so, I got an 8GB SD card for Christmas and I was going to change over today. I was going to mount the SD card to my laptop, copy the files over, put the new SD card into my phone and paste them back. But when I do, I get an error saying that all 46/47 files in the "res" folder have too long of a name... what do I do? Just rename them all?
    01-01-2012 01:11 PM
    Thats a strange one.. Never gotten that error and I've seen and had some files with some extremely large filenames....

You could just try changing up the method a bit and pull the files off the old card to computer. Then mount and format the new card in your device and hook up via mass storage and transfer from computer to device to put them on the new card.

See if that changes anything before going through renaming 46 files.
    01-01-2012 01:32 PM
    I get the error when I transfer from my phone to the laptop in the beginning
    01-01-2012 01:39 PM
    I've never seen that either. When I went from a 16gb to 32gb card, I copied files from 16gb card to pc. Formated 32gb card on pc and then copied files from pc to the new card. No problems at all.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 01:42 PM
    could it be my laptop just being difficult?
    01-01-2012 01:45 PM
    that happened with my newer "super" win 7, where as my old computer handles it fine.
    if we're talking about the same thing, all my errors were in the sd/clockwork/backup.
    [if you count the TOTAL # of files in that backup i bet its 47]

the first time i used the new card with the errors and just deleted all my backups [on the new card] and did a new backup and everything was fine. when i wanted to use a rom that had been backed up on the old card i just flashed the rom again.

i'm sure somebody has a better way?

NOTE: if you want to use link2sd or an app that needs an sd/ext, partition the card first
    01-01-2012 01:49 PM
    What type of files we talking about? Are they big in size? A possible work around to get them moved would be to upload them to Drop Box and then you can move them back to your new card once swapped out...

Like I said, its a work around... Not solution to the initial problem but it may work in this case.
    01-01-2012 01:50 PM
    okay, I've found the files manually. it's under:
    "Android > data > cam.google.android.apps.books > files > volumes > Y8sOAAAAIAAJ > res
    and most of the files are 10-50kb, but they just have insanely long names
    I don't even know what these files are for. lol
    01-01-2012 01:59 PM
    When it comes to CWM backups, you don't want to play around with pulling them apart.. Either they transfer as is or not...

CWM doesn't make insanely long file names so something else is coming into play here... What I'm not sure...

FYI, I have a Windows 7/64 bit and I haven't had any of these problems moving CWM files around.. Not to say that it can't happen though.
    01-01-2012 02:03 PM
    I downloaded Google Books at one point awhile back... could that be it?
    01-01-2012 02:05 PM
    Rather than connecting your phone to your pc as a mass storage device can you pull the card out of the phone and plug it into the pcs sd card reader? I don't know if that would help.

01-01-2012 02:16 PM
    Cloubusterr what OS is on your computer?

01-01-2012 02:20 PM
    He said in a previous post he was using a new Windows 7 machine... But sounds like he may have an older Windows OS machine too.
    01-01-2012 02:21 PM
    I have Window 7 Ultimate/32 Bit
    01-01-2012 02:29 PM
    if its just google books that shouldn't keep the new card from working
    01-01-2012 02:42 PM
    well, it's the file name that's messing things up. my computer says the file names are too long to transfer from the old card to the laptop
    01-01-2012 02:49 PM
    win 7 is buggy can u try a different computer
    01-01-2012 03:10 PM
    I'm transferring it:
    old SD card > laptop > new SD card
    It's messing up when transferring from the old SD card to the laptop. Therefore, there is nothing on the new SD card.
    01-01-2012 03:13 PM
    i would try transferring it file by file and saving the problem file for last
    01-01-2012 03:19 PM
    That happened to me awhile ago as well. I just told it to delete all the files, haven't had any problems since. Usually those are just cached files or log files that can be easily regenerated by the app. Did you say you don't even have Google books any more? Then it's even less of a problem. I'd just delete 'em. You may, as others suggested, back them up with a backup service not involving your computer, such as dropbox from your phone, just in case. But I doubt anything will happen.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V
    CloudBusterr likes this.
    01-02-2012 12:05 AM
    Well, I deleted the files. The transfer went from my old SD card to the laptop to the new SD card flawlessly. I can't find anything missing on my phone so I'm assuming everything's fine. thanks, guys
    01-02-2012 03:52 AM
    I didn't get that error when I upgraded from 2g to 8g in my OV. I run Windows 7. I also do PC repair & upgrades for a living. Anytime use a brand new " container " to hold files you SHOULD format it first before use ( the only exception to this is an external hard drive which has it's own install software embedded ). Don't assume the new card is ready to use when you buy it from the store. Windows will tell you what the default format is so don't sweat that part.( usually FAT ).Format the new card. Turn your phone OFF & take the old card out. Copy all the old files to your desktop. (No need to change the file format on the old files and it may render the NECESSARY files unreadable !) Copy those files to the new card & re-install it in the phone. Turn it back on and be patient as it may take a little longer for your phone to boot the bigger card at first. No need to change the file names or formats of those files ( which may render those NECESSARY files unreadable ! ) If you are going to make any changes to any files, make sure they are pictures, and only change the names to save space. No need to make things more complicated on yourself than you have to!
    norwoodsteel likes this.
    01-02-2012 08:35 PM
    Hey Paul627g, if your files coming from Windows 7/64 bit have a long file name it's probably due to BitLocker Encryption that the 64 bit version tends to add to your files for security. you don't get that with Windows7/ 32 bit.
    01-02-2012 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD