Need Advice.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first Android phone that I ever had, and my SD card mounter broke. So now I need a new motherboard and my father wants me to take it to Sprint, but the phone is custom'd out. Custom Rom, Custom Recovery, Custom Bootanimations as well. But I can't change any of it without a SD card. What might Sprint say?( I'm only 13 ), Please and Thank you. :D

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember off hand how but you can load a custom rom using a usb cord. If it helps any I frequent the sprint hero xda forums lg optimus m and s doesn't really narrow it down but if you put in the correct magical words maybe google won't fail.
I'm knee deep making a video tutorial or I would help you

If your phone originally came with 2.2.1 you can use fastboot

this isn't the post I was talking about but curiousity killed the can't look here

Last edited:

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, but, what about Sprint? I will defiantly try flashing more roms. Longest i stayed on I custom rom was 3 days. :p

But what will Sprint probably say about thr custom romness?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey curiousnoob, I got a brilliant Idea. I use this thing called Droid Explorer and I can run a terminal emulator/command prompt for the phone on my computer as well as explor the root files. technically you dont need an sdcard to do this, so you could use it, download a ROM and place it on your desktop and flash it via a command prompt or somethin... its worth a shot. heres a link

d-fitzpatrick

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
It looks as though you would be in a better position for phone replacement (under the total protection plan) had you lost the phone vs having it malfunction. I would recommend speaking with a local tech on a hypothetical basis, to find out what their stance on the matter is.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Every time I have heard of someone taking a Virgin phone to Sprint, they were pretty much told they don't service or deal at all with Virgin. Remember, stores are independent of Sprint, and Virgin operates a s separate entity.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I just need a way to use recovery, without actually having to use a SD card. How can I change the recovery though ADB? <---Before that, help me set up ADB please? :D

Got ADB from SuperOne click. Now how can I flash a custom recovery without having to do the /sdcard/flash_image/..... stuff? I can't find one without SD card in it. :c

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
LesliAnn is correct most Sprint stores are independently owned. And as pointed out Sprint says its teh techs decision to offer service or not. However if the phone is not under warranty then there should be no reason not to. If the tech knows this then the chances they will work on it is greater. But I know the local sprint store here charges $65 to do out of warranty work, then you factor in the part and Im sure it will not be cheap if bought from them.

My recommendation is call the local Sprint store talk to the manager. Tell him the situation and find out how much they would charge. If he wont call another one or tell him look Im trying to convince my dad to let me buy a new phone, I need a price so I can show him how much it will cost versus how much a new phone will cost. If they have any sense the dollar signs will pop into their eyes and give you a price.

A new phone is your best bet mate. I mean spending 100 bucks on a phone that can be bought for around that price is nuts.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
LesliAnn is correct most Sprint stores are independently owned. And as pointed out Sprint says its teh techs decision to offer service or not. However if the phone is not under warranty then there should be no reason not to. If the tech knows this then the chances they will work on it is greater. But I know the local sprint store here charges $65 to do out of warranty work, then you factor in the part and Im sure it will not be cheap if bought from them.

My recommendation is call the local Sprint store talk to the manager. Tell him the situation and find out how much they would charge. If he wont call another one or tell him look Im trying to convince my dad to let me buy a new phone, I need a price so I can show him how much it will cost versus how much a new phone will cost. If they have any sense the dollar signs will pop into their eyes and give you a price.

A new phone is your best bet mate. I mean spending 100 bucks on a phone that can be bought for around that price is nuts.

The ov is on sale at bestbuy for $100 and you get a $50 gift card

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Any1?

Maybe if adb allows you to flash things from your computer straight onto the phone,you could just place it in a convenient location on your pc and instead of typing a location on the phone in adb you would type a location on the pc to flash to the recovery resting place on the phone. I don't know alot about adb,but I tried;)

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if adb allows you to flash things from your computer straight onto the phone,you could just place it in a convenient location on your pc and instead of typing a location on the phone in adb you would type a location on the pc to flash to the recovery resting place on the phone. I don't know alot about adb,but I tried;)

Thanks for trying, but I need straight directions. :p

Im kinda planning on getting the Triumph.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So that others who may have a broken sdcard holder and need to fix their phones know, this is how I helped CuriousNoob via PM:
JerryScript said:
Try this, replacing FILE_NAME with the name of the recovery image:
Code:
adb remount
adb push PATH_TO_FILE/FILE_NAME /system/media/FILE_NAME
adb shell
flash_image recovery /system/media/FILE_NAME
exit
adb shell reboot recovery
adb remount = make the system read/write (r/w)
adb push = copy the file from PC to phone, PATH_TO_FILE means if the file is on your C drive not in any folder then PATH_TO_FILE=C:/ and you would type:
Code:
adb push C:/FILE_NAME /system/media/FILE_NAME
adb shell = open the phone's shell, you should see a # sign for a prompt
flash_image = the command to flash the recovery to your phone
exit = exit the phone's shell
adb shell reboot recovery = reboot your phone into the new recovery (if everything worked ;))
There were issues along the way with a corrupt download of flash_image, but I just got PM'd that it flashed successfully. ;)

I choose /system/media because it's a location with easily replaced items (sound files and bootanimation). If you use a different folder, be sure it doesn't contain important or hard to replace files!

Reactions: CuriousNoob

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I've also had pretty good luck with an old laptop running the latest version of Ubuntu as a solitary OS. ( a great way to recycle an old machine !) Ubuntu is Linux software ( as is all droid software really! ) and has a terminal emulator built right in. It will accept a droid with no driver problems. You should get access thru the usb connection. LeslieAnn is right.. you won't be able to take that phone to a Sprint store. They will only give you "second class " treatment. Best Buys , maybe but it's a stretch at best. I really wish you luck on this one and let this forum know how you resolved your problem. There may be someone else out there who can benefit from your experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown