Guide: step by step rooting of optimus v

mjrsplat

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got xenia recovery working, I was unable to flash Harmonia 2.0 to my phone. It kept hanging on the harmonia screen after the lg screen at startup. I flashed it with xenia recovery, maybe I got a bad flash? I got it from the link. I'm wanting a gingerbread rom that will work with my Virgin mobile internet and mms settings, any suggestions? Sorry for the million questions, I havent been modding since back in 07, and that was motorolas so this is all new to me.

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok I got xenia recovery working, I was unable to flash Harmonia 2.0 to my phone. It kept hanging on the harmonia screen after the lg screen at startup. I flashed it with xenia recovery, maybe I got a bad flash? I got it from the link. I'm wanting a gingerbread rom that will work with my Virgin mobile internet and mms settings, any suggestions? Sorry for the million questions, I havent been modding since back in 07, and that was motorolas so this is all new to me.

Hmm. That shouldn't be happening. But you should ask LesliAnn on the Harmonia 2.0 thread, she would know better then I, why her room isn't working. :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

optimusvuser3

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A nice walkthrough, especially the links to particular apps you used.

I ran into a couple of issues that took me a few days to resolve.

1. flash_image not found

My Optimus V apparently didn't come with flash_image pre-installed. I had to find a copy that someone posted in another forum, and then figure out how to use ES File Explorer to first access and then write flash_image to my /system/bin directory.

2. Permissions Hell
Even after finally getting the flash_image program to its proper place, the terminal emulator was getting "access denied" errors whenever I tried to run it, despite the use of the "su" command. I eventually resolved this issue by downloading a different file explorer/terminal called "SU File Manager & Terminal" ($1.99 on the Android Market, but I found an older version for free). Once installed, I turned on write access to the system folders and then tabbed over to the terminal, and entered "flash_image recovery /sdcard/a.img" and OMG FINALLY, got it to work. :)

Also, I bricked the phone on the first installation for unknown reasons, used the Home Key + VOL UP + Power button trick to access the recovery menu again, and repeated. Worked the second time.

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
A nice walkthrough, especially the links to particular apps you used.

Thanks! :)

...Once installed, I turned on write access to the system folders and then tabbed over to the terminal, and entered "flash_image recovery /sdcard/a.img" and OMG FINALLY, got it to work. :)

Wow, good job man! Why does it always seem like the worst stuff happens to us? Lol. Congrats on getting your phone successfully modded! :-D

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Edit: discovered that its necessary to install Flash_Image before it will work, sorry my bad :( I seemed to have unknowingly flashed it on our phones when going through "learning curves" and thus didn't know i needed to place it in the guide, i have since changed the guide to include it.

Last edited:

timid10

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I used your guide to root/flash my BIL's brand new Optimus V. He bought it for Christmas and we rooted/flashed it last Saturday. I have an older Optimus V that I bought last summer with Android 2.2.1 and had long been lording my "built-in" portable hotspot capability over him. So, he finally dropped his old service, signed up for Virgin, bought the Optimus V, downloaded Quick Settings, tried to activate the hotspot (and failed), and then called me up told me that the hotspot doesn't work anymore (his phone came with Android 2.2.2).

Whoops! Egg on my face.

So, he and I sat down in front of your guide last Saturday afternoon and carefully stepped through the guide and ended up finishing it in just under an hour. It was super easy! First time he or I have ever rooted/flashed a phone so we were a bit nervous and were very cautious with each step. I appreciate the work you put into writing and maintaining your thread. After looking at many other threads, yours just seemed really clean. I'm going to have to root mine now!

If you ever get up to Seattle, lunch is on me! :)

cheers.

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I used your guide to root/flash my BIL's brand new Optimus V. He bought it for Christmas and we rooted/flashed it last Saturday. I have an older Optimus V that I bought last summer with Android 2.2.1 and had long been lording my "built-in" portable hotspot capability over him. So, he finally dropped his old service, signed up for Virgin, bought the Optimus V, downloaded Quick Settings, tried to activate the hotspot (and failed), and then called me up told me that the hotspot doesn't work anymore (his phone came with Android 2.2.2).

Whoops! Egg on my face.

So, he and I sat down in front of your guide last Saturday afternoon and carefully stepped through the guide and ended up finishing it in just under an hour. It was super easy! First time he or I have ever rooted/flashed a phone so we were a bit nervous and were very cautious with each step. I appreciate the work you put into writing and maintaining your thread. After looking at many other threads, yours just seemed really clean. I'm going to have to root mine now!

If you ever get up to Seattle, lunch is on me! :)

cheers.

Thanks! :)

Rooting a phone is a nerve racking experience, that's why I put together my guide for anyone who wants to do it from scratch, with no experience. I was scared out of my mind when I rooted my sisters Samsung Intercept for the first time, thinking i had bricked it several times. :p But when I got the Optimus V and had to start from scratch on that phone, I made a few mistakes as well, which i eventually got through.

There are plenty of guides out there but I wanted everything important and useful for making the phone as awesome as possible all in one place! And that's what my guide is. And all-in-one start to finish guide for anyone who wants to root there LG Optimus V, and I intend on doing the same for my future phones :)

I'm happy to see you did it without any issues at all! And will continue to update my guide as new things are found that make it even easier, and safer to use.

Congrats on your friends root and i'll see if i make it to seattle anytime soon :p

Happy New Year! :D (if i can still say that lol)

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I just updated the Guide once again to include a 6th note.
It is regarding the Netflix app which i'm sure some of you have noticed doesn't work. The video and audio is out of sync and unwatchable. So I looked up online and discovered a thread that has multiple hacked releases of the Netflix App, in which they disabled the update check, I installed the first one V1.2.1 and am pleased to report that Netflix is now working and in sync! YAY! :D so check out the bottom of the guide to get Netflix on your phone! see ya. :)

Update: This no longer works :-( I guess netflix fixed the "problem" if you could call it that. Oh well no Netflix on my phone anymore!

Last edited:

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Good thing for short guide to refresh my memory lol. One thing I had to do to flash my recovery was to type flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/recovery.img. it would not read the SD card without the /mnt/ command. Maybe put that in the op as a fall back if flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img command comes up invalid. Just trying to help.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

cris95

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
i cant get it to root after downloading flash_zip. cvan you please help
my email is [email address redacted by Mod]

where do i do step 7 at please tell me at [email address redacted by Mod]

i really need help

Last edited by a moderator:

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you in recovery mode? Cause you say your stuck on step 7 which is after you make a backup in recovery mode.

And if you are in recovery mode, then just click the back button and go all the way back, then click what i say to in step 7.

- Ron Paul Revolution, give us back our Constitution! Ron Paul 2012!

jshelaf11

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi my name is joe my email address is joeshelafoe25@gmail.com.

First time on the site I love the help

I was wondering if u could help me with rooting my v.

I got super user on my phone and can't figure out what to do from there if u could help out with extensive step by step that would be gteatly appreciated

I want all the bloatware gone and my cpu faster. And anything u think could make my phone better/faster

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
First thing Joe, remove your email unless you love spam.
Second, if you are rooted and have a recovery, make a backup in recovery, and look into putting a rom on it. That will get rid of the bloat and speed things up. I would recommend starting with Harmonia 1 since it is most similar to to stock. There is a link in my signature.

bunchlox

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Very helpful...worked like a champ! Thank you for this!!!

Got stuck momentarily on a couple things...but not a big deal as answers were all found in replies/comments above (unzip Flash and Recovery [a.img] files, ROM file stays zipped up).

Runs great...it's like I just got a new phone:)

nlorentz

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I went through all the instructions, and everything worked well!

One problem has occurred after the fact. I cannot login to my gmail account now. I have a secondary email account that works fine, but my primary, which I have always used, no longer does on my Optimus V on Harmonia 2. It just says the login information is incorrect, which it is not. I can log in fine on any other device. Any precedent for this?

Thanks.

Electriccars

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I went through all the instructions, and everything worked well!

One problem has occurred after the fact. I cannot login to my gmail account now. I have a secondary email account that works fine, but my primary, which I have always used, no longer does on my Optimus V on Harmonia 2. It just says the login information is incorrect, which it is not. I can log in fine on any other device. Any precedent for this?

Thanks.

Hmm. I'm not sure what could be causing that problem, try doing a factory reset in recovery, and if it still doesn't work, try re flashing, or flash a different version of Harmonia 2, if all that fails then follow the guide and flash bobzhomes ICS ROM. It is better then Harmonia 2 in my opinion. Unless you have to have a great hopspot, it hotspots just not as many devices work with it as do with Harmonia. Thanks for using my guide and good luck. :)