[Q] Can I change the Smileys in my SMS for custom Smileys?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Title is basically self explanatory, but by default, if I press and hold the Smiley key in my SMS (picture below) it has the Android Smileys. Can I change them somehow to my own custom Smileys? For example :) ): :D, etc. without changing my keyboard by downloading a useless crappy keyboard from the Market? Thanks for any/all the help ahead of time!

SCREENSHOT
4257041e-455a-9d2b.jpg

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well two places to look...

framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/

Is your framework and also has the stock smileys/emoticons located there. These are used in common places where you can type throughout the OS like the browser, email, etc unless those apps override it with their own set of smileys which is uncommon.

You will see they are all "png" images that can be pulled and altered and put back using 7zip or WinRAR then flash or push it back to the device.

Also your Mms.apk will have it own set of images. This will be specifically for using the Messaging application so you will have to change these also...
Mms.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/

Same thing, pull them, change them and then flash or push it back to the device.

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well two places to look...

framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/

Is your framework and also has the stock smileys/emoticons located there. These are used in common places where you can type throughout the OS like the browser, email, etc unless those apps override it with their own set of smileys which is uncommon.

You will see they are all "png" images that can be pulled and altered and put back using 7zip or WinRAR then flash or push it back to the device.

Also your Mms.apk will have it own set of images. This will be specifically for using the Messaging application so you will have to change these also...
Mms.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/

Same thing, pull them, change them and then flash or push it back to the device.

Thank-you, can I do all of this using Root Explorer? And is there a place I can download .PNG Smileys to replace the androids?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Easiest way is to use UOT Kitchen, you can just change the smilies, or a whole lot more. ;)

Oh yeah I forgot UOT has the Smileys. JerryScript, is there a newer update for BACKside? I have the 12-16-2011 build. And ever since the 12-16-2011 update, when I'm connected to WiFi, it doesn't load anything network based that relies on a network connection. Like, it'll connect to the WiFi, just wont load webpages, Facebook, etc.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Try using TitaniumBackup to wipe the MMS cache, then reboot. If that doesn't work, you'll have to do a complete wipe/format most likely.