[Q] Time Without Signal bug fix?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
So Bumblebee has the TWS 50% fix in the framework-res.apk, like the actual bug fix. Is there a way to port the Time Without Signal fix to IHO BACKside CM7.2 on the OV?

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
That would be awesome.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

There's probably a way. I think I'm gonna take a look at the two and see if there's a noticeable difference in the two framework-res.apk's, maybe there's something in the BumbleBee apk that can be swapped or placed into the IHO framework-res.apk to fix the TWS.

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
pretty sure IHO backside doesnt have the TWO bug

I've noticed a TWS on IHO. Especially after I make a call, and hang up, it takes forever to reconnect to 3G.

I just stumbled upon this thread over at XDA, supposedly this app runs a script everytime you turn on your phone and what it does is it immediately enables Airplane Mode on boot up for 12 seconds, and then automatically enables Mobile Network and kills the script so it doesn't run again until the next reboot. Its said that this dramatically helps the TWS, but it was made for Eclair and Froyo, but others said it works with Gingerbread. I uploaded the app to my Dropbox, so you can directly download it.

DOWNLOAD: http://db.tt/ktQ4rvaj

Original Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=938677

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
CM does not have the T.W.O. problem.
You guys are just going to create problems messing with this stuff.

If you are seeing 50% signal, it's because you have only 50% signal or a bad flash/download. You guys are chasing ghosts.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Harmonia and my phone only show's 13% TWS and that's prob cause signal isn't great at my house. I have seen it at 0% at Work. Ran MiRaGe before and didn't have any problems eithed

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with LeslieAnn about you guys chasing ghosts, I have read numerous posts about this stupid 50% thing, but I haven't ever seen it on either stock, bumblebee, or backside. I HAVE seen 50% before... because service sucks at home.

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
On my IHO I noticed then when I wake up my screen sometimes it shows 3G instead of WiFi then after a couple of seconds it reenables the WiFi and I'm good to go.

While I understand this helps to save battery life by shutting off WiFi I'm concerned that it is instead enabling 3G instead, which uses more power (or so I've read).

Ideally I'd like to have WiFi AND 3G disabled when the screen is asleep but I can find no settings for this in IHO settings.

The stock 2.2 rom had the ability to do this.

kraven

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
juicedefender can shut down the 3g when the screens blank.

I started just turning of 3g unless i need it.

On my IHO I noticed then when I wake up my screen sometimes it shows 3G instead of WiFi then after a couple of seconds it reenables the WiFi and I'm good to go.

While I understand this helps to save battery life by shutting off WiFi I'm concerned that it is instead enabling 3G instead, which uses more power (or so I've read).

Ideally I'd like to have WiFi AND 3G disabled when the screen is asleep but I can find no settings for this in IHO settings.

The stock 2.2 rom had the ability to do this.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Use the notification pulldown power control widget included in all CM based ROMs. WIth it, you can disable either wifi and/or 3g without going into airplane mode. ;)

The TWS bug does not exist in Gingerbread based ROMs, it's a Froyo bug that manifests itself by showing exactly 50% time without service all the time.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

That is backwards, 3g is more efficient, which is why it acts that way.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That is backwards, 3g is more efficient, which is why it acts that way.

3G in standby mode will use less power than wifi. Its been tested, retested, reretested, and rereretested. If you are downloading some big file or using internet constantly then wifi is better otherwise let it do its thing. Also remember if you manually shut off your mobile data connection sms/mms will not work properly.

Reactions: MasterTec

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

If you are downloading some big file or using internet constantly then wifi is better otherwise let it do its thing. Also remember if you manually shut off your mobile data connection sms/mms will not work properly.

Gotcha.. thanks for clarifying that for me. So basically for transferring data wifi uses less power but for being available 3G is better for battery life.

Which brings another question - is there a way to disable 3G but retain data connectivity (albeit at slower speeds) and if there was a way would there be any benefit to battery life in doing so?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha.. thanks for clarifying that for me. So basically for transferring data wifi uses less power but for being available 3G is better for battery life.

Which brings another question - is there a way to disable 3G but retain data connectivity (albeit at slower speeds) and if there was a way would there be any benefit to battery life in doing so?

As far as I know we cant toggle between 2g/3g on our phones. It is a limitation of the phone.
In a idle state 3g uses battery only when told to by the OS. Its how android works. If you notice 3g getting used a lot by the phone its a app telling it to connect and check something. SMS uses the cellular network to send and receive messages, however MMS is sent via the data over cellular (3g/2g/1x) and if its not active you cannot download them. When a MMS is received it is via a sms that says hey incoming MMS. That sms also tells the phone that data is needed and android will activate 3g/2g/1x to download the mms.

IMO using something like Green Power is your best solution to getting the most battery out of your phone. It will not limit the capabilities of the phone by shutting things completely off but it extends the life of the battery a good amount.

Also IMO if you want some ungodly amount of standby time or want to be able to use the phone for longer times than your stock battery was even designed for then I suggest a second battery or a extended battery. Personally a second or third battery is probably the best option if you have the ability to tote them around. Like in a brief case or a work backpack/toolbag. That way the phone is still stock size. However if you dont mind carrying a small brick in your pocket then grab a extended battery.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
3G in standby mode will use less power than wifi. Its been tested, retested, reretested, and rereretested.

First I thought this was backwards, then I realized 3G "standby" appears to not be available in stock ROMs?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...344-measure-your-battery-life-brag-about.html

Or does NA just mean he didn't have data?

But the general question: is there something that has to be manually enabled to allow 3G Standby? Because, for me, my idle battery drain is terrible when I'm off Wifi.

Thanks!

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
First I thought this was backwards, then I realized 3G "standby" appears to not be available in stock ROMs?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...344-measure-your-battery-life-brag-about.html

Or does NA just mean he didn't have data?

But the general question: is there something that has to be manually enabled to allow 3G Standby? Because, for me, my idle battery drain is terrible when I'm off Wifi.

Thanks!
Turning off Wifi when the screen is off can save you battery life IF you have no backgrounds apps that send and receive. If you do have those types of apps, Wifi is better than 3G to leave on (not including the current CM7 Wifi issue). If you are using 3G, there is no advantage to turning it off when the phone goes into standby unless you again have background apps that consume bandwidth. 3G consumes the same amount of power as airplane mode if there is no data transferring! My suggestion is to eliminate those types of apps if you don't need them and leave 3G on. That will save you the most amount of battery out of all the mods you can do.

He states that wifi is better than 3g but it excludes CM7 roms. Scrolling up to understand what he is talking about.

The average 3G power use when downloading is 1600mW which is almost twice as much as Wifi, 850mW. This is in contrast to the power use when in standby with no data transferring where 3G consumes the same amount of power as airplane mode and Wifi consumes at least twice as much with Rodimus and at most 34 times as much with the CM7 roms

Which means if you are on IHO a CM7 variant rom then wifi is using more battery in standby than 3G. The poster I was talking to says he is using IHO, as most people have converted to IHO then that would mean 3G trumps wifi in standby mode.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I also want to point out those tests were done on pre-IHO roms. Blarf did some testing as well as others on similar things. Not as concise as mmarz did but non-the-less the results were very similar.

The biggest point is as long as you limit the applications that use data in the background 3g will be better at idle than wifi. However while actively using data wifi is much better.

To answer your question Bigtuna, I dont know of anything I think its baked into the rom. I use Green Power to get better battery life. With limited use of my phone I average 18-26 hours on a full charge.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The biggest point is as long as you limit the applications that use data in the background 3g will be better at idle than wifi. However while actively using data wifi is much better.
This probably has more to do with slow downloads than the actual radio. 3g is much slower than wifi. Given equal time running, wifi will use more power, but instead downloads faster then idles down saving power. In idle mode wifi uses less than 3g while active.

When both radios are in the same state, 3g is more energy efficient.

As far as I know we cant toggle between 2g/3g on our phones. It is a limitation of the phone.
Actually you can, at least on Froyo, it was an old trick to increase battery life before custom roms became mainstream.

Before anyone goes running off to find an app that does it (yes, they exist), keep in mind, that I have no idea how they will work with CM7, but even more worrisome is that many (including myself) have found them to cause network drops. Sometimes to the point of needed to restart the phone or re-activate the phone. Many argued this for weeks, however I could make mine drop the connection repeatedly as could a few others.