Flash recovery with terminal emulator

optimusv45

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have recently bought a OV. I understand newer OV encounter blackscreen when using Clockworkmod recovery so im trying to use a terminal emulator to flash "iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img". I downloaded the file with my computer and put it on the root of my sd card. I followed the command
su
cd sdcard
flash_image recovery iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img

But it always says img not found....
Please help. Thank you.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Check this out-of-date read the last few posts. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1398492

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

optimusv45

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Check this out-of-date read the last few posts. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1398492

i went and downloaded the "flash_image" and put it with the recovery image then did the command
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img
reboot recovery
and it says cp: not found.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! And also, don't know why my post said out-of-date... Probably autocorrect. Silly autocorrect.

Reactions: optimusv45

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the problem is that "Flash_image" is a file that the OS needs to know HOW to flash that recovery to the phone.

that file doesnt exist in the stock rom, so the terminal commands come back with file not found.

I found a link that puts a file on the SD card that contains the needed files, and in terminal emulator your point it to that folder and flash the recovery using a script.

it worked very very well when I rooted a friends OV 2 days ago, but I cant seem to find the link to that right now. when i do, ill update this.

it made flashing the recovery so much easier than hoping the terminal commands will work (which they dont on a stock rom)

edit, here it is.

http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html

basically, follow the instructions, except when it tells you to place your recovery in the folder, replace whatever they have in the instructions, with the recovery you download from the InferiorHumanOrgans github, they have one for new OVs that works great.

rename it to recovery.img, put it in the folder they tell you, follow the rest of the instructions using Terminal in android, and it will flash.

Reactions: optimusv45

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
A little tip for flashing through terminal, since these phones are not easy to type on, shorten the name before you start. Easier, faster and less chance of a typo.

optimusv45

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold on there! Read this thread. ROM Manager is a high brick warning for the optimus v and is NOT recommended for use (especially if you're planning on using an IHO variant.)

i go with what works . i have used clockworkmod on two of my OVs and both times it worked perfectly. Now i have custom roms on each one. I'll still use it on older OVs.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i never had that many problems with typing on my OV. If u take ur time u will do just fine.
It's not just a matter of mistakes.

Would you rather type "a.img" or would you rather type "iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img". First off, "a.img" is a whole lot easier to remember than "iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img". Besides being easier to remember, the first also only requires about 5 key presses, the latter requires more than 40, mess up just one, and you are doing another 40+ key presses.

With the shorter name you don't have to bounce back and forth ensuring you get it right, you spend less time typing it, and you eliminate almost all chances of having to repeat it over again.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
If you had one of the new screen V's you'd be looking at a blank screen in place of your recovery with rom manager

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

optimusv45

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not just a matter of mistakes.

Would you rather type "a.img" or would you rather type "iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img". First off, "a.img" is a whole lot easier to remember than "iho-vm670-recovery-4.0.1.4.3.img". Besides being easier to remember, the first also only requires about 5 key presses, the latter requires more than 40, mess up just one, and you are doing another 40+ key presses.

With the shorter name you don't have to bounce back and forth ensuring you get it right, you spend less time typing it, and you eliminate almost all chances of having to repeat it over again.

i never needed to remember anything. i just had laptop beside so i could look at it while i do it. it didnt take me too long so i didnt mind it too much .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance