Optimus V Community Build Server

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Note: This is for OV devs (primarily ICS) and only for the discussion of the server.
Tricks and tips, problem solving etc., discussion of building ICS itself should be left in the ICS thread.

Backstory for those interested:
TDM and I setup a server for you guys to build from. Many of you seem to have rather weak computers for building (ICS especially) and this gives you the opportunity to not only offload the building to a fast, remote system, therefore freeing your computer, but also allows you to build from your phone with only an ssh client. My hope is that it will speed up development since you can build anytime and quickly.

The server:
The server is up and running and has been shown to be very fast. Android SDK, NDK, repo script, and other minor things are pre-installed. It even has a cached copy of ICS. All you have to do is make your changes and start your build. This servers only job is to build roms for the OV. Server specs are posted at the end.

Note: I have no problem with builders who wish to build their IHO roms on it as well. For anyone concerned with it slowing the machine, it builds GB in no time (only a few minutes), so it's effect on ICS builds will be pretty much nill.

Build times for IHO GB are:
First build is less than 15 minutes
Second build is under 5 minutes

Getting started:
Step 1.
PM me a username and password (passwords will need at least upper and lower case, and a number).
I will setup your account and give you the server address and info you need to connect.

Note: In order to get access, you need to be active in the ICS build thread (or IHO thread). All others will be taken on a case by case basis. This is a build box to help the community, not to play around on. The more people using it, the slower it will be.

Step 2.
Once you have your login you need an SSH client.
For Windows users, I recommend Putty or Portable Putty (runs off thumbdrives). Putty works just like Terminal in Ubuntu.

Step 3
You can use an SSHFTP client such as Filezilla or Portable Filezilla to transfer files between your computer and the server.

Tips and tricks are in post #2

Server Hardware:
Intel Core2Quad 9550 (as fast as an older Core I7, currently not overclocked) Asus P5Q Pro Turbo 8gb of Gskill DDR2 ram 1Tb Western Digital Caviar Black (one of the fastest conventional drives) Nvidia something or other graphics (it's a server, who cares) Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64bit 32meg Internet connection (up to) Headless (no monitor) Hosting location, dead center of the US.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android Central Optimus V Community ICS Build Server

Tips and Tricks:
Additionally, for those who want to use this box, I would strongly recommend using rsync to pull the files you build to your local machine. It will drastically cut down the time it takes to fetch files and save bandwidth as well. If you aren't familiar with rsync, there should be tons of info available on it, just use google.

Reactions: markusf21

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android Central Optimus V Community Build Server

Wow, this is a great community service. I will keep this in mind in case my server decides to take a break. Thank you, LeslieAnn and Tdm.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
This looks really great! The closer we get to ICS, the happier I get :) Is ICS actually bootable or functional yet? If it is, I might try building on my own laptop just to play around with.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

Discovered

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I have gathered it's not quite to that point yet. And if it does boot I imagine without major tweaks it will run slowly

Tapatalked

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

The server will probably be back online tomorrow afternoon, about 3pm central if all is fine. I'll post an update when it does.

I shut it down to keep it from switching over to battery backup while the storms pass (first tornadoes, now 70+ mph winds). If we lose power, I never know when this place will get it back and I need to make sure I have every single minute of power possible.

Sorry for any trouble this may cause.
Leslie

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for keeping us informed LeslieAnn!

Glad to hear you made it through the storms ok! ;)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.
I'm going to see about fixing the generator before things get bad again.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

My messages dont seem to want to send to you, so ill post here. Ill try out the build server. id be happy to. Would i have to downgrade to ubuntu 10.04?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

By default this forum doesn't keep a copy in sent messages unless you tell it to for every message.

Invincible Madness

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
This is super fast and awesome. Thanks so much Leslie.
So, since it has everything we need on it already, it doesn't matter if I don't have java, SDK, other stuff or even if I switch to a dif version of Linux right. I guess so but thought I'll double check before doing so.

Thanks again. :)