Many issues since root + rom

michaels90na

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted the vm670 quite a while ago and after some trouble ended up with backside iho. I started with several others but they werent written for my newer screen I found out. So anyways ever sense I rooted ive had small issues here and there that dont bother me that much. I can deal with little FC's here and there but the biggest issue is after a while of having the ROM it starts having MAJOR problems. After an unspecified amount of time from 2 weeks to 2 months I have to reboot ALL the time. I end up moving up to the newest builds by Jerry but I always end up with the same thing after a while. So this last dec build by jerry he did was fine for a while then my camera now Refuses to work and when started none of the controls show up and when trying to take a pic if FC's and if I wait it freezes my whole phone. So I thought maby if was something I did but before installing any new rom I clear everything but the SD card. I decided to try harmonia 2.01 this time to see what happened and my camera is the same as it was.

I dont want to have to send it back to VM for a replacement since the camera isnt usable but I will if I cant get it to work cause I have to have a camera. Any help with a fix would be much appreciated.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Probably a bad flash. Also you might of forgotten a crucial step. I have the new O V too and have never had any FC with apps or any problems . My camera works perfectly even at 866 overclock.

Last edited:

michaels90na

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I have flashed many many ROMS, no way everyone could come out bad. Ive followed the directions to the T. Could have started with the root method of gingerbreak but if its rooted its rooted right? My camera worked fine up until now. Ive had this phone for 4 months at least and never had a problem before with the camera.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually, yes, every one could be bad.
Have you done an Md5 check on the file on your SDcard? A LOT of usb transfers get errors, much more than people realize. Some cards are cheap and also damage data quite often.

This is before you even start wiping and installing and overclocking.

Reactions: JerryScript

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Also you said you formated everything but the sd card. Does that include dalvik cache under the advanced menu?

IHO Unofficial CM7. 2
BACKside IHO 12212011

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually, yes, every one could be bad.
Have you done an Md5 check on the file on your SDcard? A LOT of usb transfers get errors, much more than people realize. Some cards are cheap and also damage data quite often.

This is before you even start wiping and installing and overclocking.

How do you do this, and what file are you talking about? Also, can reinstalling apps from TB make it FC?

michaels90na

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
How could the file work fine for a long time then out of nowhere start having major issues? Could I move all my files to another sd card and see if that does anything? And yes I do format Delvic.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't format boot, system, data, and cache, then there could be lingering code fragments left behind from a previous ROM install. You may not notice anything at first, but as time goes on, you could have exactly the type of symptoms you describe. That's why a full wipe/format is always recommended when you have issues that aren't resolved by either a reboot, or a reflash of the ROM. ;)

If that doesn't fix the issue, you may have a hardware issue (possible bad internal memory).

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
^Ontop of what they said, I don't believe you can send a rooted phone with cutom recovery/rom for repairs.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

michaels90na

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't format boot, system, data, and cache, then there could be lingering code fragments left behind from a previous ROM install. You may not notice anything at first, but as time goes on, you could have exactly the type of symptoms you describe. That's why a full wipe/format is always recommended when you have issues that aren't resolved by either a reboot, or a reflash of the ROM. ;)

If that doesn't fix the issue, you may have a hardware issue (possible bad internal memory).

Yes I did format everything but the SD card as per your directions I believe.

I DID however find the issue. As leslieAnn pointed out i checked out my Sd card. I put in a spare and the camera started working. At the moment im transfering everything I dont need to my computer and leaving only barebones on the new card to put back in to my phone. Its only 2gb so i cant have a bunch of nandroids and stuff on there cause they take of tons of space.

One thing I could use help on is what files that the system writes to my phone can I delete? Will they write them again if I get rid of them or may it mess up my system?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
yes, reinstalling apps from TB can totally fkcu up a rom installation, especially if your restoring all the app data and system apps from between froyo to gingerbread.

always, always. ALWAYS start fresh

Reactions: dwappo

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
yes, reinstalling apps from TB can totally fkcu up a rom installation, especially if your restoring all the app data and system apps from between froyo to gingerbread.

always, always. ALWAYS start fresh

On that note, one of my biggest complaints with TB is it's labeling, it's not plain English. It's not a very intuitive program, and while I admit it is useful and extremely powerful, that power makes it risky. Unless you know EXACTLY what is being restored, you can cause some real problems.

While trying to restore a random set of settings, it was restoring system settings and trashing my install. This was why I switched to MyBackup Pro in the first place, it was just easier to deal with. Granted it can't do as many tricks, but it also hasn't caused me to trash an install either.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
On that note, one of my biggest complaints with TB is it's labeling, it's not plain English. It's not a very intuitive program, and while I admit it is useful and extremely powerful, that power makes it risky. Unless you know EXACTLY what is being restored, you can cause some real problems.

While trying to restore a random set of settings, it was restoring system settings and trashing my install. This was why I switched to MyBackup Pro in the first place, it was just easier to deal with. Granted it can't do as many tricks, but it also hasn't caused me to trash an install either.

Does MyBackup install the apps by itself, or do you have to go through that thing like TB?

Also, whats with MB wanting to store stuff online? Is this a good option?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Does MyBackup install the apps by itself, or do you have to go through that thing like TB?

Also, whats with MB wanting to store stuff online? Is this a good option?

I don't store stuff online, but you could. I backup to SD then copy that to my system.

As for MyBackup Pro, it works in a similar way, but not exactly. They have a 30 day trial, give it a shot. Also, it's on sale for half price right now last I looked. Best $3 you will spend on your phone, I can't recommend it enough.

If you want to know a good, reliable way to backup, ask a dev. We are backing up, restoring, wiping etc.. constantly. I swear I could do backups in my sleep. Check the Harmonia 2 threads first post (in my signature), in the tips section is my guide to backing up.

Reactions: dwappo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay