01-26-2012 06:52 PM
32 12
tools
    I absolutely love BACKside IHO on my OV, but don't get me wrong, I kinda miss Froyo at times. Tonight I'm debating whether or not to flash a Froyo ROM to satisfy my craving. So here's a question for you guys, if you had to choose between Froyo or Gingerbread, or per say what's your favorite? And if you choose Froyo, which Froyo ROM would you suggest/use for our OV's?

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
    IHO BACKside CM7.2
    "Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"
    01-12-2012 08:31 PM
    I think Gingerbread is better for 70% and Froyo for the other 30%. Don't ask me why, just what I think. Probably because it is newer than Froyo. lol.
    01-12-2012 08:35 PM
    Gingerbread without hesitation. The biggest is that seemingly ever growing list of malware that exploits 2.2 Smoother, faster, better performance, better battery life, and just plain better to look at. Stock Android from 1.0 to 2.3 is ugly but 2.3 is the least ugly.
    01-12-2012 08:39 PM
    I personally don't care. As long as it does what i need it to. Froyo was as functional as gingerbread is to me.

I agree above about newer os though. It is nice having the latest greatest stuff for your device. I like to fiddle with new features whether or not i use them.

Sent from your mom's phone.
    01-12-2012 08:41 PM
    Now that I have Harmonia 2 hammered out and IHO is pretty much matching Froyo for battery life, Gingerbread.

Before that, I could go either way, it didn't really matter.
    GB had a few extra features, and ran some things better, but battery life wasn't quite there. Most of the benefits of Froyo have been carried over and we are nearing the limits of what can and should be done with Froyo (without a lot of work).
    01-12-2012 09:37 PM
    the newest most bug free software should be run at all times.

right now, 2.3 has been tweaked enough that it runs very nicely on the OV. it might not have had an "official" release, but considering what we DO have, theres no reason to run anything less. the IHO roms are awesome, anyone who thinks froyo is better is probably stuck in old ways of thinking. like that one dude who refused to use the new market.

things change. and thats just how it is.
    01-13-2012 12:00 AM
    I was on the froyo boat for a while, because I had spent alot of time theming it and had changed everything dark and the statusbar icons to white and it was real pretty, but I'm really digging the minimalism of these iho roms.
    01-13-2012 12:04 AM
    I too would choose 2.3.7 because 1, its smoother 2, faster 3, the newer plus we don't have an official gingerbread 4, I really never liked the stock optimus v rom. But them again the froyo roms have Great battery better them GB. At least that what I've read.

Hormonia 2.03 GB
    01-13-2012 12:19 AM
    What is there to miss about Froyo? IHO CM7.1 = Mobile Hotspot for my netbook or PC, Better use of hardware resources, Better signal & tower switching, FULLER internet experience due to HTML support, MY OV RUNS Flash 10.3 NOW, NO Bloatware, No Carrier IQ ware. Froyo = No hotspot for my netbook, bad resource use, low memory problems, Bloatware, Carrier IQware, Less internet due to no support of HTML or Flash. Why would you miss any of this? It would be like saying you miss rush hour traffic after a quiet weekend in the country! Why would you eat just vanilla ice cream when you can have the whole banana split?!?
    clodfelterac and primalist like this.
    01-13-2012 10:56 AM
    I believe the popularity of CM7 ( over 1,000,000 users strong ) is largely due to the fact that it's better than anything Google is offering us. We want better control over our most personal device, our phone. A custom ROM offers us that. For most of us our choice of cell phone is very personal. We have spoken and we just want better!
    clodfelterac likes this.
    01-13-2012 11:05 AM
    It would be like saying you miss rush hour traffic after a quiet weekend in the country!
    Pretty funny.

I also prefer GB. Harmonia 2, in fact.. Still haven't updated to the current version though.. I think I'll do that today.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    01-13-2012 11:56 AM
    What is there to miss about Froyo? IHO CM7.1 = Mobile Hotspot for my netbook or PC, Better use of hardware resources, Better signal & tower switching, FULLER internet experience due to HTML support, MY OV RUNS Flash 10.3 NOW, NO Bloatware, No Carrier IQ ware. Froyo = No hotspot for my netbook, bad resource use, low memory problems, Bloatware, Carrier IQware, Less internet due to no support of HTML or Flash. Why would you miss any of this? It would be like saying you miss rush hour traffic after a quiet weekend in the country! Why would you eat just vanilla ice cream when you can have the whole banana split?!?
    The OV never had Carrier IQ.
    01-13-2012 05:02 PM
    Performance and battery matters so I only use Froyo. IHO isn't as smooth as BumbleBee and my battery can get close to 2 days without issue, whereas on IHO I can barely reach 20 hours with the exact same apps.
    01-13-2012 06:56 PM
    A note about battery life. IHO ROMs get about a day on a charge. I don't know any reason not to charge overnite, so anything more is kinda useless IMHO. Let's say you can get two full days on Bumblebee, with light usage. So you go a full day without charging, and don't charge overnite, then you get a phone call that keeps you on the phone for almost an hour. Now your phone is not going to make it to the end of that second day, so you have to charge in the middle of the day. I personally perfer to charge each nite, and never worry about making it through the day.

I perfer Gingerbread for the code updates. OV's stock Froyo does not have stagefright working, so you get much better video performance on Gingerbread. Froyo does not have ....

I could go on and on, but simple fact is, Gingerbread, and I mean IHO's kang of CM, has about 60 features that you can only get on Froyo by downloading an additional 50 apps. Why waste space downloading apps for something that could (read should) be built into the system?
    drezliok and notufatjesus like this.
    01-14-2012 01:22 AM
    I believe the popularity of CM7 ( over 1,000,000 users strong ) is largely due to the fact that it's better than anything Google is offering us. We want better control over our most personal device, our phone. A custom ROM offers us that. For most of us our choice of cell phone is very personal. We have spoken and we just want better!
    CM7 offers a better rom than carriers and manufacturers do. The vanilla rom created by google is not what is installed on 99.9% of all devices. All carriers add some sort of crap to the phone and end up making them suck.
    01-14-2012 02:17 AM
    A note about battery life. IHO ROMs get about a day on a charge. I don't know any reason not to charge overnite, so anything more is kinda useless IMHO. Let's say you can get two full days on Bumblebee, with light usage. So you go a full day without charging, and don't charge overnite, then you get a phone call that keeps you on the phone for almost an hour. Now your phone is not going to make it to the end of that second day, so you have to charge in the middle of the day. I personally perfer to charge each nite, and never worry about making it through the day.
    Personally, I don't spend too many nights with my charger, what with work & school and all. BumbleBee suits my style. I know typically I go to sleep with my phone sitting at 50%-40% and I'll wake up not too far from that. With the commute and all the time I spend on it I'm damn well surprised I can make it close to two days. By days I mean in hour count. I can make it to about 1d 14h on a regular "2 day" from wake to sleep.

IHO starts to collapse before I leave school. I typically have 30-25 percent and I won't make it through the next night, and this sucks on nights i am away from the house for work.

I love CM, and I love CM7, but it is inefficient with my lifestyle. I know the guys porting CM7 aren't supermen, some thing's won't be superior to stock in some ways. Sadly, I gotta use it. It gives me the best battery life, and I don't have to worry about my time away from the house.

Lastly, to be honest, I hate the pre-GB stock theme. It is an eyesore beyond words. Simply off of that GB is much better to Froyo, but yeah, my battery can't make it.

Everyone's mileage will vary. That is my story.
    01-14-2012 03:41 AM
    I always go back to Reborn ROM (Froyo ROM). It's buttery smooth and I'm a sucker for Sense so its perfect for me. Also has the ability to enable stagefright and HW acceleration.

01-14-2012 03:44 PM
    Every version of android supports HTML... If it didn't you wouldn't have a web browser. Maybe you are talking about HTML5..

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    01-14-2012 05:18 PM
    Well, there may not be much to miss about Froyo, but your reasoning for saying so is entirely wrong... "no portable hotspots"... maybe you don't have market installed on your phone, cuz theres a million tether apps out there.

If your "froyo" rom had all those problems maybe it wasn't froyo... in fact... maybbe you weren't even running android.

And plus... I freaking love vanilla ice cream don't bash it
    01-14-2012 10:55 PM
    froyo bumblebee rom to me is best I tried ov.ics final,iho 7.2,harmonia which is the best but I like my skyfire video it plays flawless on froyo and don't play on gingerbread but the bumblebee rom is super smoth and really fast
    01-24-2012 05:47 PM
    hey can anyone recommend something better than juice defender????
    01-24-2012 06:05 PM
    Yeah, no silly battery saving apps at all.

01-24-2012 06:29 PM
    Juicedefender actually chomped on my battery fast.

Yeah, no silly battery saving apps at all.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    01-24-2012 06:30 PM
    Juicedefender actually chomped on my battery fast.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

really?? that sucks so any alternatives?
    01-24-2012 06:59 PM
    really?? that sucks so any alternatives?
    Its called the power control widget and it comes pre-installed on a lot of devices these day

Hell most phones already turn off wifi when the screen goes to sleep or turn off 3g when wifi is activated.

Its pointless to get a separate app for VERY easily controlled features
    01-24-2012 07:30 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD