im using PRL 61677 and ive noticed a little difference in speed and signal. I flashed back to IHO, and the PRL stuck :) after hours of trying, I feel accomplished. Thanks for the help guys! :)

The problem is the IHO rom i had the same issue . Go back to backside or similar a 2.2 rom or stock rom and i guarantee you itll work !

EDIT: it doesnt work with any cynagenmod rom or 2.3 will only work with stock 2.2 or 2.2 builds from the stock 2.2

I'm on the same boat as Takenover83. I cant really say much else. I'm pretty sure something is being done wrong. Retrace your steps very closely.
Remember, close workshop every time you turn your phone off and on or every time its unplugged. Plus, i believe you're supposed to open workshop after the phones plugged in.
If i had a USB cable, i would change my PRL again & write every step down for you.
No settings have to be changed, everything in that thread is sufficient enough to change your PRL. Nothing extra has to be done.

agamy

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

With regards to having to reinstall stock, from XDA forums:

Originally Posted by mjs2011:
i just want to confirm, do i need to revert to stock to do this? i'm currently running Backside. thanks!

Bigsupersquid replied:
you don't have to revert, just use xionia recovery and use qpst while booted into recovery. Even if you can't see the screen because of an older version of xionia, it'll still allow qpst to talk to the hardware, and you can flash your existing recovery back with flash image gui from backside, or with adb or terminal if you prefer.

Try this:

Do not run QPST or CDMA Workshop yet. Make sure you've got the LGE USB drivers installed, and make sure Android Sooner USB is uninstalled if it's been showing up as the default driver when you've been connecting your phone.
Do not connect your phone to your computer yet. (USB debugging is enabled, right? Just making sure)
- Boot into recovery. Connect your phone to your computer. You may get an error regarding your device driver, or not.
- After it's done failing to find a driver or correctly loading the LGE one (LGE Android Platform USB Port, NOT the modem or the mobile driver!), shut down your phone using your recovery menu options.
- The charging screen should come on. Your computer should be attempting to again connect using whatever driver it thinks it should be using.

If you're lucky, at this point, it will use the LGE Android Platform USB Port driver. If it's giving an error, you can manually try to update the driver yourself (choose driver, ALL (not just recommended), down to LGE, make sure you select LGE Android Platform USB Port and not the others).

You can verify this by going to (Windows, not your phone:) Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager, and checking under Ports to see which driver has been installed and if it has been successfully assigned a port.

Try CDMA Workshop now. If you already have your MSL and want to update PRL via QPST, you may still have to manually add the com port for QPST to see your phone. Add it as COM# where # is the number of your COM port. If QPST is successful in seeing your phone, you will see it possibly under an unexpected model name (mine was something like SURF####xxxx) and "wrong" phone number (which is probably your MIN rather than your assigned phone #). You can always crosscheck your ESN (displayed in hex in QPST) to make sure it's not totally confused.

I was able to backup my PRL and flash the new one successfully. Tested phone calls in and out, then tested 3G connection via Netflix for 45 min episode of the Iditarod documentary that I knew could stream in HD just to try to choke the bandwidth (it didn't).

YMMV.

paintballyedi

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Ok I am running into the same problem can connect to the phone in cmda workshop but
"Phone doesn't answer" when trying to get ANY info out of it and I am curently using a Stock only rooted original rom wanted to get all the info before I started going messing with other rom's wanted to have all the stock info and backup first

paintballyedi

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

only thing I can think of is that dang sooner driver is all I can get the computer to see can't find the direct lge USB driver... even downloaded everything from lg's site to no luck start instillation and it just reinstall sooner... running xp pro sp2+ please help would be appreciated :'(

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
only thing I can think of is that dang sooner driver is all I can get the computer to see can't find the direct lge USB driver... even downloaded everything from lg's site to no luck start instillation and it just reinstall sooner... running xp pro sp2+ please help would be appreciated :'(

Have your phone turned on, USB plugged in to your phone and PC, while its still connected via usb turn off the phone. It may install more drivers when the charging screen comes on after you turn off your phone. Then, go into Device Manager, check which COM port the LGE Android USB serial port is, open cdma workshop while the phone is off and connected via USB, choose the correct port in cdma workshop, and click connect, then go to the security tab, go to user lock, click to drop down menu and select LG default, then click READ. It should work

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I was having the same problem & read somewhere that Xionia recovery works. I had to use adb IN the existing IHO recovery to flash this. I had the out of memory error when trying it from the phone up & running. The funny (& scary) thing was that it still rebooted to this new recovery. Luckily I was able to mount the partitions & run the adb shell commands to flash it
adb steps
Flash Xionia Recovery on the LG Optimus V ? Droid Hype

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad